Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Room Tuning w/ Multiple Microphones

Author Topic: Room Tuning w/ Multiple Microphones
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-27-2002 01:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an RTA with a calibrated microphone, but I've never been happy with the resultant "sweet spot."

Does anybody here use multiple microphones and, if so, do you go through a mixer or a multiplexer?

What's the ideal microphone spec for room tuning with multiple microphones?

Is it true that multiple mics don't have to be calibrated to the RTA?

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple miking through a multiplexer is preferred, especially in wide and stadium rooms as being built these days. Ultra-Stereo multiplexer with four mikes ( which are calibrated and numbered to work with the multiplexer box ) is around $1100.00 street price. I just inspected a complex we sold with CP650s where we had a dispute with the customer and we did not do the initial installation. Our crew is retuning the complex now because the local guy used a single mike and punched up "Auto EQ" which gave him very tubby sounding results since the software assumes you are using a multiplex set and severly overcorrected the rooms........we can't wait for this guy to go into his new business....selling fried chicken. ....can not totally blame the guy since the cinema owner doesn't pay enough for him to maintain a basic test set for his market.
Richard Fowler
TVP-theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminded me to ask the following: Does anyone rent a multiplexer and the calibrated test mics? We installed a CP650 here, and don't have the equipment or the money to purchase a multiplexer or a tech to bring one. Between the software and my ears, we have it sounding pretty good, but I know we could do better. If any of you have any information, please let me know. Thanks.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-27-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This raises another question:

I was taught that the mics were calibrated to the RTA and not to the multiplexer.

Could someone clarify what is being calibrated?

------------------

~Manny.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the case of the Ultra Stereo MUX the mics are not really calibrated at all. They are just high quality mics, In fact the same Countryman mics that THX uses I believe, they have a pretty flat response within reason. The preamps and muxing are done in the black box that hooks to your analyzer. Set all the mics to the same level and then go. Its still a very BIG compromise but at least a step in the right direction as far as taking the room into consideration.
In the case of the THX R-2 there is alot more going on and eq offsets are applied to each mic via the software operating system. The mics are calibrated by THX personell before they leave the Pixel Plant.
Mark @ NEW GTS

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 05:24 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess one good reason for multiple mikes would be to offset room modes from the theater architecture....a topic that I do not ever remember being discussed but was demonstrated to me by THX.

Room Modes can really be something. I was in a brand new THX theater that was just being set to open. With test sound track running, stand in one spot and be blasted by sound, then move over a few inches and it was nice an quiet...all throughout the theater. This is something that architects try to minimize.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-27-2002 05:52 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info...The USL MMP-10 Multiplexer looks good. I'll investigate cost.

By the way, I downloaded the user manual and it says: "Each microphone is calibrated with its multiplexer to insure utmost accuracy."

They are indeed Countryman lab grade test mics.

------------------

~Manny.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-27-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple microphones are the way to go.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Countryman mikes come in different versions.....I had a client complaining he had lousy sound until I found that the local tech had replaced two of the mikes ( originals damaged )on his multiplexer with some that he found at a local music distributor.....they had peaking mid range response for "on the lapel" voice pickup.....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-27-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tested 2 different USL ples and mics against the R2 and they came with in 1/4 db of the same results across the room curve.
The plex box is calibrated against the mics in question according to USL
THe only thing I do is set the SPL output to match what my cel SPL meter reads

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-28-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

My tests do not back up yours. HF response using the USL plexer is totally dependant on the mic. There is no offset for frequency response. Furthermore, your analyzer can load the plexer and cause even more frequency anomolies, particualarly in the LF region.

The USL system is a good tool and is better than a single mic but it is a far cry from a calibrated system such as the R2 where not only frequency response it calibrated but the levels across the 4 mics are normalized.

For what its worth, the model number on the mics are not the same for the R2 as for the USL....

Steve

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, I use a R2 unit for my eq's, it sounds like the speakers were not aimed correctly, I use a sound pressure meter, pink noise, walk the aud. to get a overall response by sound pressure...I then have one of our techs to aim and tilt the speakers as needed, to give you an example, I just got finish doing a 10-plex All THX, the speakers were aimed as thje drawings called for, there was a 7-db difference from the front row seating to the rear, this is in a 700 seat aud. Sony 8.1 system, we reaimed the speakers position, speaker tilt we now have a 3db difference from front row to rear seating & side to side, now this took all day to get but we got a pretty good result by going the extra trouble...it sounds like the speaker you listen to was not properly aimed, tilted, & position....I know alot of techs do not go to this much length to get the speaker, freq. response, & coverage as they should....remember the "audience is listening"....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-01-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don makes an excellent point. The set up of a system is so important before the EQ begins. Making sure the speakers are as close to the screen as possible and properly aimed is very important to the overall response. Then there is the room itself. Even a great speaker with excellent electronics will sound horrible if the auditorium is not made well (acoustically speaking).

I'm having a bit of trouble with a customer that contracts us to merely wire and tune their sound systems. While the R2 may say all is well, the actual performance varys all over the place. In some theatres he has 50% fiberglass on the walls, some 100% some have fiberglass above the ceiling tiles and some places none. The speakers are installed by the screen guy and are "safely" put nearly a foot behind the screen. He also uses a large varitey of speakers (both new and used based on availability) so consistancy is virtually impossible.

One key thing about good sound systems is to get the room right first! It is a key part to a good sound system that is just overlooked once the wall drapes go up and the ceiling tiles are plopped into place.

Then, install what you have as well as you can.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: