Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ali is not floating like a butterfly... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ali is not floating like a butterfly...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a first for us. Ordinarily we take up nice and tight...nice and smooth. This is how our print of Ali is taking up and paying out.

There is no visible damage to this print. There are no raised sprockets.

It was brand new when it went to another theatre for two screenings then straight to us. It took up badly there also.

Suggestions?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2002 02:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have any problems with the two prints of Ali I played, but I have heard a lot of people with severe problems with that title. Some even so much that a complete replacement print had to be secured. I think this is even mentioned somewhere here in the FHF. Might want to do a search.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad

We have requested another print. There's no way I'm going to attempt to move this.

The prints, BTW, are local.

------------------

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2002 02:46 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently encountered a print of "Brotherhood of the Wolf" that looked and ran identical to this. Although it is not the regular practice, wrapping the emulsion side in on the platter really seemed to help this unusual "warped" effect.

-- Jeff

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come this stuff never happens with reels?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank

Good to hear from you again.

This print would do the same on 6k's for sure. It's got the same effect as it would have had it been taken up with a very loosened off take up belt...even worse perhaps.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. I've tried soundtrack up then soundtrack down. There's minimal difference. It takes up very marginally better down, but it's still loose as a you-know-what.

------------------

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that can happen with film mounted on 2,000 foot spools, though I've only experienced it with nitrate and acetate, not polyester. The reason it happens in nitrate and acetate is that the base shrinks over time as the nitric or acetic acid leaches out of it. Eventually the shrinking base puts pressure on, and then deforms the emulsion, resulting in uneven winding.

It's not too much of an issue with nitrate because if a reel is measured at over 3% linear shrinkage, it's not safe to project. But early acetate prints are still shown in rep houses after quite severe shrinkage, and in these places having a separate motor driving the take-up spool (as distinct from the take-up spool being driven by a chain or belt from the main motor) is useful, because you can increase the pressure slightly to ensure a smooth take-up.

But as I say, I've never experienced this syndrome with polyester, which is not supposed to shrink. Given that this is an almost new print, the only guesses which come to mind are that (i) it was dried too intensively by the air knife in the lab's processing machine, which caused the swollen emulsion to shrink very rapidly, thus distorting the base, and (ii) the effect of a static electricity build-up. However, if you've never experienced this problem with any other films, it does seem that this is print-specific. A fault with the antistatic layer on the print stock, perhaps?

On balance, I'd vote for the emulsion having been shrunk by overdrying, as this is consistent with Jeff's observation that the uneven winding is reduced by mounting the print emulsion in.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John....I gotta tell ya, that thing looks VERY scary. And you say it shows no sign of any physical malformation? Is it unusually noisy in the projector head? If you take a lengh of it -- about 3 feet and pull it gently taut between both hands, does that length remain flat between your hands or do you see any twisting in it...same thing laying it on a flat surface, it should lay perfectly flat....no obvious uneven asymetrical curl. Lastly, has anyone put an evil eye curse on it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2002 04:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What film stock is it on? What lab was it printed at?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:29 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Peter Berrett's dog may have pee'd on it at some point.

If you pull a three feet section and hold only one edge doing this, the other edge is far from tight. I would say it's in the printing, but the distributor says we are the only ones to complain...of course, not many theatres have thought about moving it yet. Maybe on Thursday morning they may be getting a few phone calls from around the traps for replacement prints because they have just lost it all over the floor. (We run Thursday to Wednesday).

Just remember...you heard it here first, folks.

------------------

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sounding more and more like the print's NFG.

When you pull the three-foot section and it curls, is the emulsion on the concave or convex side?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:41 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get the stock details tomorrow when I'm back in.

------------------

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-25-2002 04:43 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, it's not so much of a curl...more like a flip flop. I'll get a shot of it tomorrow to show you all.

------------------

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2002 08:09 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intesting about your print of ALI John,Our print is taking up smooth and tight with the same platters as yours.I 'm guessing that our print came from the same lab as your's also.Actually I moved it the other day and it remained tight so perhapes your print is of a different stock.Do you take up with sound track up or down.

Steve.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-25-2002 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a number of prints of Harry Potter like that but even worse. Look at the perfs in that wavey area VERY closely.
MArk @ Old GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: