Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong FXPS boost circuit

Author Topic: Strong FXPS boost circuit
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-26-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to run a 7k FXPS at low current (3-4kW ... another story...) and the boost voltage gets too low, as this voltage varies according to the taps used - and the pulse ignitor needs a lot of voltage. At the required lamp current the ignitor operation is unreliable, with reliable ignition the current is way hot.
Has anyone got a way to increase this voltage? I've added extra windings to other brands of rectifier, but I don't have one of these here to check if that is possible. I expect to go out and look at one tomorrow morning, but if anyone has done it and can give me ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
BTW, the drawing in the manual has some glaring errors, so I'm not trusting it much. Parts would blow up good if it was wired as drawn, so I have to check some details on a working unit. The backwards main diodes are obvious, but what limits the zener current? Humbug.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-26-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kniesly makes a boost supply board that is basically a 110-110 v isolation transformer that has a half wave rectifier output (i usually put in a full bridge) this is parreleled to the output filter cap
It is controlled by the same relay board that they use in the auto ignitor but with a 56v zenier

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What make and model lamphouse is this power supply being used with?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-27-2002 01:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spark gap setting OK? Is the Zener OK? Zeners are cheap. I would just replace it with something Gordon mentioned....

I had a very unreliable igniter in one of my Super Lumex's. When I inspected it, there was enough room for a bumblebee to walk through the gap. I reset the gap, and it fires every time now.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 03:57 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been through this, but the opposite way around ie the rectifier was giving me way too much OCV, and the resultant enormous inrush current was destroying bulbs in 400 hours! I feel that 300 V DC is possibly a little excessive!

On the boost transformer there are some wires ( I forget how many ) sticking out, these are taps. They are described in the book somewhere. It tells you only to connect to a specific pair, but I found that if you experiment with other pairs ( they aren't marked at all ) you can raise or lower the OCV. I had this problem with Strong FXPS, I assume that the primary transformers are wound for US line voltage, (380v?) and ours at 415 causes higher OCV?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 06:41 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power in the U.S. is generally 208 - 230 VAC.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas.
I'm going out to have a good look at one now. I don't want to add an additional boost transformer but it is an option. I'll see if the 208 3ph ones have boost taps - maybe this is only on 380/415 models?
The DC pulse ignitor isn't the problem - we've swapped between a few units and all are the same, working perfectly at "too high" current and badly at "OK" current for the smaller lamp.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so you guys have something in the order of half of our phase to phase voltage? Assuming the transformers are the same, it's little surprise that I have to play around with those taps when I install one of these rectifiers!
The book I have for them makes no distinction between US/Euro models, other than that ours have a 240-110v transformer to drive the lamphouse fans etc. (That transformer is no end of trouble too, but that's another story!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: