Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Documentation CA-21 Christie/Pennywise Automation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need Documentation CA-21 Christie/Pennywise Automation
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-19-2002 07:43 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tech needs documentation for the terminal connections across the back of the Pennywise CA-21 (Wall Mount) Automation. We have the configuration manual, but it only shows inputs and relay allocations, nothing on the terminals.

Also, he would like a diagram of the terminal strip. Primarily, he needs to know where to reconnect some loose wires from the cue detector/failsafe.

Please email whatever you have that might be of help.

~Manny (The New York Times Bestseller!)

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2002 04:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Download the CA21 manual and check the last few pages. I don't know if that is specifically the same connections on the wallmount version, but I'll bet it is.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-20-2002 08:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad.

I will check it out and report back whether they are indeed the same.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-20-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay here is the latest: That part of the documentation is not what we need.

Inside the actual CA-21 there is a long row of screw connectors across the back of the motherboard marked RY-1 thru RY-40 (these seem to be relays) and then I-1 thru I-24 (I'm guessing these would be inputs).

We need to know what goes where. We know enough to know that these are connected wrong, but we don't know what would be right.

In particular, we are trying to connect a Component Engineering FM35 Cue Detector/Failsafe to the Christie/Pennywise CA-21 Automation.

Brad (or anyone who knows)...Is the CA-21 a "two piece" automation? We have the actual CA-21 automation, but all indications are that there should be a second part with relays and terminal connections. Alas, we don't have that second part; the CA-21 is wired up so that it triggers the relays in the old automation (in the ORC console).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in the manuals section on the second download under "automations". That is the interface board.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-21-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the interface board. My devices are all wired directly to the CA-21 motherboard.

Here is a picture of what I am trying to connect to:

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-21-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

I found the original manual that came with these and so now I know what the relays and inputs are for. I have tidied up the wires somewhat and this led to the elimination of a lot of them because they weren't actually being used. Everything seems to be in order now and the cue detector -- which was part of the original problem -- is working just fine now.

New problem:

The first run after turning the power on is aborted after about 8-10sec. The display reports a "lamp failure" (LFL) but we are not using that feature and nothing is connected to that input. All subsequent runs are uninterrupted.

How could turning the power set up the conditions for this problem? Any ideas?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2002 04:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to put a jumper wire between the terminals where the xenon photocell would normally be connected to. Otherwise it thinks the xenon never lit. If memory serves, it is #61 and 62 on the "Bevan board", but yours is obviously different.

I think that your eproms are set so that if the LFL kicks in and you restart it anyway that it overrides it. Pennywise is great about making custom eproms for people and that's probably what someone requested at some point.

Please photocopy that manual and send it in to us for others.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-30-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

I noticed that the Setup/Configuration manual for the Console Mount version is not in the manuals section. What gives? Isn't that your model?

The point of that question: I'm curious as to whether the console mount version looks the same inside? All those little screw connectors, I mean. I have six of them but I'm not working out at that location for a while and a simple "yes" or "no" would satisfy my curiosity about that.

Also, if I were to get the interface board, what connects to it? I see a couple of connection points for two ribbon cables on the backside of the keypad board. Is that how this is done? I guess I'm seeking clarification as to whether the Wall-Mount version is designed to work with the interface board?

By the way...Thanks for the suggestion, but placing a jumper in the Xenon input did not work...I got a LFL every time* after I did that. Your suggestion did, however, inspire me to work around the LFL problem by feeding the FM-35's "Motion" detector into the Xenon input (I-8) on the CA-21 and THAT worked.

~Manny.

*I was tempted to write a very "tongue-in-cheek" lampoon of that suggestion but I don't know what your sense of humor is like and I was afraid it might have backfired.

Anyway...here goes...

quote:
Dear Brad:

I was misguided by your careless suggestion. Instead of a lamp failure on only the first run, I started getting LFL errors every time. I would type more, but my jaws are aching.

~Manny (I can't believe I ate the whole thing).

I don't think there are enough smilies in the world to give that the intended (humorous) tone.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-30-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make a long story short. There is a label with a serial number which will answer.....what eprom is in it....who is the distributor of the model you have...and what manual and accesories you should be using.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com
A Distributor of Pennywise under our trademark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2002 04:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If memory serves, it is #61 and 62 on the "Bevan board", but yours is obviously different."

You DID double check these connections, right? Since yours is so different it may have required a different hookup. However getting a signal of motion from the failsafe vs. having a jumper there should produce the same results, so something sounds screwy there. Anyway, glad you got it running.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-30-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard: The EPROM is a custom one direct from Pennywise in Australia. I did not specify anything for LFL so I can only assume that they left it the way it was in the original configuration.

IIRC the gentleman from Pennywise told me that they are in the habit of keeping the Xenon "warm" (lower current) between shows...I assumed he was talking about Australia (anyone verify/deny this?)...maybe that's why it only looks for a Xenon input the first time (...and maybe not). I may have gotten that all wrong (this was in 1998) but anyway, it's solved now.

As for which interface board...I will clarify: there ain't no interface!

Here's what we discovered. The relays in the old ORC automation are being driven by the CA-21. It's a mess of teensy-weensy little wires soldered here, there and everywhere.

This will all be changed out as soon as I am done with current projects.

Thanks again for the help.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-30-2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interface board is not neccessary but makes life easier. We supply an auxilary 12 or 24VDC ( depending on type of Pennywise set up you have bought....hence the request for the serial # ) to power the sensor and auxilary board since in some runs of Pennywise the internal power set-up is near capacity. In parts of Asia it is popular to let the lamps "simmer" at low current especially if you are doing a changeover set up.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-21-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1542 days since the last post.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a drawing of the front of the CA21 in the manual with a button that says "FOYER" and its also programmed in a sequence in the drawing, but it doesn't say anywhere in the manual what that button's for.

Anyone?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: