Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie\Century\Simplex hybrid

Author Topic: Christie\Century\Simplex hybrid
Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I was looking through an old box office magazine and came accross an ad for a "Revolutionary new Projector". At first it looked just like a Christie P35GP. It wasn't until I looked closer that I noticed that it had a Century intermittent and Century or Simplex gate and trap stuffed into a Christie chassis. Has anyone else seen this Ad? Better yet: Has anyone seen one of these up close and personal? Are they reliable?
-Tristan

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the MagnaTech projectors and International Cinema in Florida sells them. Go to www.iceco.com for more details.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-09-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MTE/ICECO projector has a Century gear train with the motor mounted differently than a Century soundhead. It is a one piece unit and looks very Christie like with one motor belt and some drive chains ( like a Kinoton ) to run the soundhead sprocket and takeup. There a few running in Miami and they are built in the MTE machine shop which occupies a portion of the ICECO building.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-10-2002 02:52 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have seen this projector,.

I was there at ICECO in Miami when they were testing a prototype. I think they named that the BL-2000. I thought it was beautiful to look at.

As far as its reliability, It ran a loop of film all day, everyday for the entire two weeks I was there. The intermittent and the drive gear assemblies are Century equivalents. Based on what I already know about this projector and its designer I would certainly welcome the BL-2000 into my booth. But that's a personal opinion (just what you asked for, I believe).

There are probably multiple configurations to suit your particular application. The most likely accessories will include gates, turrets, changeover and reverse-scan LED analog sound scanner (all by Kelmar). I'd recommend any of those since I'm using the same Kelmar gates, turrets, changeovers and reverse-scan LED analog sound scanners in my existing Century projectors and I'm happy with all of them. I also use the Kelmar PTR's.

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard good reports on it and I believe they have built over a hunderd units

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that all Christies are built with nine lives? Start out life as a total failure, attend the Steve Krams College of "This is how it shoulda Been built in the first place" Get striped to the bare mainframe, rebuilt the right way, and then end up as a real projector running again in some theatre able to lead a new and productive life. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Mark @ GTS

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-12-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the same Magna-Tech that makes 16mm and 35mm mag dubbers?

I'm surprised that any Simplex/Century hybrid machine would use the Century drive gear assembly. It seems like the oil bath and gear assembly are the real strengths of the Simplex design and the soundhead design and ease of threading/cleaning/maintenance are the real strength of the Century design. Personally, I prefer the Century gate/trap design as well (though I have not worked with the turret models of either machine, where the gate/trap designs are presumably different).

I would be interested in seeing one of these....

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-13-2002 03:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve bought Magna-Tech many years ago and moved the whole shop to Miami where it resides on the east side of his main building with a separate staff from ICECO. The projector was designed by the ICECO staff and Magna-tech builds it. The parts are a mixture of Lavezzi, Monee,Kelmar, Walter Voight and Magna-Tech. Not many people are buying dubbers these days. ICECO is 10 minutes south from our company.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-13-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott:

There is a photo of the BL-2000 on the ICECO website. Here's the link:

http://www.iceco.com/35mm.htm

...and then scroll down a little bit.

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: