Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where missed cues actually improved a show

Author Topic: Where missed cues actually improved a show
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange but true -- and it happened when I saw Lovely & Amazing at the AMC Empire in NYC on 7/27.

Lights should go to halfway at the end of the AMC "Previews" snipe. Actually the lights stayed up full until the 4th or 5th trailer when the booth staff manually set the lights to halfway.

Lights should go down at the end of the AMC "Feature Presentation" snipe. Actually the lights stayed at halfway all the way through the feature. This turned out to be a smart move -- Lovely & Amazing was shot on video and transferred to 35mm.

Lights should go up to halfway at the start of the end credits. This time the projector read the cue and brought the lights all the way down. The booth staff spotted this and manually brought the lights back up to halfway.

All this happened on the "Top of the Empire" (arthouse) floor.

Also, the print had the Lions Gate logo running twice at the beginning of R1. Misprint? Replacement of a defective R1?

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did this actually improve the show?
I think Im missing something here.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-31-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it helped hide the crappy video-to-film transfer look. Maybe we should try this on Cameron's Imax film, too.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-31-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lions Gate seems to have a lot of problems with their contract film service adding their logos to existing prints. I've caught prints with the logo spliced on upside-down/reverse, out of frame, wrong format, etc. I'm not sure if I've had doubles but I guess I must have because I do recall removing a logo of the wrong format and replacing it with the correct one which I already had on hand so it must've come from a print that had two.

And then there was the movie with the entire first 5 or 6 minutes duplicated but I don't recall if that was LG.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of reel 1 on "Savin' Private Ryan" it repeated the last 2 or 3 minutes of the end of the reel before the splice. It was after this happened on a sold out audience Friday night that management decided to let us screen prints in advance.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had 2 prints in the last year that had this "repeating footage." Why does it happen?? Both times it was about 2 minutes of repeatd film. I've been tipped off by the non-matching soundtracks on the leaders.

Adam Martin

- posted 08-01-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I had duplicate footage on a used print of Apollo 13. It was about 3-4 minutes long ... long enough to not notice it right away. It happened in the middle of the reel. At the time, I chalked it up to combining two bad reels to make a good one.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw repeating footage happen when I went to see Titanic on opening night. It was when Jack and Rose were on the deck talking during the sunset and was had three splices. (couldn't tell if they were lab splices or not, but there were LOUD pops)...

"Why can't I be like you..."
POP
"...be like you, Jack? Just head out for the..."
POP
"....Jack? Just head out for the horizon whenever I feel like..."
POP
"....zon whenever I feel like it. Say we'll go to that pier sometime"

and it was fine after that. Strangest thing ever. The theater also put a flat policy on it, flipped the lens for the policy then flipped it again after the Paramount logo, so maybe they had something to do with it.

=TMP=

Adam Martin

- posted 08-02-2002 02:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! That show sounds like it was loads of fun. I wish I had been there!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 07:43 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To keep this thread from drifting I've bumped up the thread titled "O brother, scenes are repeating".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: