Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mono sr?

Author Topic: Mono sr?
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 02:50 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rules of Attraction head leaders say SR on them.
I Screened it in SR and it was hard to hear dialogue at some times.
There are two sound logos in the credits.
One says Dolby in select theatres.
The other says MONO SR.
I looked at the soundtrack at various spots in the print after screening, and the soundtrack indeed look like mono.

So what is MONO SR?
Is it a mono track that is playable in SR?
Or is it a mono track that should be played in mono?
If it is a mono track that should be played in mono, then what is the SR for?
What format should I play this in?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-11-2002 03:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mono SR is for real: Woody Allen does it all the time.

The print should play fine in format 05 if it is truly SR encoded.

I also remember a few prints in the 80s ('Year Of Living Dangerously' comes to mind) that were Dolby A encoded mono tracks...

-Aaron

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 03:33 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have any digital tracks?

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no digital

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-11-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember SR is the noise reduction, not the channel configuration. On some processors (for instance, Dolby CP500 or Sony DFP-D3000) you can custom-build a format to be mono with SR-type noise reduction. Theoretically, playing a dual mono track with the standard cinema SR format should give you nearly the same results, since the matrix puts the two channels mainly in the center if they are identical. Maybe your optical a-chain needs realignment. This could involve more than just checking the Dolby level, but also checking for phase difference. If the light slit is not exactly 90 degrees to the sound tracks, it will result in a phase difference between the two channels.
Michael

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2002 08:31 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Woody alen films are all mono, Small Time Crooks had a SRD track but only Center is used on the digital, and the SR track is just plain Mono audio on the SVA track, with SR noise reduction.

Darren

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren said: >Theoretically, playing a dual mono track with the standard cinema SR format should give you nearly the same results, since the matrix puts the two channels mainly in the center if they are identical.<

This is true but it also leaves the L & R "live" and reproducing any dirt and scratch noise that is NOT identical, and on older prints, that can amount to quite a bit of hash. If I were playing on of these SR/mono prints, I would simply kill all but the Center channel amps. Matrix is good, but it isn't descrete; there will always be crap coming out of the other channels if they are left live -- this is just the limitation of the system. Why put up with the result of the matrix limitation (noise out of all the other channels)?

On the older generation CPs there is no way to easily configure the noise reduction to engage when playing the Mono format just as there is no way to easily kill the Academy curve. And I firmly believe that late vintage mono pictures, say, from the late 60s on, had clean enough tracks and were so much more advanced in frequency response that lopping off the high end was a terrible practice. Dolby should have a format to kill that damn rolloff, especially for us folks who play rep pictures. Before we got a CP50, we played mono tracks with the mono solar cell going directly into a Norelco ProLine mic preamp (flat response out to 18kHz), no rolloff, no Academy Curve -- pictures sounded great.

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
format 02 is mono full range with nr on the cp200
on the 100 and 50 select mono and nr on

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, we've only got older CP50 and CP55 without any 02. Any way to get mono full range without the Academy curve with these units?

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the CP50 has the mechanical pushbuttons just select Mono and NR on

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that Mono SR is a format that the way kewel CP-650 is capable of..........
Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, Darren

That nutcase Woody Allen does it all the time. -Remember his musical a few years ago "Everyone says I love You". I received the soundtrack on cd some two weeks ahead of the premiere, -listened to it several times a day - good tunes, beautifull mix, - i was HIGH !
Then came the film - SRmono - everything out of one hole - the most lame movie soundtrack ever and a big turndown !!

Almost as disappointing as "Far and Away", where clever marketing people were around to help mixing that GIANT MEGAHIT 70mm TRAILER - ("now, -this is our movie"). -Then the film....... and the directors defense in interviews "súrround sound just confuses the audience"

Yak !

Per

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About Format 02... does it use both channels of NR and then sum the result, or sum the result and just send it through one NR module? (Or is it different between the different processors?)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it sums after the NR

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: