Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need help with my ultra stereo processor? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: need help with my ultra stereo processor?
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am using an ultra stereo js 105-195 processor,
i have lost some level (down to apprx.60%)on the centre channel and the dialouge seems spread over left and right, all else seems fine, i am getting some dialouge in my surrounds, but i'm not sure if it's related.
although, my monitor says that the centre is pumping out at normal level, i checked the amps and speakers and all seem fine.
my local tech suggested i swap the matrix card with the spare, but no change!
if anyone has any thoughts on what the problem might be , i would appreciate any posts.
p.s i hope this all makes sense, it's gone midnight.

|  IP: Logged

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

Just spoke with Jonathan here and he suggests you get the
power supply changed......

Good Luck!!

Sandie

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 10:46 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks sandie and johnathan,
i am lucky enough to have a complete processor as a spare so i'll give it a go in the morning!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 10:49 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to check the exciter lamp (if fitted) for blackening or if you got one of the General Electric brand lamps where they soldered the prefocus ring onto the base cock-eyed. Be sure to do a Dolby tone level set, also.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks ken,
exiter lamp is fine and just 3 months old and my test tone loop is still on order, a and b chain were done three months ago, for us thats not that long ago, thats why i cant wait for this loop!
p.s THANK GOD FOR FILM-TECH !!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2002 11:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your leval has dropped on the center channel but you are getting the correct sound preasure on your EQ cards?

Try swapping format cards. I have had a problem before with the center channel dropping out or totaly dropping out due to a problem with the bypass switch. I could wiggle that switch and the center channel would return.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2002 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl is on to a possibility. I have had the same thing happen on several Ultra-Stereos, one turned out to be a defective format card, and the others had a bad EQ cards. Since you have a spare processor, use the process of elimination.

Let us know what the trouble was when you fix it.

Also, "re-seat" the cards.....

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the probabl age of the unit check the small relay that is on the bottom of each eq card. That isolates the output during powerup to prevent thumps.
These did have problems

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 05:11 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Darryl & Paul is correct, check the format card first, I had this problem several times over the years...it was 9 out of 10 the bypass button on the format card, the 1 out of 10 was the EQ card, wiggle and press the bypass button several times to clean the switch...this should be your problem.....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I always check the relays forst on the EQ cards. Also turn the level pot up and down a bit(remnembering exactly where it was) as I ahev had a number of level pots fail. Apparently a bad batch of them or something. I just had one of these last week! Swap the cards and see if the problem follows the card. If not also check the large double card in the center...the automation card. These were excessively trouble prone a number of years back and all chennels are routed through the switching on this card. And last of all, yes, the matrix could be bad. If you have good dolby level(actually Ultra LEvel in this case and the preamp response looks good then the problem is probably somewhere else down the line.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-14-2002 05:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On rereading the original post you mention dialogue leaking in the surrounds
Check that the dip switches on the back of the main board are correct for your configuration
If they are right it is probably in the soundhead

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks everyone,
i'm just off to work, thanks to the film -tech gods i now have a better idea of the problem, i will post again later with results.
thanks
brad

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to Gordon's post about the relays: Yes....they can be a little troublesome. Those were most of the failures I have experienced on the older model EQ cards.

Incidently, if you are using 1/4-inch phono plugs from the output of the processor to the input to the power amplifiers, you might want to take a peek at those. If those pulgs are not "exercized" about once every 6 months or so, they could build up a film of oxidation that will prevent a good connection.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-14-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pssst...."phono" plugs are also known as (aka) "RCA" plugs...1/4" plugs are also know as "PHONE" (as in telePHONE) plugs...A minor detail, to be sure.

1/4" plugs should have stayed with the telephone switch boards too...the action of plugging and unplugging them kept the contacts clean....I absolutely HATE them for permanent installations.

Likwise, use "phono" plugs on your phonograph.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2002 11:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pbpthbpthbthp!

Yes, Steve.....I agree about leaving those damn things in the telephone switchboards....They are nothing short of a pain in the rear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: