Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart SR-S processor

Author Topic: Smart SR-S processor
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with the SR output level in one of my houses that uses the Smart SR-S processor. This house also also has a DTS-6 unit as well. The SR output seems realy faint in comparison to the DTS level. Once the timecoded trailers begin to run the volume blasts patrons out of the auditorium (not literally, but you get the point). We find that we are switching the volume levels in this house on a per show basis. I know there has to be *something* I can do today to remedey this.. I just need someone who knows the cards to 'splain to me what to do. If I can trim the DTS output level down that would work as well...

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are three possible problems
1 the a chain level is incorrect so a cat69t needs to be run and the level checked on the meter card ( you should see the led display bouncing up fairly high during trailors if not the reader may neeed realignment)
The second isThe B chain levels of the processor are off. Smart recomends a level of 79dbc slow at the cal mark which is much lower than you would have with the dts levels set for 85

The third possibility is the DTS output levels are not adjusted correctly
For all off the above test equipment and films are required

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 07:11 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Gordon has pretty much nailed it as far as possible causes.

For a long time, we have recommended setting the SPL levels to 79 dBc when using the SMART pink noise generator. We do this because we have been told and have discovered ourselves that setting to 85 results in levels that are just generally too loud at the CAL point on the fader. (Playing at reference level has been a topic of much hot debate on this forum.) If the SMART B Chain levels are at 79 dBc, and the DTS levels are set at 85 dBc, then this is probably the cause of the problem.

A complete check of system levels is in order, and in the final analysis, the DTS levels can be adjusted on the DTS unit to give a level that is pretty close to the SR level when switching back and forth between DTS and SR. As Gordon said, this will require test equipment to properly accomplish.

Do you do your own tech work? If not, I can recommend someone who knows this equipment inside and out and is not too far from you.

Let me know what I can do to help you further.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

We sure to set your DTS levels to the buss level of the CP. I believe that the SMART CP level is 300mV RMS (I'm sure that I will be corrected if that is not true). Use the DS3 setup disc tones to set the DTS player for 300mV RMS on each channel. This way, when the DTS reverts to analog, the digital and analog levels will match.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-05-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the buss level is higher than that on the mod2's somewhere in my tired braincells 700 comes to mind probably could be wrong
The only problem with setting just the bus level is that if the problem exists elsewhere then the problem will not get corrected
I think from the sounds of things it is time for your service engineer to come in and put the system right

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 03:37 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon, Karen & Oscar.
I'll have to phone the tech and get him back down here to get the problem corrected. I've printed out your reccomendations for him to look at as well.

Thanks again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-05-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he has any questions don't hesitate to ask

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: