Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brenkert Oil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Brenkert Oil
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,
What type oil do I feed my Brenkert BX80?
Thats all.
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 03:42 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, you could probably run the beast on salad oil, but what they like is a nice NON-DETERGENT light oil. The BX80 uses a pump that just gets the oil up to the top of the machine. From there, it's splishy splashy, drippity droppity all over those beautiful gears. A Heave oil doesn't get into the bearings as well as a light one. Simplex oil will work just fine. I ran mine for a couple of years on sewing machine oil with no bad effects. Detergent oil won't hurt the mechanism, but it will deteriorate that big rubber gasket that holds the mess inside where you want it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-09-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, feed it ISO Spindle oil.

You can get that stuff form Standard Oil, it costs about 35 bucks for 5 gallons. It is IS0 10 High Speed Spindle Oil, and is a direct substitute from the orginal Brenkert Oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just give it a pint of really good beer!! Actually, Spindle oil is available from any industrial supply place or machinery supply place in gallons for about 6 bucks. Also you can use refrigerant oil in Brenkerts. Many around the midwest used that stuff.
Mark @ CLACO

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-09-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam...There comes a time in every man's life when he has to feed his projector a "Dry Martini". The IMAX'guy's won't admit it, they want you to think they feed their machines but when the lights are low and they think no one is watching they feed them a cool Beefeater Gibson.

Your projector will thank you, and when it wakes up it will give you a "Perfect Show". Hic!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I got beer and salad dressing. Maybe I can use a steak and baked potatoe for film cleaner
Thanks for the info guys!

I never had a martini?? Is it any good? Whats it taste like?

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-09-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I must ask: What is "spindle oil" really made for? Spindles? Duh...but what sort requires a unique oil?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-09-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, you are in for a treat. Make sure you tell the bartender to make it a Dry Perfect Beefeater Gibson. Sit back relax, it's about as close as you can get to "Heaven on Earth". It is a delightful, refreshing, delicious drink. I have at least one and sometimes many more - every week day.More on weekends...

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 10:33 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward H. Wolk Company carries Brenkert Oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on now Kenny,
Even you know its not REAL Brenkert oil.... Just some other substitute with the name Brenkert on it. There hasn't been REAL Brenkert oil for many, many, many decades now......You know...once a brand leaves its original company or factory, it is no longer a real factory product. Heck, it was RCA oil next AFTER it was Brenkert, but RCA was too cheap to drop the Brenkert name and re-print all those one gallon cans they inherited when they bought the Brenkert Co. So you see now that any other Brenkert oil is not real Brenkert oil. Its just got the name Brenkert on it. It just goes to show...Don't always believe that whats in the can is original.......You have to taste it to be sure. REAL Brenkert oil is going to be well aged and will have a most unusual taste as compared to a can of just named Brenkert oil. There is a huge distinct difference!! But it definately is not real Brenkert oil. Isn't all of this a load of
Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a really, really old can of genuine Brenkert oil squirreled away here at home.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-09-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, feed your Brenkert this stuff.

The label attached to the bucket should answer Steve's question, too.

By the way, I did some research a long time ago to find out what kind of oil Brenkert used. By specification, the oil I am suggesting meets or exceeds the orginal Brenkert oil specifications.

The orginal oil was made by Mobil or Shell (I can't recall which without searching the FT Threads) which crosses to AMOCO Spindle Oil "A". The above picture is a suggested replacement for that oil.

I think Amoco, Standard Oil, and Chevron are all in bed with each other, so it probably comes out of the same storage tank.

Ken said:

quote:
"Edward H. Wolk Company carries Brenkert Oil."

Jeeze, I'll bet that stuff is heavy....probably about 440 lbs. per barrel, not counting the weight of the barrel itself.... That's more than I can carry.

Ken, at least Wolk's oil was clean.

MTS's oil was sometimes contaminated with something that looked like cigar or cigarette ashes. (that probably happened when they looked in the barrel to see if it was time to add water so they could skim more oil out of the bottom of the barrel.)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what you're saying is that the answser to "What kind of spindle?" is "What kind you got?"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 07:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for veering away from topic, but if all else fails you could always try this in your Brenkert...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2002 09:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that cooking oil has got to be pretty low octane stuff. Those cars probably struggled to run. Or else you guys over there are cooking in something we don't use over here.....

Ken...That can of Brenkert oil you have is really no longer Brenkert oil. It has gone stale over the years(especially if it has been opened) so it is no longer what it was. Since fine oil ages when it just sits around it never keeps it original qualities hence, its not real anymore. Only the can is real, just like all the cans that said Brenkert that RCA was stuck with. Geez, it was total confusion at RCA for a long time when the techs didn't know they could use Brenkert oil in the RCA projectors. That can you have is likely one of those not-re-labeled RCA bought cans. If you are absolutely sure it is real Brenkert oil then please prove it.......thats really why you are similing in your picture isn't it??

Steve, You used to make out the checks for the spindle oil when you worked for me.........
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: