Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Port glass and lens cleaning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Port glass and lens cleaning
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:28 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater actually has proper optical quality port windows (the first time I've had the luxury of working with such windows!). Our installation tech was very picky abot what we use to clean them. He gave us a couple rolls of Webril Wipes, and that's what I've been using. They seem to work fine, except that they sometimes leave some cotton "lint" on the windows. How to I completely get rid of that?

Also, sometimes the windows come out a bit streaky. I've tried cleaning some of the windows with a lens tissue after I use the Webril Wipe to get it as spotless as possible, but you can still see some *slight* streaking. I know that ideally you are not supposed to see any of the picture on the port glass, but in reality is this ever going to happen?

Are Kim Wipes OK to use as lens tissue? Until this theater, that's what I've always used. I am currently taking a soldering class and we use Kim Wipes to clean the flux residue off the boards. The instructor said they have fiberglass in them, which raised a red flag in my head. I've never known them to damage a lens, but I just wnated to make sure. thx.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Kim Wipes all the time but they have different grades and they do have an optical lint free one

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Gordon said KimWipes come in different types. Make sure you're using the ones intended for use on glass, not the ones used for cleaning solder flux residue!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-10-2002 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, is your port glass coated?

And, yes...as Gordon and David suggested, be very careful on what grade of Kim-Wipe you use.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-10-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the AMC in Pasadena, we used a chalky liquid by a company called Liberty Optical (or something like that) to clean the port windows. When the liquid dried it would leave behind a white film and then we would have to *gently* buff the glass. It would get SCARY clear after a cleaning like that.

I don't know if those windows were coated. I think they were the Kelmar windows. They were on a hinge and you could easily get to the other side without having to trek up a ladder.

If anybody knows the real name of this product I've described, please post it here...I'd like to order some of it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-10-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are Kimwipes?

Any camera store should carry proper lens tissue and lens cleaning fluid. That's what I've always used.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KimWipes are the laboratory-grade tissues produced by the Kimberly-Clark corporation, the folks who bring you Kleenex(tm).
I seem to recall there being many more varieties than I see on the web page there, but KC makes a fair number of wipes, many of which are not branded KimWipes, though they may be called that colloquially.

--jhawk

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-10-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I still prefer the good old fashioned Rosco Lens Tissue. I would think twice before I would use anything else on my new lens.

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is something that Brad suggested back on 1-21-2001. I tried it and it DOES work.

Get yourself lens cleaner, McDonald's napkins and a small 2x4 inch sanding block from a hardware store. Using 3-4 napkins at a time, wrap them on the sanding side of the block and douse the napkins fairly generously with lens cleaner. Wipe the inside of the glass with medium pressure (nothing strenuous) in a vertical motion. Then IMMEDIATELY take a few more napkins and lay them on the sanding block and press HARD on the glass to wipe it dry, again using vertical strokes. Repeat this procedure for the auditorium side, but wipe this one in a horizintal fashion. Then turn on the projector and xenon with no film in the projector and take a look at your glass. If you see any vertical streaks, they are on the inside of the glass and you can generally touch them up with a dry napkin. If the streaks are horizontal, they are on the outside of the glass and again you can generally fix it with a dry napkin.
There's just something about those McDonald's napkins that works wonders on optical glass. However you must have the sanding block to do a good job. Don't try and use other kinds of napkins, as McDonald's has the only good ones for this job. The lens cleaner will get off that baked on cheap glass cleaner residue. When you are done, you will not be able to tell there is glass in the window frame.

BTW, could you tell me who manufactures the Webril Wipes. I will have our buyer try to get some. The MikeyD's near the theatre really don't like to see me!! :-)

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The McDonald's thing would be to much of a pain, seeing we have 15 screens and have the THX doulbe port glass. i use i squeegee and squeegee scruber. the cleaner is "squeegee off" stuff works great. its very dilutable. 2 table spoons to a gallon of water. i can do all 15 screen in no time.
kyle

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny:
I think you are describing a very inflated priced Bon Ami[ has`nt scratched yet] We used this on Peerless and Brenkert arc lamp reflectors in my day.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-10-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Bon Ami? I'm interested.

For the collectors/reflectors I just tried Simichrome today and it's amazing!

My new tech turned me on to it. We were able to find it at the local motorcycle enthusiast shop. It's a paste and it comes in a tube.

It says that it is for metal products, so I don't think I'll be using it on glass (although it might work just fine).

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-10-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Webril Wipes are pretty common booth products.

Webril is made by BBA Nonwovens in Walpole, MA 02081

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what grade of KimWipes were used at my theaters or in the soldering lab at school, but the boxes look the same and the wipes feel the same. (At my current theater we use Rosco lens tissue; I was just asking out of curiosity because I used KimWipes in the past.) I would hope that a theater supplier would be smart enough to carry the optical quality wipes, so perhaps my school is using the wrong ones. Or, are the boxes very very similar with the only difference, perhaps, being the product number?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the website, it looks like in both cases I was using product 34155. I recognize the name Delicate Task Wipers from both boxes. The website calles them KIMTECH Science Delicate Task Wipers, and I guess the different product numbers are just different sizes and quantities. I don't remember the name KIMTECH from the box, but that's the only product that has the name Delicate Task Wipers in it. The site doesn't really specify what it's specific uses are.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: