Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No green band?

Author Topic: No green band?
Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever come across a trailer delivered to you without a greenband, or any band at all?
I received a 'E.T. anniversary' trailer with Time Machine yesturday. It was tails out so I rewound it to insert into the trailer package. (I make up tails out and rewind to place on platter) When I got to the head it had no band, totally freaked me out. Inspected the sound and cut ahead of it and attached an unused greenband from Jimmy Nuetron, with sound information cut.
I just find this kinda wierd, first time seeing it and wondered about any other experiences with this.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-09-2002 12:44 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheater! How do we *know* "this special preview has been approved for all audiences?" Maybe what you had there was the special red band restricted E.T. trailer!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2002 01:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the trailer wasn't rated. For art-house films (many of which are, themselves, unrated), the trailers rarely have green- or red ratings bands.

Oddly, I remember a couple of situations where the trailer for a particular film had a ratings band but the feature itself was unrated, but I can't think of any titles just now.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone at Technicolor cut off the green band before throwing that trailer in the can.

The trailer for the re-release of E.T. has a green band with the PG rating and explanation for same.

Scott: L.I.E. was rated NC-17 but its trailer did not have a red band or green band. Trailers for arthouse films from an MPAA signatory will always carry a green band or red band.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-09-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In re L.I.E., the trailer/teaser was extremely tastefully done, telling you almost nothing about the movie, and certainly nothing inappropriate for a G audience...

--jhawk

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 10:33 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Star Wars Ep 2 trailer that premiered on Fox last night (between Malcolm In The Middle and X-Files) had the green band. Kind of strange to see that on TV. The trailer was run in uncropped scope ratio too.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 01:14 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer was sealed and had a original heads and tails, no cuts. Upon teching the film, e.t. was the same trailer except it was almost a remix , all the same elements just in a slightly different order.

Anyone else out there that built up time machine and had this situation with the e.t. trailer?

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 01:16 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MGM sometimes has a 30 minute spot on a local channel and runs trailers with no host. Its just trailer after trailer and a list of coming soon from the distributor. All with green band and in aspect ratio, usually flat version of trailer.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-16-2002 08:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the earlier post on this subject, weren't the majority of folks in favor of NOT running green bands on trailers? Josh, you actually went through the trouble of finding a used one and putting it back on a trailer that didn't have one to begin with?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Although most of us personally do not like the green band, it is a company policy (at least in my case) that we have to run them. With Regal, it used to be policy NOT to run them, which I loved. But I've gotten used to them. They just have to be done properly. I can't stand it when people cut the trailers at the first frame of green. They need to follow the tips on this site for cutting trailers properly.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 02:08 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like the green bands. I mean on showtimw I was forced to put insomnia and death to smoochy back to back. How crazy does it feel to hear robin williams say 'you can sleep when your dead' and then jumparound and run into walls. Come to think of it, might be funny. Anyway, I like to be able to say trailers and not commercials which is what it feels like with no greenband.

And I put that whole two seconds on baby, yah.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: