Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Irem G-X50C Schematic Needed

Author Topic: Irem G-X50C Schematic Needed
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2002 11:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a G-X50 that will not light a lamp, only getting a flash. I'm not getting enough no load DC to make it happen, although the start circuit checks out fine. This is a 115 VAC 900 watt rectifier that is solid core, not the variable core type that most are accustomed to. I suspect I made a wiring error during re-assembly as it was shipped to me taken apart. Thanks!
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-10-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
you are playing with the economy IREM stuff which works better as a "toaster" if you exceed the rating ( not much headroom )....IREM actually recommend that series be avoided for cinema use ( verbally of course since manufacturers they sell to will cut corners ).
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre and Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2002 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,
I'm using this in my home screening room. Only running a 700 watt lamp in a Super Lum-Ex off of it...or at least trying to. I doubt it'll toast itself for the occasional use it'll get. One thing I'm not sure of is if its a 220 volt AC unit ,or 115 volt as the tag says. It behaving like its not getting enough primary AC yet the tag on the darn thing says its 115 volt. Needless to say it will be toast if I don't be sure on that spec! I e-mailed Irem to find out exactly whats up with the primary on this one.
I donno, I've never had one of these models either but its sure built like a tank and has alot of filtering on the output for such a small rectifier.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was one version of this that used a fuse as a selector check it
They are crap and typically the inrush was far too high to get decent bulb life

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-10-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I am in my office and I don't have a manual for this unit since I have avoided this unit for some time....some IREMS are dual voltage via metal links which switch between hi and low end of the transformer and I have had situations where a 208-230 model as marked on the plate had links set up for 380VAC with phone calls from head scratching techs in the field. Ricardo Croce is the man to contact at IREM.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, thanks for looking. I did find a basic schematic for it on the Irem web site so this may help. There is only a high and a low tap on the primary of the xformer, plus about 6 other taps at 5% increments....according to the Irem info. Will await to hear back fomr Irem to see what they say.
MArk @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: