Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone use LTI xenons? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone use LTI xenons?
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 02:36 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An engineer I know has LTI bulbs on his site, Xenonbulbs.com, for about as much as my company is paying for ORC bulbs. I am going to try at least one, but I was hoping that others may have tried more and have some testimonials to share.

I used to use Osrams exclusively, then after a belt tightening we switched to ORC and haven't used anything since. I have been disappointed with their performance and will be trying Christie and LTI bulbs. I have heard plenty on Christie (Ushio) bulbs, but nothing on this site about the new LTI bulbs. Are there any other bulbs manufacturers out there that I should try?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2002 03:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LTI lamps from Strong have been good so far for us. They have a bit different warranty for Spotlight use which is an advantage to some. However our mainstay lamp is Ushio, same as Christie as they are Christie's Parent Company. Our warranty rate failure average is less than .5 lamps per year for them over the last three years. Our sales are mainly 2K and 2.5K lamps, some 3Ks. We average about 250 Xenon lamp sales a year which is small by some standards, large by others.
Mark @ CLACO

[ 02-03-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 04:48 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used Ushio for years.
I tried an LTI just after they started & was pleased with it.
It failed after 750 hours so they are sending me a replacement.
One happy customer I am.

Have had little luck with Osram.

The least I have had from Ushio was 1800 hours
The most was 2800 hours & I use that as a spare. Small flicker but ....

Osram was the one that failed today after 5 minutes.
Funny side effect, it turns your trousers brown.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-30-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LTI seems ok for us. Had one failure under warrenty, but that can happen with anyone.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-03-2003 05:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(...digging up an old thread...)

For what it's worth, one theatre where I fill in fairly regularly bought three 2kw LTI bulbs a little over a year ago. Previously, they had used Osram 2kws.

With relatively new Strong lamphouses (installed circa 1998) and good ventilation, the Osrams lasted about 3500-4000 hours at 75-80 amps, which I consider to be very good. We pulled them at 4000, regardless of flicker or brightness; several were still good at that point. Now the LTI bulbs are starting to flicker at about 2500 hours (one quite badly), which isn't unreasonable, but is much worse than we were getting with Osrams. Operating conditions have not changed.

The LTI bulbs were all purchased at the same time, so we may have gotten a bad batch, but they probably won't be ordering LTI again soon. The quality of light was quite good for both, but Osram appears to be cheaper on a per-hour basis.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 06:22 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used and would standby LTI Lamps as a great product. I think that they have a better light output than other lamps I have used.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2003 08:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I've both used them, and we sell quite a few of them. No failures or returns except for two that were mis-marked lamps....which is quite odd. If the quality stays where it is other manufacturers may start to feel loss of sales. Also, if you call whatser name a day or two in advance you can get a tour of the plant....
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 08:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll chime in...

Never used LTI lamps.

I've had so-so reliability with Christie lamps. Some lasting 2500-3000 hours, others getting dim and flickering at 1000-1500 (could have been the lamphouse's fault.)

Right now, we have all Osrams installed in vertical CFS and Xetron lamphouses. The next three on the list to be changed have been running for 5,000 7,200 and 9,800 hours!! The bulbs themselves are black on the top but the on-screen image is still very good without any flicker.

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2003 08:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I've had so-so reliability with Christie lamps."
Never had so much as a blip from a Christie(actually Ushio)lamp. If they are not lasting you have a serious lamphouse or rectifier problem. Anyway, running lamps as long as you are saying is dangerous and will eventually result ina loss of your reflector, or RH mirror. I always say not past rated life plus 10 to 15% extra. Many do, but it is foolish to do so in the long run. Check that you can suck the Sunday paper up all of your lamphouse exhaust stacks. If ya can't then there is NOT enough airflow. The rectifiers could also be at fault here with too much inrush current, or ripple comming into play. The CFS stuff is known to be pretty notoroius!!
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Procyk wrote: "The next three on the list to be changed have been running for 5,000 7,200 and 9,800 hours!! The bulbs themselves are black on the top but the on-screen image is still very good without any flicker."

While I'm pleased that your "on-screen image is still very good without any flicker" (BTW, have you actually MEASURED your screen luminance lately?), I fear that you may be courting catastrophic lamp failure running lamps that much over the expected lifetime. [Eek!]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-03-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Only had one experience with an LTI lamp. It was sitting in it's shipping box, brand new, on a shelf when it blew up.

No thanks.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it's dangerous to run lamps that long, which is why they're going to be changed. [Smile]

Not by me, of course. I'd hate to have one of those explode on ME because SOMEONE ELSE was being cheap with them. [Wink]

=TMP=

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I fear that you may be courting catastrophic lamp failure running lamps that much over the expected lifetime.
So here's a quesion that will expose my ignorance - how long can you safely run a bulb? I have a 3k ORC bulb that would appear to have 7800 hours on it. At first I thought somebody neglected to fill out the log when they changed it, but after reading this thread - and seeing the bulb - I'm not so sure. It is blackened a bit at the top and the cathode is badly scarred and sort of melted.

Needless to say, I will not be putting it back into service after our move...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-03-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
3k ORC bulb with 7800 hours??? Is that even possible with an ORC bulb??? I'm betting it was changed and no one logged it. Regardless...get that thing out TODAY! It's not worth the risk.

Each bulb should come with a warranty card and paperwork showing what the warranty hours are. I generally find most xenons are safe to 125% of their warranty hours. Past that I keep a close watch on them. If the glass starts to blacken (or turn a milky white), pull it. If the xenon starts to flicker, pull it. If the xenon starts to become difficult to strike, pull it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opinions about how much beyond the rated life vary, but the guideline cited by Mark Gulbrandsen is a good starting point:

quote:
Anyway, running lamps as long as you are saying is dangerous and will eventually result ina loss of your reflector, or RH mirror. I always say not past rated life plus 10 to 15% extra.
Much will depend on things like proper ventilation, current ripple, lamp type, etc. But once you have a lamp explode due to excessive age, you'll wish you had replaced it sooner. [Razz]

BTW, old lamps with imminent seal failure or vitrified quartz are especially dangerous to handle, even when cold. Follow all safety precautions rigorously --- or that old lamp may be the last thing you see. [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: