Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Extending the Simplex 1060 oil-drain tube.

Author Topic: Extending the Simplex 1060 oil-drain tube.
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search on this, honestly, but must have missed what I was looking for.

Maybe its the way I am doing it (using a funnel), but I find it nearly impossible to drain the Simplex 1060 or Millenium projectors without getting at least some oil on the belts. Also, the need to stand at the projector with a funnel while it drains adds to the time needed to change oil in a multiplex.

I notice that there is enough room for this oil tube at the front of the projector to be extended 3 or 4 inches, at least, which would then make it possible to hang a small can on the end of the oil tube making it possible to drain more than one projector at a time.

My question is; does Strong sell an extender for this tube, or would someone be kind enough to give me the thread size so that I can get a bunch made?

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the easiest way of draining the oil is to buy a piece of small plastic tubing that fits snug in the end of the drain hole. Cram the tubing in the hole (there is really no pressure so it should stay put )Then get a old gallon soap bottle or some other plastic container with a lid. Drill a small hole in the top of the lid for the hose to fit in, make sure the hose is snug in the hole so it won't fly out and oil drains all over the floor. Also make sure to drill another small hole somewhere at the top of the bottle for suction. Make a couple of these then you'll have non-stop oil changing fun

I guess I should add this works great with the oil plugs that have the petcock plug. The trick is to first loosen the petcock plug with pliers then hold the hose in the hole as you loosen the petcock plug by hand.

hope this helps

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 05:00 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dim memory of using a flex soda straw to drain intermittants, but don't remember whether on Century or Simplex machines. Not your models, anway, but the straws worked and were cheap and expendable.

Rick Sanjurjo
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 05:57 PM      Profile for Rick Sanjurjo   Email Rick Sanjurjo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,
I have seen extensions on the drain and am told they work well. The pipe would have to be 1/4" pipe thread. Strong does not currently sell a kit to do this.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong SHOULD supply the extension as as standard equipment with every Millennium equipped with electric turretts!! If not, then Strong factory personell should be sent out to every Millennium X-L on a regular basis, at no charge, and be forced to TRY to drain the oil out of them........somehow.........or clean it off the floor.......
Mark G.

Rick Sanjurjo
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 10:42 PM      Profile for Rick Sanjurjo   Email Rick Sanjurjo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I will make a kit for the Simplex projector to make changing the oil easier. I have changed the oil a few times myself and it is a dirty job. I will post later with a part number.

Thanks
Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-02-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Rick! I will let my customers know about it. Since most of them do the oil changing themselves they will be glad to hear about it.
Mark G.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-02-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the easiest way to change the oil is by using a syphon gun from the local auto parts house. It almost sucks the sump bone dry. No muss, no fuss. One schlook and it is all gone. The turbulance created by a strong pull of the handle sucks most of the loose crap out of the sump that normal draining will not do.

The ones I used look like grease guns with a plastic tube.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-02-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, I think Rick is about to sell a heap of kits!

Very cool Rick. I'll definitely have to play with one.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I kinda like Paul's idea of the suction gun. Since I start by taking the back of several projectors anyway (to clean the intake filter and plastic cover), this would seem to be the most time-efficient way of doing the job, and as Paul says, gets some goop that draining it the regular way might miss.

BTW, I have found all-purpose Vim to be the best at cleaning the clear plastic. Spray it on when you take the cover off and let it sit while you do the oil change. Much better than Windex at this job.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clean all the soot at the bottom of the projector after the oil was drained, I used to use those long wooden-handled q-tips. I just thought of something? What would happen if some of the cotton came off and stayed inside the projector. Although it's just a tiny bit, would it hurt anything?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might plug up an oil line resulting, eventually in a seized intermittent.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 12:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will make a kit for the Simplex projector to make changing the oil easier. I have changed the oil a few times myself and it is a dirty job. I will post later with a part number

When will we get a spin-on oil filter for the Simplex 35 to replace the little wire basket which doesn't come apart but still has mysterious little things in there even after soaking it in naptha, acetone, gasoline, etc?

And how about other cool accessories, like dazzling blue halogen framing lights, neon for the undercarriage, & a plastic gold chain frame for the SN plate?

Rick Sanjurjo
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 08:10 AM      Profile for Rick Sanjurjo   Email Rick Sanjurjo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it, how about a gold plated neon lit serial number plate?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, no racing stripes?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: