Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with a part for CFS ESP-3 Platter

Author Topic: Help with a part for CFS ESP-3 Platter
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 04:10 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I am trying to do is identify and source a part from the CFS ESP-3 platter system's PAY-OUT MODULE. The part in question is used to sense film motion through the module. It 'looks' like two 3mm L.E.D.'s mounted in a plastic block. I say looks, because one of these LED looking creatures is marked as a LED and the other is marked as some sort of transistor/switch type component. The plastic block these parts are mounted in is marked as:-

HOA149-1
Mexico

Any help would be appreciated! ... and, yes I have already searched the net

|  IP: Logged

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 05:28 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Matt

We've got some in stock if you can't find them elsewhere. I'm just thinking that if you can find somebody closer geographically it would help you with carriage prices.

Sandie Caffelle
Jack Roe (CS) Ltd
UK

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 07:38 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try talking to ASSOCIATED SOUND NEWCASTLE P/L. Their phone number is 02 4929 1932. Fax number is 02 4926 1919.

They have some experience with the ESP-3 platters in Australia and may carry some spare parts.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 07:46 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your advice guys ..... what I am hoping to do though, is firstly source an 'electronics supplier' who stocks this part......and failing that, actually identify exactly 'what' the individual parts are in this assembly so I may source replacements separately instead of buying a whole assembly.

Sandie, these spares you stock .... is it just the HOA149-1 unit 'without' the leads, plug and mounting cylinder? ... or is it the whole shebang?

Also, do you know what the parts are? I'm guessing the dark one is an IR LED???? ... but the other one has me stumped thus far

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 08:05 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

The stock we have at the moment is the "whole shebang".

We may be able to get the component parts for you if necessary.

Give us a call if you need to discuss

+44 1989 567 474

or email: sales@jack-roe.co.uk

Sandie

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like an "opto-coupled interrupter" which is an infrared led one one side and an NPN phototransistor on the other side (only uses collector and emitter). The circuit board should say A & C (for the led side) and C & E (for the phototransistor side). Boy that part number sure sounds familiar. I think it is also used to sense the drop targets on Williams pinball machines. Check with your local vending machine/amusement coin-op video/pinball machine suppliers.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 11:07 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if it is the type I'm thinking of, look in the lower right corner of old Pacer ticket printers. They were used to sense the registration hole in the ticket stock.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-07-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Williams used infrared LEDs and photo transistors to replace mechanical switches in ball troughs in all pinball games manufactured from Indiana Jones in 1993, right up to the last game they made in 1999 before leaving the business. These opto switches were also used off and on for things like ramp entry switches. The LED output is infra-red, so it's not visible to the naked eye. Radio Shack and other electronics sources have special cards available which you hold in front of the LED and they allow you "see" the light. Radio Shack sells infrared LEDs that seem to work in this application, but I could never get their photo transistors to work in the Williams circuit design.

Here's a photo of the Wms parts:

The IR LED is on the left, photodetector is on the right (disregard the PC boards they are mounted on). The parts are about 4mm across and 9mm high.

If these look like they might be right, the Williams part number for the LED is 138019-001, "LED,IR,RED,940NM,TO-18 - HOOP". The photo transistor receiver is 138026-001, "PHOTO DETECTOR,DARLINGTON OUTP". Any amusement games distributor who handles Williams stuff should have these in stock. Another source is Pinball Resource, pbresource@idsi.net . Sorry I don't know what the generic part numbers are.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now it all makes sense ... I pulled the HOA149 apart , and I see that the photo-transistor and the IR LED are angled in thus aiming them at the same spot.... so, I guess the IR reflects off the film ... thus creating a pulsing effect as the sprocket holes move past .... This is how is works? Yes?

So , really any photo-transistor 'should' do the job ...... but, Dave .. you said you had no luck with the Radio-Shack variety?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-07-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, unfortunately the circuit is designed for a specific type of phototransistor. Radio Shack only sold 1 type that I could find (at least in the retail stores), and it didn't work in the Williams application.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-08-2002 07:58 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where else in this world would a question about platters turn into a pinball history lesson?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-08-2002 08:42 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: