Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Draining Oil on Simplex 35

Author Topic: Draining Oil on Simplex 35
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a few crusty Simplex 35 machines (I know I know... envy me) which probably haven't had the oil changed in about 350 years (picture below). I was wondering the best way to drain the oil on this vintage of machine? Will I need to wear an apron?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 04:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, there is an oil drain on the back side of the projector head right below the back glass cover. Just wedge a cup under there and open up the drain. There is only about 1/3 of a cup of oil in these machines. The close the drain and refill with a similar amount of oil.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-22-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that photo brings back some nice memories for me. I used to work with those projectors at the AMC in Pasadena, but they had a motorized turret for the lenses. I loved those projectors.

If it's anything like changing the oil in the Prevost P-93 then you might just need to get a dishpan and hold it up to the outlet at an angle to catch all of the initial splash-out. I hold the pan at the front corner to catch the oil that slides down on the body of the projector.

Joe: You don't seem like the sort of guy that needs anyone to point out the obvious, but someone else might read this in a year's time...So have a good supply of paper towels and your favorite degreasing product on hand to clean up the outside (and the inside).

Is that an Orcon 1600 lamphouse/console?

I'm sure there are a lot of people using those Simplexes and it will be interesting to read about their first-hand advice.

[EDITED: Wow! I guess there's a major difference between that machine and the Prevost, which takes about a quart of oil.]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you need paper towles, buckets, whatever below these machines just to catch the oil during normal operation! Why they were just not designed to never leak oil in the first place (with proper maitenence) is beyond me. My guess is that the designers just weren't up to snuff.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, take the gear case cover off and start the projector motor.

THAT should do it.

j/k

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tech I know had an ingenius (sp?) idea. He did this to all the Simplexes in his service area. He removed the petcock, screwed in some sort of tap or spout in its placed, and stuck about a 2-foot long tube (looked kinda like fishtank air hose, but thicker) onto the spout. At the other end of the tube was a cork, and a hook. The hook is used to hook the tube in an upright position when not in use and the cork is for, well, keeping the oil in. All you have to do to drain the oil now is remove the cork and lower the end of the tube into an empty container...just like a Kiniton. I even used the hook to hang an empty Simplex oil can so it can drain for a really long time without me babysitting. It worked great! If I can get a pic I'll post it here.

Don't forget to remove the back cover and clean the filter whenever the oil is changed. That thing can get pretty nasty.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2002 03:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using a syphon gun that can be purchased at any automotive parts shop will do the job nicely. One "Schlook" and it is all gone. Then pull the drain plug and use stoddard solvent to flush out the sump, and remove the oil sump screen for cleaning. No muss, no fuss.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPSIES! Double click sometimes does not work too well.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping up to top for Rick

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Darryl. Think I could find that? Still I would like to adapt a longer oil-tube to these machines.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 09:37 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the new Strong Milleuum Simplex machines with lens turrent why even put a oil drain on them, you can't get to it to drain the oil when you want to....so I take off the gears cover & use a Thurkey Baster to suck up the oil into a drain pan or a large drink cup, I also use the baster to put back the new oil into the machine...this works great....maybe Strong should start to include this with their kits, but paint it gray & black with a stong sticker (logo)....then call it the oil suckumister part # P-1000123....

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-31-2002 11:06 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong probably has the part which they can borrow from their "chicken on the Run" product line
Too close to lunch time....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I removed the factory installed petcock, took a trip to the plumbing store, purchased a brass nipple threaded on both ends. Purchased a brass elbow, reinstalled the petcock in the elbow, assembled as shown and it works well. Still takes a bit of time to drain all the oil. Prefered brass as to not strip the threads in the casting.
Hope this helps.
lance

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, I'd just put a tapered pipe plug in the end of the thing instead of that valve. They ahve a tendency to drip if not super snugged up. This may allow unwanted oil to get into your Bodine drive motor and cause other probs. A bit longer pipe perhaps but all those valves do leak a tiny bit.
Joe, If they leak that much don't let doing any changes worry you!! Just keep them filled and the oil change will not be required. The new 1/3 cup of oil probably goes right through to the floor every week or so!!
Mark G.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: