Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Misuse of Equipment

Author Topic: Misuse of Equipment
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-27-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting this for two reasons...

1. Some of you may need to do this at some point, and it's not easy to come up with blanket terms on-the-spot. You may find it to be a great help if you are able to find some suggestions here.

2. I wonder if you would add your own concerns here...or help with re-wording some of these.

First, some background info...

I have a service agreement with a chain of theatres that calls for regular upkeep of the equipment.

Lately, they have taken to hiring/promoting projectionists without proper training. I see some horrible things getting ready to happen...

* I came across a xenon lamp burning while the projector was idle. Film was threaded.

* A film trap was stuck in the open position. As I was replacing the spring, the new operator said that the last one had told her to "just hit it a few times with a screwdriver."

* A new print had to be broken down and rebuilt because every splice was causing loops to be lost...sprocket holes were not punched through.

* Lots of trailers with bad splices.

* A manager changed a xenon lamp without ANY safety gear...using a unit that had been set aside as "questionable" due to the fact that the packaging showed signs of mishandling and water damage.

I have offered to carry out booth training, but my course takes about four weeks to complete. The problem is that this is a remote location...they aren't willing to cover the cost of hotel accommodations for extended periods.

Also...I don't believe in conducting these sessions for only one candidate...and I think they're pretty much sold on promoting only one person at this particular site.

Which brings me to the point...finally!

I have found it necessary to fashion a "misuse of equipment" statement which says that any equipment failures that arise out of misuse of equipment will be billed on a case-by-case basis.

"Misuse" requires definition...here is what I have (so far):

* Use of booth equipment by untrained or uncertified personnel. (Note: Casual, "on-the-job training" conducted by other employees/managers is not recognized.)
* Use of a procedure by any person who is not authorized to carry out the procedure. (Note: For the purposes of the service agreement, <name of electrician/installer> and myself are the only persons authorized to service the booth equipment.)
* Use of any unauthorized procedure.
* Use of unauthorized tools, including (but not limited to): solvents, oils and lubricants.
* Unauthorized use, handling, repair or maintenance of equipment.
* Unauthorized installation of equipment, components or parts (including screws and other fasteners).
* Failure to operate equipment in accordance with procedures and practices as taught during the certification program.
* Failure to clean the equipment at least once per day. (Note: Operators are trained in an acceptable cleaning method during the official training period.)
* Failure to report equipment irregularities in a timely manner.

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

|  IP: Logged

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I leave my xenon burning all the time. The fire douser keeps the film safe. I find that this saves the ignition of the bulb at ten shows a day. Is this bad? Your recommendatios are always appreciated.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it lit

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-27-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord:

Are you recommending that we leave it lit...if you're running 20hours a day (like Jan)? Or under any circumstance?

I feel compelled to point out that this particular feature had several hours to go before showtime. It was just around 11am and showtime wasn't until around 3pm. Isn't this dangerous? Isn't it a waste of lamp hours?

I always thought that an ignited xenon posed a greater hazard than a cool one..? No?

------------------

~Manny.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no advice to give, but am curious to find out what everyone thinks about the 'to leave it lit, or turn it on and off every show' scenario...... I have heard both ideas being promoted. Which is 'really' the right thing to do? I know leaving it on burns lamp hours, but isn't it the actual ignition stage that 'ages' a lamp the most?

signed 'new to xenons'

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-27-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the "Xenon: Leave It On or Turn It Off" discussion could be a separate thread?

------------------

~Manny.

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to Xenon bulbs I found the following page informative and an interesting read.
http://www.cinemaequipmentsales.com/xenon1.html

And to quote from there (some way through the article) "each bulb ignition decreased the expected bulb life by thirty minutes". So I guess if there is much more than half an hour before the lamp is next needed then switch it off, otherwise leave it on. This though is based on a study done in the sixties so perhaps things have changed, and I guess it is going to be different for various bulbs, and probably lamp houses and power supplies.

I personally leave the bulb on between showings but this is rarely going to be as much as an hour, and only if there is a projectionist arround.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 07:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some rectifiers that allow a standbye mode for between reels or shows
In some of the Osram literature it quotes on certain lamps up to one hour per ignition
If you leave it lit make sure there is someone who knows what they are doing and closes the hand douser
Some lamphouses have a motorized dowser that is locked to the projector motor

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 03:26 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving the lamp on is not a bad idea, on the older Cinema Film Consoles such as the SX-2000...leaving the lamp on was the only way to have a light at the start of the movie...BUT PLEASE close the lamp hand dowser, DO NOT depend on the fire shutter & electric doeser (C/O)you can burn a hole in the plate, especially if using a 3 or 4K lamp...

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my house the lamp lights when the projector stars and shuts
off when the projector stops. In 6 yrs I've only had ignition problems twice.

Manny. Glad to hear you're on top of things. Poorly trained projectionists will have everyone staying home or going somewhere
else. There is too much competition out there for the entertainment
dollar to put up with poor booth work.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-28-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the long periods in between shows here, I think I'm going to insist on making sure the xenons are off when the motor is idle. The automations at that location are actually configured that way.

...But there's always the manual ignition, and that's where the new projectionist ran into trouble:

She didn't know that she had bumped the switch...
She didn't notice that the lamp had ignited...
She probably wouldn't have known how to turn it off even if she had noticed that it was on.

I'm sure we're all in agreement that it's dangerous to hire a newbie to run the booth unsupervised, and that's clearly what's happening at that location.

Leaving the xenon on/off between shows is really a separate issue...and seems to be a matter of preference (for the most part, anyway).

I just don't want to be getting "emergency calls" if we can avoid them. I also get the feeling that it's gonna take a helluva lot more time to fix the newbie-related disasters that lay ahead.

The monthly rate that I charge is based on routine PREVENTIVE maintenance, based on my history with these units. It also covers general repairs. I'm just putting that company on notice that any STUPID mistakes are going to cost them. This is often the only "language" they understand and, thus, it is often the most effective approach to take when trying to bring about a change for the better.

I'm not trying to make extra bucks...I just want them to have well-trained projectionists.

------------------

~Manny.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you need to restructure your pricing...

"X" amount of money for Preventative Maintainence.
"Y" additional amount of money for General (non-emergency) repairs.
"Z" additional amount of money for Emergency Calls.
"Z++" amount of money for repairs made after they do something you told them not to do.

There's a sign on the wall in my auto mechanic's garage:

Labor Rates:

• $40 Normal.
  • $50 If you watch.
  • $100 If you help.
  • $200 If you worked on it first.

I often considered making this a policy myself.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 03:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under misuse, add this line: "Failure to read the equipment manuals".

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always encourage management types to change xenon bulbs without any protective gear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: