Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS trailers level (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS trailers level
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

Just a question: are the DTS trailers recorded on DTS disk normalized to the same film's level?
I mean: we noted that not all movies has the same sound level. We usually keep volume very loud, but sometimes we have to project movies at 5.5.
So, when a movie projected at 5.5 is in DTS, is the DTS trailer recorded on the same disk at reference level at 5.5?

Or should I have to play it at 7.0?

I'm not sure I was clear...

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-01-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your DTS output levels are properly set (from the DTS unit into your analog processor) then you should not have to adjust the audio playback level.

As for movies having different loudness...this may well be, but that should not affect your playback level. Some movies are created with loud-sounding soundtracks while others are designed to be quieter.

Certainly, you will find that some movies/trailers are simply too loud and I wouldn't blame you for lowering the volume a half-point to protect equipment or to satisfy patrons (and not just one patron, mind you).

But, in general, you should try to avoid having to changing your fader setting for each show (or for previews). If you find you are changing levels ALL THE TIME, then it is a sign that something has gone wrong.

Possibly:

1) your alignment is at fault
2) operator error - use of personal taste
3) other - can't think of what it could be but just in case...

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2002 04:47 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

I can assure that we try to have the best volume (the louder volume!) every time. Often the fader is set to 6.5/7, but sometimes the fader has to set to 5.5 for few movies to have the same SPL in the room. Sometimes, not every times. And this happens both in DD and DTS. Perhaps is the Italian mixers...

But when a movie has to be projected at 5.5, if I put before the movie a Dolby or THX trailer (played in DD) we usually set our automatism to play the trailers at 7.0, since the Dolby Digital sound informations are printed directly on the print and recorded for a reference level of 7.

What about for DTS instead? Will be all THX and DTS trailers recorded on the same disk normalized for the level of the movie?

Pls note, I'm not referring to the fact that a SCI-FI movie is generally louder than a comedy movie. Usually we set all movies to the same levels (6,5-7 with just little adjustments based on operator taste!). Just sometimes we have a movie that has to be projected at 5.5...

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When setting sound pressure levels in a theater, the cinema processor's volume control should be at '7' and then the SPL for screen channels set to 85dB and the surrounds for 82dB (most of the time, depending on the CP).

The overall loudness of a film - feature or trailer is dependant on the mix made by the film maker. DTS only copies what we are given. If a film or trailer is mixed loud, then it will playback loud.

Many times, for whatever reason, trailers are mixed louder than features. That is one of the reasons why we but the "trim" feature in the DTS-6AD cinema processor. On a digital playback only unit, such as a DTS-6D, there is no trim feature. So, when running shows with this unit, you'll have to find a setting on the CP master level pot that you can live with.

Karen at DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-ho...

Karen, I realize that I was not clear! With "DTS trailers" I mean DTS "Flying disk", "Sonic Landscapes" and all THX trailers. We don't have DTS movie trailers in Italy.
Are they recorded on the CD always at the same level or not?

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio,

Yes, the DTS trailers are transferred using the same master.

Karen at DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Karen but...

What does it mean?

Do you mean that the DTS trailers are tranferred using the same master of the film of the same master of the trailers? !!

Bye
Antonio

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-04-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS trailers (and, in fact, every trailer) should be regarded as a separate movie.

The soundtrack of a trailer - any trailer - is mixed separately from any other movie, or any other trailer.

The DTS "Flying Disc" trailer is quite loud because it is a demonstration of the digital system, which (unfortunately) most consumers equate with loudness.

However, in a properly aligned theatre, you should not notice a great disparity in SPL between the digital track and the analog track (of the same movie or trailer).

With the digital track playing, the soundfield will seem more alive. The sound will be clearer, the room will seem more spacious, and the placement of sound effects (the flying disc) around the room will be more precise. It will sound better, but it shouldn't seem louder. Well...actually, it might, but you shouldn't need to adjust your fader setting for that trailer.

In short, if you are noticing major volume shifts as you switch from digital to analog (especially with the DTS trailer) then you should have the levels on that system checked out.

Some thoughts to ponder:

1) I don't know if you have this one, but try using the DTS "Sonic Landscape" Logo Trailer if you want a nice, quiet trailer for more "intimate" movies.

2) If your system is indeed properly aligned and you are perceiving extreme loudness, then you might actually be responding to distortion. What loudspeakers are you using? What condition are they in?

------------------

~Manny.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 05:26 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Your suggestions are right and useful but I'm not having problems with DTS levels or loudness!!!
Analog/Digital levels are right, DTS/Dolby Digital levels are rights and macht the analog ones, we NEVER set a lower volume for the DTS/THX trailers, we know that tey are loud for a choise. I don't like very much the "sonic landscapes" because is not very loud...

What I say is that, *sometimes*, we have a movie that has to be showed at 5, or 5.5. JUST SOMETIMES: usually we project our movie at 7.0 (or 6.5, depending of the audience, of the type of movie, of operator's ears!).

Surely they are bad-recorded movie (perhaps the italian mixers are not so good like USA's ones!).
In that case both Movie AND THX/DTS trailers are shown at 5.5/5.0. I wonder if in that case (when a movie is recorded too loud) also DTS/THX trailers are recorded at the same level or not.
With Dolby Digital sound level is on the print so in that case, to have the DOlby Trailers sounds well, I should project the Dolby Trailers at 7.0 and then set the feature at 5.0/5.5

Is it the same with DTS/THX trailers?

Bye
Antonio

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-05-2002 08:20 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
No matter what format your trailers are (analog, DTS, SDDS, Dolby Digital, or tomorrow's new format between the sprockets opposite the sound), trailers are completely independant of the feature.
If you have to lower the volume for your feature because the feature is too loud, then you do not have to lower the volume for the trailers.
Now, if the trailers are too loud (a common problem because they are designed to be too loud), you might want to lower the volume for them. But that's completely unrelated.

This assumes your theatre is correctly aligned. If your alignment is wrong, one format might sound louder than another. But still, if you're running trailers and the feature in the same digital format, even in a poorly-aligned theatre, if you have to turn it down for the feature, you should not turn it down for the trailers -- unless you think the trailers are too loud. That would be a subjective determination you should make independantly for each piece of film you run, be it a trailer, feature, or short.

--jhawk

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if the trailers are too loud (a common problem because they are designed to be too loud), you might want to lower the volume for them. But that's completely unrelated.
---

And absolutely it is not my problem!!

Many thanks!

Antonio

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-05-2002 03:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio:

Let me see if I understand your question...

Are you asking about the DTS and THX audio that comes on the disc for the movie?

Are you wondering if those are remixed to match the level of the feature on the same disc?

The answer is...no...I don't think they are remastered specifically for the movie. I think that DTS just puts the exact same version of each of those tracks on every disc.

Karen could verify this.

HTH,
Manny.

And now, our next episode of "Alphabet Soup" for those who are learning the codes...

HTH = "Hope this helps."

------------------

~Manny.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2002 02:21 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Yes, you understood correctly. I'm sorry, sometimes I realize that I'm not so clear...
Thanks!!

Bye
A

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

Yes, the same DTS trailer master mix is used each and every time. There is one for the "flying disc" and another one for the "piano".

Karen at DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 08:22 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Karen.

Is it the same for the DTS encoded THX trailers?

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: