Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sub EQ

Author Topic: Sub EQ
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 06:37 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say that you have a sub like this on RTA

Equalizing a sub means cut off the main resonance of the room.
Would you cut just the 60hz peak

Or cut up to reach 40Hz

What is the correct procedure?
Thanks

------------------
Antonio Marcheselli
Florence, Italy

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-26-2002 08:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always best to attempt to attinuate the offending frequency rather than boosting the others

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 08:41 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

It isn't what I meant! Both my example are cutting on 60Hz. I wonder if It is better to cut up to have 60Hz = 50Hz or to have 60Hz = 40Hz.

This is my Home SW, but one of our theater has +/- the same response (4645C) but with less resonance on 60. Will be better to cut just the 60Hz or the entire 50-70 Hz band?

Bye

------------------
Antonio Marcheselli
Florence, Italy

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2002 01:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to know just what that subwoofer could do but on the surface, I'd try to EQ to 40Hz based on your printouts...BTW which analyzer did you use? Spectra Plus?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Was SpectraLAB, is it different from spectraplus?

Uhm... You're right. Who equalize should know what the speaker can do before equalize.

Let's suppose that that graph are about a 4645C sub (without B6). Since 4645C has a flat response up to 35 Hz, means that is not flat up to 35Hz is a room resonance, right?

Bye

------------------
Antonio Marcheselli
Florence, Italy

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

How would someone go about getting some training in the EQ dept. Is their a do it your self guide somewhere where a person like myself with no skills can learn how to do it? I do know that RTA's are a bit expensive and i know that affordable RTA's have been discussed on this site but which RTA would you reccomend for a beginner to start out with, including the mics.

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 10:35 AM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio,

i would always recommend to do as less equalizing on the sub as you can. Answering your question, please don't even try to cut the 60 Hz down to the 40 Hz level, although i believe that you won't be able to have a - 18 dB cut with a regular cinema-processor. What you see on your RTA will mostly be a resonance peak caused by the room-acoustics and not the first audible wave coming from the cabinet. You should firstly go and listen to it, probably using the DOLBY Jiffy-Testfilm, and maybe after that you don't want to equalize anything at all. We use a lot of JBL 4645 down here and from my experience they sound best without any EQing at all.

By the way: where and HOW do you put your microphone in the auditorium and what kind of floor is there? Wood?

Kind regards
from sunny Germany

Oliver

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver,

That graph is not about a 4645B, it is my canton AS25 (HT sub) but our 4x4645B in one of our theater has approx. the same response.

Our tech cut gently at 60hz, -4dB. But since that speaker are flat up to 35, I wonder if we can try to cut up to the same level of 40Hz...

The floor of the theater is in linoleum.

Bye
Antonio

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 05:07 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the 4645C sound best not equalized ? ok, they have pretty natural flat response down to 25hz or (from 100hz) but still, they need some EQ. the SF3 module with the QSC DCA amps is one good solution to high pass at 20 or 25 and boost at 25-30hz. But EQ to try to make sound 1 or 2 4645C like 6 or 8 is wrong if that's the target: first, enough subs, stacked, enough power (800-1500Watts, real watts that is), high pass at 20 or 25hz depending on the power used, then EQ to flatten things out.
I use 2 4645C in my HC with a Berhinger parametric EQ and the power amp high pass at 18hz, 18db per octave (it's a small amp for now, 2x250 at 4ohms, AB, cooled). Next will be a QSC DCA 2422 or 3422 with SF3.
Well that does not answer the question but this chart looks pretty awful, in terms frequency response!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-03-2002 10:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver said"What you see on your RTA will mostly be a resonance peak caused by the room-acoustics and not the first audible wave coming from the cabinet."
In large rooms the standard for equalization is the room included not the near field (first wave) response. There is only one brand of sound system that uses near field eq techniques and the rest of the industry doesn't support that philosphy

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-03-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to Gordon's response...with a subwoofer, virtually all subtracks are long in duration and will "build up" in the room. This gives further support to evaluating a room resonance. It is also the reason I recommend only using the "continious pink noise" spec when judging subwoofer power handling.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: