Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help needed: 2x and 1/2x Anamorphics

Author Topic: Help needed: 2x and 1/2x Anamorphics
Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 09:25 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that a normal 2x anamorphic adapter can be made to work as a 1/2x by simply reversing it. I've seen an example of an old B&L type 1 adapter, the BIG ones, mounted in reverse for drive-in use.

When I try reversing my scope adapter I can't get it to focus. Throw is 23 feet and the screen is 10 feet wide for this test. The lenses I've been using are an ISCO Ultra MC 100mm prime and an ISCO Ultra Star HD 2x anamorphic attachment. This combination works great in the normal 2x mode.

The reason for all this is I work with a non-profit group that runs a sci-fi convention here in NY. www.iconsf.org One of the studios has offered to let us run several 35mm prints at no charge. This years film budget is shot so I have to do this with equipment I already have at little or no cost. The auditorium we have access to has a screen 16 feet wide at a throw of 68 feet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2002 09:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ultra-Star HD anamorphic (5-element) is not designed to work in reverse. Furthermore, there is no good way to couple the lens from the front. Also most reverse anamorphics are used on longer throws, hence the need for the reverse anamorphic. The reverse mode is never as good as the forward mode. The image on a reverse tends to geometrically out of whack.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my memory is correct from the old kolmorgen stuff the focus scale is reversed

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-12-2002 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you reverse a Panatar?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can reverse the space shuttle too but it'll crash! Why on earth would anyone want to reverse a Panatar???

In using the long throw Isco reverse anamorphs I did notice a lot better definition than if a 2x were used. There was some distortion but it was not too bad.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: