Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reverse scan for DeVry - XD

Author Topic: Reverse scan for DeVry - XD
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be running a batch of these soon. If anyone here with DeVrys is intersted please contact me soon.
Thanks!
Mark @ New GTS

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-24-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, it's a little early for April Fools. Why would someone with those machines be concerned about good sound...or good anything?

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you may be misjudging the DeVrys.

I don't know when Herman A. DeVry, Inc., of Chicago, folded, but I do know that a number of DeVrys are still in use. When a friend and I re-opened a closed single screen house in Lynwood, CA, back in 1973, we were obliged by financial constraints to put DeVrys in the stripped booth, and they put a good picture on the screen for us for many years.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-24-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I know...I've run dailies with them! Not by choice mind you. What was on the screen was satisfactory but they were annoying to run. As soon as I had the chance I upgraded--if you want to call it that and I do--by putting in a couple of Super Simplexes and RCA's that were gathering dust. By present values it would be hard to imagine anyone wanting one when old Supers can be had for fifty bucks or less (if they don't just give it to you).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2002 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Its still the most popular film collectors machine! So why shouldn't it have decent sound as well?
Mark @ Home

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DeVry's are good machines. I'd also like to see them outfited with large reel arms and a place to mount a DTS time code reader and/or a Kelmar film cleaner.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-24-2002 10:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My main recollection of the DeVry's was that they would always shred any loop I cared to run. I never figured out how they knew it was a loop but they seemed to. And that was even threading the full path so the dummy sprocket wasn't an issue.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree never could get a loop to run and they didn't like taped overlapped splices

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The semi-portable has the film shedder clutch sprocket if not maintained, but the the delux model ( 2810? ) had all sprockets driven. The existing lens tube is very low fidelity ( O.K. for 1940's ). I did convert one with a Japanese laser and stereo cell with good results.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: