Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century 3 blade shutter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Century 3 blade shutter
Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 11:57 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there is a 3 blade shutter available for a Century Projector? If so where do I find one or better yet, two.

Thanks
Randy

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three bladed shutter are a factory option, so I'd assume they are available as spare parts from Strong. I installed four with factory fitted three blade shutters three years ago in an art house venue. Just be aware that they do eat a wee bit of light, but it really isn't a lot. I feel the reduction in pan flicker is well worthile, you just have to compensate for the small reduction in light output.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked through the current Strong Price lists and I did not see anywhere an option to buy a Century with a three-blade shutter. Only with the double shutter. I also looked through all of the Century manuals that I have, none of them list a three bladed shutter for a Century. I did find one for a Simplex (P-2885). I've never seen a three bladed shutter on a Century, although I've never done any work with Telecines or other "special" setups so I'm not exactly an authority.
Pete, do you know an option number for a three-bladed shutter?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I don't have any part numbers on this. I don't persoanlly deal with ordering equipment from suppliers, I'm strictly a nuts and bolts man, I leave pushing paper to the paper pushers! All I can tell you is that these 4 mechs had 3 blade shutters, definitely a factory fir, as I took them from their packing crates on site. They also have three lens turrets and 3 phase motors fitted too.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a chief projectionist at the Carlton Theatre Haymarket in the West End of London, the Westar (Century) projectors had double shutters with water cooled gates. I wonder if Century still have that system as an option ?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-04-2002 04:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 blade shutter is available as a part........call the factory if your dealer is unable to help.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was doing service work I installed a 3-blade shutter for a screening room in Houston, Texas, it was pone blade with three 1" openings, we had to do this due to a small room (use to screen dailys from Hollywood on a movie being made in Houston) too much light (1600 watt) bulb, was causing a filcker....this solve the problem, this was a special blade made by MTS in the USA...they install screening rooms equiptment & such.....hope this help...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of 3 blade shutters that will fit either Century C or SA, they will also go onto an E-7, or Super. If U get in a bind and can't find any let me know. I'll trade you this pair for a CP-200!

Hey Don,
Was that pair of Centurys at a video/Post house run by a guy by the name of Bill Moore? If so I built those for them a number of years ago. These had the mag stuff built into the R-3. and three Kelmar arms on the bottom and so on.....There are 4 more pairs of them around the country still in steady use. A DP in Flordia owns 2 pair, I have one pair, and Steve K has a pair in Chicago. These setups have totaled close to 300 feature film jobs so far.
BTW: The name of my company was Midwest Theatre Supply out of Elgin, IL.
Mark @ GTS
mark@getgts.com

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies guys. I am the full time projector rebuilder here at American Cinema Equipment, we are a dealer so I will call Strong and See if they might happen to have what I need. Maybe Wolk.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard,
Westar used a double shutter shutter shaft design, if I remember right they were opposed rotation too. AFAIK this has never been a Century option. Water cooled film trap was and is though. Remember that whilst the Westrex machine started as a near copy of the Century, it developed throughout it's 50 odd year production. There are quite a few way that the Westrex differed. Most obvious is the adjustable sprocket plate design, which Centurys never had, and still don't. The curent Simplex has something similar. Most Century parts will fit Westrex, but some will require minor machining work to get them to fit correctly. The vertical shaft sliding gear springs to mind.

I must ask around and see if those mechs are still around, the double shutter Westar was a pretty rare beast. I have a pair on service up here, well one is used as a spare, but they've been converted to single shutter now. The shutter gear on the vertical shaft still carries two sets of teeth though.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 05:26 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I can not remember the gentleman's name I talked too, it was about 5-6 years ago,I was contacted by Southwestern Theatre supply in Houston to go service these machines at a place called POV...they had just installed two machines, especially made by MTS, the install was just a couple of weeks to a month earlier...they had two Century SA, with three reels below the soundhead, one for the sound (I think it was 35mm mag)sound track, one reel for the take-up & one reel for the movie print take-up, with super Lumex lamps...the problem was three, one was the JBL speakers was too much for the small room room, I sugguest replacing with a high quality home stereo type speakers, which they did, It worked out great....the second problem was too much light, I change from a 2K to a 1,600 watt, that was better, but the light had too much flicker due to the size of the room, I contacted MTS about this was told to install three single blade shutters to get a 1 to 1.5" opening, I did, I got a 1" opening, this solve the flicker,I was told by MTS that this 3-single blades will cause the machine to vibrate (it did) but the flicker was gone... MTS told me they would make a special 3-blade shutter & will ship overnight, they did, I inswtalled, & it worked perfect...no more complaints...The name "MARK" rings a bell...maybe it was you....I was a self employed cinema sound contractor at that time living (& still do near Houston) was called to service these machines due to the location of MTS & time was important, all this took place within three days....I even met a few movie stars there !!!...any of this sound like you are the one I dealt with ??? If so, we do live in a small world !!!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-05-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alright you experts, can 3 bladed shutters be made for a brenkert? I noticed severe pan blur, plus I have light to burn. But would this cause excess wear of the shutter drive and lead to early failure? I do have an E-7 which if it didnt leak oil so bad, I would consider putting it into service with a 3 bladed shutter, plus they run quieter too

Josh

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-05-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century also had the double shutter option....all away back to the C model ( CC ).
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,
Yea, that was me, and I'm pretty sure that I do remember talking to you about it. Is POV still there? I remember the first dailies they screened there was that Shirley McClane comeback film...I think it was called Evening Star or something to that effect. There was also a huge factory right behind them that welds tank cars(railroad type) and that was also putting nasty spikes onto the power lines. I could actually see it if I put my scope on the AC. Originally they had bought High Reactance rectifiers and you should have seen the flicker with those! It was awful. Switching to switchers got rid of most of it at the time. If they're still there at least I know they're in good hands.
Mark @ GTS

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 11:29 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Richard!

My knowledge of the earlier Century machines is not as good as my knowledge of the Westrex mech. Stand to reason really, as most of the Centuries here are less than 20 years old, whereas some of the Westrex are pushing 50 years old!

Josh, I don't know anything aboout Brenkerts, but the Century 3 blade shutter is not really any different in weight to the twin blade, and the Century mech is not the heaviest design in the world, and doesn't seem to suffer any ills from having the 3 blade whirling bit on, as to getting one for your Brenkert, I guess you'd probably need to have one made or make it yourself, the Century one uses the same central boss as the 2 blade, and the blade itself is stamped out of thin metal, so I'm pretty sure that someone as capable as yourself wouldn't have too much trouble concocting something, surely?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: