Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Correct way to connect wires to amp/speaker - Important

Author Topic: Correct way to connect wires to amp/speaker - Important
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 02:19 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

This message will be difficult for me because I need to use some tech words that I do not know... Pls reply if I'm not clear.

I need to rewire the connection between Amps and speaker because I found that the technician to fit the cables in the amp/speakers hole cut part of copper's wires. However I believe that he cut too much wires because I've broke many cable just touching them...

I was authorized to rewire everything, speakers and amps.
I would like to use little things that you put on the wire and squeeze with a clamp to have an hard head of the wire. I don't know if I was clear...

I would like to avoid test to found out the correct dimension. What is the correct dimension of these little thing to fit them properly on speakers and amps?

Is there a better way?

Many thanks

Antonio

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-12-2002 03:24 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

Check out page 643 of the Mcmaster-Carr catalog for some examples and definitions of the things I think you're looking for.

The correct dimensions depend on your guage of wiring and your amps though.

--jhawk

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks john.

I didn't know that there are pin terminals like described.

Your link was very useful.

Bye
Antonio

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I've just check the table conversion between AWG and mm2.

I have up to 10mm2 (also 13) to subwoofer speakers. That in AWG is 6 or 7.

On the link that you gave me there are nothing for bigger than 8...

How do you connect subwoofer to amps???

Antonio

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-22-2002 01:05 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6AWG? Wow. I don't have any direct experience wiring amps with
anything that large. I think you'd need to use some kind of wire clamping device, like the sort of thing you'd find in electrical distribution (where you see 6AWG and thicker guages quite commonly).

Since we seem to be browsing at Mcmaster-Carr, I'd look at
page 715, such as the "high amperage terminal blocks."

But really, I suspect we could help you better with a better understanding of the problem you're trying to solve. Fundamentally, I don't think most amplifiers expect 6AWG wires and you're going to have a problem trying to stuff the wire in there. You could either cut down some of the wire, or you could use the heavy guage for the long run and then have a shorter run of a smaller guage that goes into the amplifier. But at that point, you're doing the same as cutting down the wire...

--jhawk

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 04:35 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

So what kind of cable do you use for Subwoofer speakers? If my conversion table is correct, 6AWG is 10mm2, can someone confirm me?

Antonio

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-22-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio:

Stage and Surround Loudspeakers get 12AWG here. Subwoofers get 10AWG wire.

This may not apply to your application, since distance (length of wire run) is a factor in deciding the gauge to be used.

Probably what happened to your original wires was that it wouldn't fit into the opening on the amplifier. The installer probably reinserted the bare wire into a stripper for a smaller gauge and pinched off one or two layers of copper strands to make the wires fit. Maybe he cut through more layers than he needed to...that might be why the wires broke off in your hands.

Does anybody know for sure if it is true that a splice reduces signal by 3dB?

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 01:55 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Do you think that I'll get a pin terminal for 6AWG? I would like to have ALL wire fit in the terminal...

Surely our tech cut too much copper wires, but since I'm here to remake the job...

3dB... I really don't know but it seems a bit too much for me...

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-22-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the amps terminals you can probably get either spade or eyelet crimps for the matching stud size and wire guage that you crip on the end of the wire

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: