Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Multiplexer -- Ultra Stereo Labs MMP-10

Author Topic: Multiplexer -- Ultra Stereo Labs MMP-10
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-16-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my new USL microphone/multiplexer kit and I had problems getting everything to fit back into the original pouch so -- rather than cram everything back in there -- I simply decided to buy a new carrying case. Rubbermaid makes a small tool bag that seems made for this mux kit.

But...I am curious as to whether the mics are fragile or not. I know the microphone for the Ivie RTA is sensitive and doesn't like to be bumped around. I wondered if that was true of all mics or, more particularly, these mics.

Mark G. mentioned (in another thread "What is a good RTA") that he did not like that the microphones did not have automatic gain adjustment. Do they have manual adjustment? I just got the kit so I haven't had a chance to read through any of the literature that came with it.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-16-2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
duplicate post removed by author

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-16-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Countryman mikes in the MMP-10 are pretty robust and short of smashing them with a hammer or stomping on them with your foot, should take quite a bit of abuse.

The weak points on these mikes is where the cables connect to the mike and the mini-XLR connector.

FWIW, I can get all the items to fit inside the bag- it's all in how you roll things up and pack it

-Aaron

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-16-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's a relief to hear that they're solid little things.

I figured that it was a matter of sequencing when putting things back but I just thought it was going to be too much unnecessary work.

The little Rubbermaid tool bag is very nice. I'll take a photo and post it here tomorrow, if the spirit moves me.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2002 11:33 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Manny,

The MMP-10 is calibrated to an Ivie RTA in our shop before it leaves.

Levels are adjustable. Look in the manual on page 6 for instructions.

Like Arron said, the microphones are very robust. The weak point is where the cables connect to the mirophone at the mini-XLR connector.

If you have any questions you can e-mail me at clint@uslinc.com

Clint

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint,

Which Ivie RTA is this-- IE-30A, PC40? If I were to use a MMP-10 with said RTA, could I perform the calibration procedure myself?

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-17-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used the kit with an Ivie IE-30 today and we had to lower the output level on the multiplexer by about 20dB.

I haven't finished with the EQ though because the wires to my Right channel don't have continuity and have to be re-run. [This is discussed in another topic, "There was a splice in my speaker wire."]

Will let you know what I think of the EQ when it's done.

~Manny.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-17-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I use the USL with the goldline DSP30 I take the cel spl meter to each mic and measure the SPL at it and then set the gain on each of the trimmers

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Christopher,

We have both Ivie's in house yet the MMP-10 is set to the IE-30A. Yes, you could calibrate the unit yourself. Remove the four screws on the back of the unit to find the trim pots for adjustments. Since your in L.A. and we are in San Luis Obispo, a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive north, if you ever get the chance you are more than welcome to come see our facility. San Luis is beautiful country.

Manny,

20dB is an awful lot. If you would be as so kind to tell me who was this unit purchased through? And what serial number is on the unit? I need to look into this and would appreciate the information. Please either e-mail or call me with this information.

Clint

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-30-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a follow-up.

When using the Ultra-Stereo Labs MMP-10 microphone/multiplexer with the Ivie IE-30 real-time analyzer, the results can be truly amazing.

How amazing?

A Dolby CP-45 with its minimal appointment of EQ bands "sounds like digital," or so my brother kept saying. He's the manager at that site.

The fader can finally stay at the sacred "7" mark and movies have great presence without being too loud.

I always listen to Reel-5 of "A Bug's Life" to evaluate the EQ. This reel contains lots of loud passages (including thunder and rain) with dialogue. If my levels need tweaking, these scenes will let me know. A number of high-frequency sounds (e.g. the shriek of Princess Attah's baby sister and a few scenes involving ant crowds) will reveal if the rolloff is working out. And the "fireworks" at the end offer a decent demo vis-à-vis the performance of the low-frequencies. Even the Randy Newman song ("The Time of Your Life") is useful in the subjective evaluation since his is arguably the only "normal" male voice on the reel.

Lately, I've taken to using "The Bourne Identity" as another test film. At least, until the print goes away. I will post more on the specifics of the EQ at a later time. It takes a lot of patience to get a good result with the CP-45 but it is possible. I have said "goodbye" to the the "screechy" sound that seemed to haunt the budget model CP-45 and even the Noise-Reduction is working fine now.

Movies that have played in this auditorium include: xXx and Swimfan. This is the theatre where I heard applause after the 20th Century-Fox fanfare. Until that time, such a thing was unheard-of around these parts.

A few days ago, I took the time to watch all of xXx and I had a blast. Between the new (and some used) Isco lenses and the reworking of the sound systems, I am finally watching movies in these theatres again.

Sorry there are no pics of the nifty Rubbermaid toolbag just yet. My darling mother borrowed my digital camera for her Australian adventure!

~Manny.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: