Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cheap Flat Plastic Fresnel Lenses

Author Topic: Cheap Flat Plastic Fresnel Lenses
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-02-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With carbons in unreliable supply and quality we relamped our Brenograph with FX750 projection bulbs. We knew the light output would be much lower but it turned out a lot lower than wer figured. The problem was the arc produced so much light that it was bright even though the surface of the rear condenser was extremely pitted from many years of arc striking with the douser open. (I've been told that the guys in the 30s and 40s really hated this machine and did this to get even with management for using it). We experimented with a lot of things and ended up removing the damaged condenser and left the other of the pair in place. The damaged condenser was replaced with one of those flat plastic flexible magnifier sheets that can be bought at bookstores, and office suppliers for about $2.50. Cut with scissors to get it centered, it was placed ahead of the remaining glass condenser. It worked perfectly a d raised the light level to nearly the same as the arc put on the screen thru the bad lens. For two bucks it replaced a lens that would have cost $50 or more if it could be found. Try one of them if you have a similar need. Just be careful to center it.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-02-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, would it be possable to post some pictures of this so everyone can see what you have done. Thanks

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 06:32 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Bill,

I am pleased that you have found a way to keep that vintage piece of gear in operation. It is important to preserve the heritage of the theatre. There will be no more Brenographs made but I am sure that there will be slide projectors of some type made for a long time.

I have been a fan of the "Byrd Theatre" ever since my Hi Fi Stereo days when I got the wonderful recording of Dick Liebert on the Richmond Byrd WurliTzer organ. The disc is called "Liebert Takes Richmond". It was also available in the new format of 1/4 inch two track stereo tape!

Great Job,
KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: