Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lenses - Getting new ones, need advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lenses - Getting new ones, need advice
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-24-2002 01:35 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to replace all of the lenses in these projectors here. The flat lenses are currently Westar lenses and the scopes are Kollmorgen.

RESTRAIN YOURSELF! -- I know these lenses SUCK already. That's why I'm replacing them.

Briefly...the Westars were purchased used and they all have pits and/or scratches. Some of them seem to have little web-like formations "growing" on the inside (mold?) They also happen to be the wrong size...a few of these flat images come frightfully close to filling the scope screen.

Kollmorgen lenses are outmoded. They don't focus. Actually, the specific problem that I've experienced with ALL of these is that if you focus the centre of the image, the sides will fall out-of-focus. If you split the difference, then the ENTIRE picture is somewhat out-of-focus. Some of them also have "stains" on them.

But...please...let's not dwell on the outgoing lenses...

...Here's what I have requested a quote for...

Isco-Optic CinemaScope Blue-Star lenses (scope) These are the blue lenses
Isco-Optic Ultrastar HD PLUS (flat) These are the red lenses

Am I on the right track here?
Are they gonna cost a fortune?
What's your take on used lenses?
Is there something better (or comparable) you wanna suggest?

Please let me know what you think! I'd appreciate the help.

Just so you know: I did a search and I got some information to start with. But I can't see where this topic has been "done to death" or anything like that.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'growth' could be mould, or it could be that the balsam holding the elements together has started to come apart. Modern lenses tend not to use bonded elements and thus avoid this problem.

I only use the red or blue Isco lenses if the situation demands it. ie Preview room or something in the theatre conditions demands the extra performance, short throw & big screen for example. For most cinemas the gold ones are perfectly adequate.

To answer your questions.

Expensive, depends on what you call expensive. IMHO good lenses are worth every penny, and will last almost indefinitely if well cared for.

You won't be dissapointed with the picture from those lenses.

Used lenses I'ev no problem with if they are a good make and are in good condition, if you'ev sourced some used lenses, ensure you can try before you buy.

As far as I'm concerned there's only two companies make lenses. Isco and Schneider.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-24-2002 06:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schneider has the most complete set of lenses including the variable prime. The Isco Red are fine if you are unable to get enough light on the screen. Due to to humidity, consideration of the care of new lenses should be considered what ever you buy.....and since you are technically out of the USA, ask for international pricing which is less.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-24-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to Anamorphics...there is the Blue-Star...no others need apply. It really is THAT good and worth the difference. It will hold corner-to-corner sharpness like no others. Also, it's expansion is predictable and really is 2:1. You'd be surprised at how the 4-element anamorphics tend to over or under expand (depending on the back focal length).

For the prime lenses, ISCO's plus lenses or Schneider's SC lenses are both excellent choices. The PLUS series is a bit more flexible in that there are stop-down rings (f/2.4 and f/2.7) if you want to balance light a bit better between formats or to improve depth of focus. The PLUS lenses brightness improvements are chiefly in the corners...they don't hot-spot like older designs. Schenider lenses tend to have a more contrasty look to them. They really low lens flare.

When it comes to cutting your aperture plates, watch out on the PLUS lenses...they practically look around the aperture plate! The fringe area is notably larger than using older designs. I have found this to be true of Schneider lenses on some focal lengths as well.

To answer you question though...yes you are on the right track.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 09:05 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think when we looked at ISCO Blue-Star anamorphics, we couldn't get them since they are only available within a certain focal-length parameter, and we needed longer focal length (integrated) anamorphics.

Is it still true that the longest one available is about 50MM or so? That's what I remember, so they are only applicable if you have a short throw/big blow-up.

On two of our screens, we couldn't even get integrateds, let alone blues...(focal length in excess of 90MM for the backing lenses).

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-24-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: What did you get instead?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 11:39 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 90MM+ requirements, we went for separate prime backing lenses and anamorphic attachments, both ISCO. For longer lenses like these, there isn't the range to choose from, so the choice isn't really there (or basically, pick your brand!).

Actually, I just looked at the ISCO site and you can actually get integrated anamorphics up to 95MM...maybe we needed longer than that, or a 'between' focal length. I will check next time I'm at work. I should remember these things!

ISCO Blue Star integrated anamorphics are only available in 42, 45 and 48MM, according to their website. If you can't use those, then something else from their range would need to be used. You can also get 'red' and 'gold' series integrateds.

For our more 'normal' focal lengths, we got 'gold' series ISCO integrateds. I think the red series is optimised if you are light-challenged; otherwise the golds do well.

One of the most recent screens we added has stunning sharpness in scope (ISCO gold integrated). Cannot recommend them highly enough. I can only imagine what the blue ones must be like. You cannot go wrong with ISCO.

Steve is right - Schneider are a little more contrasty, but overall I prefer ISCO. They are spectacular lenses.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 11:42 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all;

First -- yes, you are on the right track. You might take a look at the Inventory Reduction Program Strong has going on right now -- great way to pick up some Ultra-Star * HD lenses at a great price, if the focal length(s) and/or types you need are still available.

ISCO's Blue Stars are in two types. The "Cinemascope Blue Star" is the integrated type, available in 42, 45 and 48mm focal lengths. The "Blue Star Cinemascope Attachmnet" is the 2:1 Anamorphic that you attach to a fixed focal length prime lens. This attachment works with ISCO Plus lenses above 52.5mm with the proper adapter., and with Ultra-Star * HD lenses above (I think) 65mm.

Michael -- as much as I like the Integrated Scope lenses, I still prefer a separate prime lens with the separate anamorphic, either the great Blue Star or the nearly as great Ultra-Star * HD Cinemascope attachment, especially in critical applications. These are larger lens assemblies than the integrated's but they do give a sharper image with better light uniformity on screen. The difference is the anamorphic section itself, where the separate attachments have more elements.

Pat

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-24-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have checked the first six screens and they are 85mm and 90mm for the scope backup lenses.

No Blue-Star for me?

"Where do we go from here?"
--Eva Peron, "Evita"

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 03:59 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny; Sure, Blue Stars could be in your future.

You could use the Blue Star Anamorphic with 85 or 90mm prime lenses in the ISCO line. You'd have great results. Couple the Blue Star Anamorphics to Ultra-Star * HD lenses and your picture would be awfully good.

Pat

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-24-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Why do you want to fool with integrated anamorphics? Unless you have a clearance problem of your flat image hitting the anamorphic lens with a turret, there is no sensible reason to us an integrated. Stick with the Blue-Stars if you can afford them.

Steve

------------------

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-24-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I didn't know that was the reason for going with integrated lenses.

No...there's no problem with the flat image hitting the scope lens.

Does this mean you'd like to recommend something else? By all means, go ahead...I'm all ears

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there was a difference in quality between the integrated anamorphics and the separate attachments.

So basically, if you have the clearance for it, and your turret motors can handle the slight increase in bulk/weight of separates, go for the blues!

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-24-2002 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a substantial improvement to using separates. The ONLY reason to use integrated anamorphic lenses is if you have a clearence problem or the focal length is so short as to require the integrated anamorphic to avoid vignetting.

As to suggestions, I believe I have already made them...if you can afford them, use the Blue-Star anamorphics. For the prime lenses, you have both ISCO and Schneider to choose from. Each have their ups and downs and personal preference will often decide which you choose.

As Pat stated there is a pretty good sale going on for the older style ISCOs as well...including the Ultra-Star line of primes and anamorphics.

Steve

------------------

Manny Knowles

- posted 07-24-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I need clarification on what you need when you say "go for the blues"...

...Are all Blue-Star lenses (the integrated as well as the components) actually blue in color?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: