Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS not switching to non-sync

Author Topic: DTS not switching to non-sync
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 08:08 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of features that I play in DTS I often find that at the endof the feature my sound changes back to non-sync but then immediately swithces to DTS as it runs out and boy is it noisy if I don't get there in time to manually switch to non-sync.

Any ideas?

Carl

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 08:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iassume this is one of the older white two drawer units
There is a little breakout board with an optoisolator on it to take care of that problem

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put a second shutdown cue on your prints about a foot from the end of the tail. This should cue it back to non-sync with no problems.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. What's happening is, your system is seeing more DTS timecode after the pulse to nonsync goes by, therefore it switches automatically back into DTS, then goes to SR when the timecode stops.

What I do is splice a 15' piece of plain black leader (any junk film not containing timecode will do) to the end of the print. (Cut off the tail leader first, obviously.) The shutdown cue is placed at the head of the junk film. This protects the end of the print from dropping on the floor as it runs out, and the switching problem is solved too.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-11-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is are you leaving the last reel tail on? This is a common practice but a very bad idea. If your sound system is in analog it will rip your drivers apart. It also looks like crap on the screen if you dont get the dowser shut in time. Makes it look and sound very amaturish to the patrons.

Great idea on the black leader at the end.

Dave

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

Do you have a 2-drive unit or a 3-drive unit?

If you have a 2-drive DTS player, you may have an old DTS logic breakout board to the CP. What kind of CP do you have?

If you have a 3-drive DTS player, then check the DTS system by using a DTS Setup disc. Use the disc to be sure correct fallback pluses are being sent to the CP by the DTS player. If they are, then the DTS system is acting correctly. In that case, the automation is switching the CP back to analog.

If you are going to add any sound format cues, do it on back leader or film without timecode. Never ever add it to film that has timecode.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com
DTS web site www.dtsonline.com
Visit our free on-line cinema techcenter

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 08:45 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At ours, the automation has a time delay feature which can be programmed up to 24 seconds after the cue is sensed. Eight seconds after the cue is sensed, the automation sends a pulse to switch the CP65 from Proj. 2 to Proj. 1 which mutes the sound, since Proj. 1 here is never used. This occurs at the same time the change over closes. When the DTS loses it's timecode the CP65 defults to SR. And a few seconds later which at that time the tail has finished running through the CP65 will switch to Non-Sync.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why reinvent the wheel DTS provides a breakout board for the older units with the opto coupled unit to correct this situation so use it

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 12:00 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another inexpensive option I have used, with Cinemeccanica's is to break the "no time code - default to optical" line via a microswitch on the change-over device (dry contact).

If the change-over is closed, the system cannot default to optical.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 09:57 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen. It's a 2 drive unit. The CP is the dreaded UltraStereo. The black leader with sounds like a good
idea but then again Gordon may be right about reinventing wheels.
Can you supply me with a part number for the breakout board?

Thanks, Carl

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2002 11:45 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

Please send me an email with your shipping address and I'll send you a free logic beakout board.

Please be sure to remind me who you are - I get A LOT of email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: