Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica CNR platters

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica CNR platters
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

Finally I'm now working in a new 16-plex as projectionist. The opening is planned on october, 4th. We are now experiencing the new equipment.
I found the new Victoria 5 with curved gate and electronic controls very good, the image is stable and focused.

I found the CNR platter a toy... I have worked with Kinoton platter and they are a different piece of equipment.

Are other platters like CNRs??? The STOP device is just a waste of time, breaking down a print takes a looooot of time and there is more chanches to make damages.

What is supposed to be the correct way to breaking down a print?

With a Kinoton if I miss the splice I can rewind in a moment, with the CNR I have to make it manually or
- Lock the motor mechanism
- Revert the desk rotation

It is not a fast way. I have a friend that has 14 CNR and 1 kinoton just to break down the prints...

Any suggestions about the CNR?

I've read an old post that says that to timing the platter I should not touch the pay-out arm. I had cinemeccanica's guy today setting up all the ARMS on the platters... Now I have half platters rotating in the idle position...

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking down films...

Im affraid you will have to get use to using a cloth in one hand and one hand on the make up table control, as soon as you see the slice coming up, slow the bench down and grab the spining plate as the brake pads you get dont wonk very well to say the least!
This takes some getting use to, and good marking of the reel joins is essential.
After practice it gets easy, and you can break down one reel in about 3 to 4 mins. But it does take alot of care and practice in contoling the fast spinning plate and the speed of the make up bench at the same time.

I'd get the engineers back to set your speeds of your plates as they should be responsible for the instalationa and alignment I would think.

Darren

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-27-2002 04:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren, is the motor on the CNR completely disengaged during breakdown and the platter is free spinning? I've never worked with a CNR.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2002 03:48 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

YES! The platters are free of spin. Can you imagine what will happen when you slow the make up table and you have a 2 hours+ film on the plater?????
I can't believe that Cinemeccanica makes some horrible stuff... IMHO of course.

Antonio

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to diss-engage the motor first and then comence breakdown. Also you have to plug the appropriate plate motor into the table when making up a film, but never re-plug the motor into the platter while it is on as you can get a mighty spark if the plug is slightly miss-aligned ,and then your platter goes dead! Did this once and wound the rest of the show running on the other plates by hand! Bummer!
But once set up they run fine even with 70mm.

Darren

Neil McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Neil McGovern   Author's Homepage   Email Neil McGovern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we use a CNR 3-35.

We normally make up/take down the film on to 6000's before plating it on.

When making down, make sure you use a brake (from all goor suppliers <grin> )

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah making up films onto 6000 spools is good as they go on the plate tighter so y ou can move them striaght away.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE my Strongs with no disk "brake" provisions. As Darren says, you will get used to braking the disk with a rag in your hand. Once you have gotten used to this your breakdown speed will increase quite a bit.

As far as proper backtension on the shipping spool, if you run the MUT fast enough the support vanes on the bottom of the disk will provide a good backtension on the spool.

On the other hand, I DO NOT like the zero brake/backtension thing when anyone other than myself are operating the machines for build/break!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: