Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Can "Art"

Author Topic: Film Can "Art"
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-31-2002 02:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else collect examples of vintage signs and stickers applied inside film shipping cans such as those that say to save copper drippings for charity or advertise IA candidates? I came across this one a while back but it's pretty mangled so I've cleaned it up / reproduced it digitally but I'm not enough of an artist to recreate what I can't make out in the caricatures.

Naturally I was curious about the parties mentioned and a little web searching found that Mr. D'Inzillo ran for president of the IA in 1972 and 1974, narrowly losing in both cases. He died in 2000.
D'Inzillo Obit

Mr. Walsh was president from 1941 to 1974 and passed away in 1992.
Walsh Obit

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 05:48 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After decades of "life under D'Inzillo," the NY Local 306 projectionists never got work conditions better than janitors, Mostly they faced give-backs after give-backs and NLRB invistigations for corruption and illegal practices. The union was brought to a state of nearly total impotency. Today, projectionists would be better off going to management and negotiating their own contracts....this of course is MHO. But I do think I have a unique perspective looking at the union from outside, although I am sure there are many union members who could give a lot more details about the sorry state of Local 306 today.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 10:23 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<After decades of "life under D'Inzillo," the NY Local 306 projectionists never got work conditions better than janitors,>

Frank, I think you're being unduly harsh here, to the point of inaccuracy. 10 holidays at 1.5 time per year, four vacation weeks, sick time, overtime pay, medical, dental and optical plans, grievance
machinery, pensions,etc. were real gains that few janitors can equal.

<Mostly they faced give-backs after give-backs and NLRB investigations for corruption and illegal practices.>

Yes, the give-backs of the late 1980's and '90'swere painful, and the
law suits and investigations were probably justified. How much the
Local was weakened I cannot estimate, since I've been retired for about five years. But if you compare the wages paid Local 306 projectionists to any others revealed by non-union Film-tech posters,
there is no comparison, even today.

In my mind, Steve D'Inzillo's tragic flaw was hubris. He never trusted the membership to exercise the democratic rights embodied in
the IATSE and Local's constitutions. He never recognized any "loyal opposition", unlike the leaders of my other union, the United Federation of Teachers. Thus anyone running against him, or suggesting any reform, was regarded as a "Nixonian enemy." Steve
long outlived his productive years of service to the union, but refused to relinquish authority, even when faced with ill health, deafness and near-blindness. He resisted others developing
leadership skills, unless it was someone he personally chose, who would carry out his policies unquestioned.
Given his great accomplishments of service to his membership and union causes in his youth and middle age, I regard Steve D'Inzillo as
a tragic figure in his last decades.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard,

You are probably right, no one is ALL bad. And I am sure D'Inzillo did some good things for the union. But I don't think I am being innacurate. If you look at the health plan, the vacations, the sick days in 1980 when I was approached and what they are now, all have been drastically reduced -- I understand that they even cut healt benefits for members families in the last round of contract negotiations.

I didn't want to go into all of the negatives that I have seen happen under Boss D'Inzillo's tenure on this forum because it's not the place nor the topic, but you hit a bunch of nails on the head and I'll be happy to leave it at that, other than to say that the reason I steadfastly refused to join Local 306 was precisely because of the way D'Inzillo approached me, basically saying I would be out on my ass if I didn't "play ball." Well, that kind of bullying and arm twisting might work on some, but all it did with me was to make me dig in; in the end, we out-lasted 306's punny picket lines, we out-lasted D'Inzillo's threats to the city council try to get our funding withheld. We even outlasted his abusive, boorish threatening telephone calls. And the funny thing is, I would have been happy to join 306 if it weren't for that enormous hubris of the man. As it turns out, even at the time he was threating me, telling me if I knew what was good for me I would become a memeber, I was making more than the union could ever offer, I had 5 weeks paid vacation and a health package that the union couldn't begin to match. As time went on, my union here at the performing arts center kept negotiating better contracts for us while Local 306 kept loosing benefits, members and pay scales. I am glad I stuck to my guns; Our Local 2334 out-performed Local 306 at every turn and I certainly am MUCH better off now than any NY union projectionist.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I'm glad you found a better local. Is Local 2334 IATSE or NABET?
From the limited history of IATSE I've read, D'Inzillo, born more than
90 years ago, grew up in an era of gangster and communist attempts to
infiltrate and take over unions and fought against them, as well as against oppressive managements. Unfortunately some of the goon squad
tactics must have stuck to him. One gentle soul who approached him with a complaint told me he laid his handgun on his desk before asking
what was the grievance?

The link in the post atop this column gives an official IATSE eulogy
of the man, and avoids speaking ill of the departed. Yet his paranoia and failing mental and emotional health were visible for many
years, and unfortunately suffered by the members, to the detriment
of all.

Gerard

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-02-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local 2334 -- Professional Staff Congress is neither -- it is AFL-CIO affiliated and is the union that represents all teaching lines at CUNY (Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts is part of CUNY's Brooklyn campus) as well as all technical positions in the theatres. Ironically, as we speak, Local 1 is now negotiating with CUNY to take over the stage-hands. Local 306 tried this with the projectionists but, as mentioned, didn't get their way. It really is now a matter of jurisdiction. My booth will remain under my union until I retire. What they do after that is anyone's guess.

As far as that fellow who said D'Inzillo laid his hand gun down on the desk, I certainly can believe that since the way Steve lost his sight was that at a union meeting, a disgruntled member shot him in the face, or so the story goes.

Anyway, enough of this.....it's off topic and probably a post or two more away from getting locked. Sorry, Brad.

But to get it back on topic again, I kept a really neat can insert that Disney sent out with one of their umpteen re-releases of FANTASIA explaining how even though it was a Stereo (optical) track, it was IMPERATIVE that at no time it be played in mono, which would cause severe flanging since the original mix was something like 7 or 9(depending what account you read) optical tracks that were not in absolute phase with each other. They were not off enought to tell if you were playing each separately, but mix them together and it sounds like everything is swooshing in and out of phase. The note also explained how the picture HAD to be projected 1.37 and not 1.85.

It had nice little graphics of Micky and the hippos around the text.

Steve K., if you tell me how to post a scanned picture of the insert to one of these posts, I will put it up here.

I also had a note from Warner's in the can of the HAIR print that pointed out that the dirctor Milos Forman INTENDED for the music to be much louder than the dialogue and you were to set the sound level for the dialogue and then let the music play at whatever level it was recorded at. Of course, if you did that anyone over 40 would be out in the lobby complaining and whining so we tried to strike a happy medium. I am sure there must be lots of these "instruction" type notes found in cans. The other one I remember was a note for THE CHAMBER which said that eventhough the SDDS track was present, you were only allowed to play it in SR-D and DTS (actually, I am not sure of the DTS). I remember thinking, yah, and if I had payed $9,000 for an SDDS system and only had that hardware, I am SURE that slip of paper would have gotten lost.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

In one of my "Mostly Martha" cans there were two interesting union election stamps. One was pasted in the top of the can and read "HERMAN STOLLER for SGT. AT ARMS LOCAL 306." The other was rubber stamp imprint reading "ARTIE SILVERMAN BUISNESS AGENT." I thought they were kind of interesting. Sadly, the cans went back before I could get any pics.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-15-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doctored one of TES's reels with an obscene jesture because that damn thing flew apart on me. I got in hot water for it. Seems one of the ladies at the film depot could not handle a joke.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 12:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Deny! Deny! Deny!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-16-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the trouble, Steve. I am just too damned honest.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the subject was "film can art" ?

Best example I've seen is a guy in Oxford - bought a cheap clock, ripped the guts out and fitted this on th elid of a film tin. Used leader numbers (SMPTE of course - otherwise you'd go to bed at 8pm !) to indicate the hours - has tons of queries about buying these ..

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-16-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(SMPTE of course - otherwise you'd go to bed at 8pm !)

You mean Academy. SMPTE Universal leader starts counting at 8.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: