Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Widescreen Cinema Conference 2003

Author Topic: Widescreen Cinema Conference 2003
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 03:08 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case any of you guys out there feel the need to share your feelings about the development of Widescreen Cinema I am posting below the call for papers for a conference we are co-hosting with Sheffield Hallam University in July next year.

CALL FOR PAPERS

W I D E S C R E E N C I N E M A

AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

Sheffield Hallam University and the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, Bradford

10-13 July, 2003

2003 sees the 50th anniversary of the introduction of CinemaScope. A significant innovation in an era of aesthetic, technological and industrial change, CinemaScope followed on from earlier, less-successful widescreen and large-screen formats and helped establish widescreen cinematography and presentation as a new norm for commercial films. It also helped spur the development of stereo sound. In order to mark the anniversary of CinemaScope, Sheffield Hallam University is organizing a conference and invites contributions on any aspect of the history, technology, aesthetics and economics of widescreen cinema and its impact on the film and media industries, culture and society. Keynote speakers will include Charles Barr, John Belton and David Bordwell, and the conference will held at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television in Bradford, the only public cinema outside America equipped to show Cinerama films in their original format.
Proposals should be no more than 300 words long and should include your full contact details. Proposals should be sent to Steve Neale, Research Professor in Film, Media and Communication Studies, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, S11 8UZ, UK (e-mail: s.b.neale@shu.ac.uk). It is planned to publish a selection of papers in book form.

The deadline for proposals is November 30th 2002

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 03:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence! I re-read Charles Barr's 1960s paper on Cinemascope as recently as Monday night after coming across a photocopy of it whilst looking through a box of notes dating from when I was a student on his MA course...

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 04:40 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo

Want to book your ticket now

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 04:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might even get a paper proposal if I can (i) drag myself out of the film vault and (ii) come up with a brainwave...

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the updated blurb on the Widescren Conference.

If anyone needs more information send me an e-mail

2003 sees the 50th anniversary of the introduction of CinemaScope. A
significant innovation in an era of aesthetic, technological and
industrial change, CinemaScope followed on from and ultimately superseded earlier large_screen formats such as Cinerama, and helped establish widescreen cinematography and presentation as a new norm for commercial films.
It also helped spur the development of stereo sound.

In order to mark the anniversary of CinemaScope, Sheffield Hallam
University and the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television are hosting an international conference on all aspects of the history, technology,aesthetics and economics of widescreen cinema and its impact on the film and media industries, culture and society. Over thirty speakers will be giving papers,including Charles Barr, John Belton, David Bordwell, Marshall Deutelbaum, Joanne Hollows, Mark Jancovich, Peter Krämer, Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, V.F.Perkins, Douglas Pye, Tom Ryall and Maureen Turim.

The conference will also include a number of related screenings, including Cinerama films shown in their original three-strip format.

Thursday 10 July
4.00 Screening: Land of the Pharaohs (PC)
4.00 Screening: Yesterday's Enemy (CBC)
7.00 Welcome + Keynote (1)
8.15 Screening: This is Cinerama (PC)
8.30 Screening: Junior Bonner (CBC)

Friday 11 July
9.00-6.15 Five panels
7.30 Screening: The Cardinal (PC)
8.00 Screening: The Big Trail (CBC) [tbc]

Saturday 12 July
9.30-12.30 Keynote (2) + Panel
1.30 Screening: How the West Was Won (PC)
2.00 Screening: The Red Desert (CBC)
4.45-6.30 Panel
7.45 Screening: The Miracle of Todd-AO + The Last Valley (PC)
8.00 Screening: Death by Hanging or The Hidden Fortress (CBC) [tbc]

Sunday 13 July
9.30-4.15 Keynote (3) + Three panels
4.30 Screening: 2001: A Space Odyssey (PC)
4.30 Screening: The Savage Innocents (CBC)

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 03:29 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the final conference programme including(revised) list of titles being screened.

http://www.nmpft.org.uk/film/ws_weekend.asp#k1

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What projector was used for 70 formats in the 1950's prior to the introduction of the Century JJ in 1960?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe granddaddy of them offcourse the phillips AA2 (DP70)
the prototype film dailies were screened apparently on a converted ernamann

The other machines before the JJ were the Bauer U2 (national70)
The Victoria 10

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Links to history of DP70 and Todd-AO 70mm:

http://www.dp70.com/

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingto1.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: