Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm two track mag with matrix and Dolby A

Author Topic: 16mm two track mag with matrix and Dolby A
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 07:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to run some 16mm prints with sep-mag tracks. Most are mono or two track stereo, but one is four channel matrixed with Dolby A, like 35mm optical.

Have available a MPU-1 unit with two spare channels, and a CP65, but I don't think the '65 can put the mag/aux input through the decoder, is this correct? I know that the non sync input can go through the decoder, but I don't know if there is any way to put it through the Cat. 222. Any ideas, apart from hireing in extra gear, just for one film.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 07:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use any comsumer ProLogic decoder unit to derive the matrixed 4 channels.

Take the 2 channel output from the MPU-1 mag preamp into the consumer unit and then its four channel out back into the processor. It will be easy and consumer cheap.

Frank

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 08:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Use any comsumer ProLogic decoder unit to derive the matrixed 4 channels.
Take the 2 channel output from the MPU-1 mag preamp into the consumer unit and then its four channel out back into the processor. It will be easy and consumer cheap.

But what about the Dolby A? A conuumer ProLogic unit wouldn't handle that. I need to get the signals through the noise reduction, after the pre-amps, and before the matrix decoder. This is a private show for the film maker to show off his work to possible future clients, so it's got to be done right. The MPU-1/CP65 combination has all the necessary modules to do the job, but I can't see how to set it up to do this. The only other way I can see would be to hire in a couple of old 364s to do the noise reduction, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 11:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unplug the optical preamp card and then connect the MPU to the terminals onthe back of the CP65 marked Preamp output
Then select 04 for the A type matrix print

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why Gordon is the Film God.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No that is how Print masters can be handled very effortessly

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a CP-50 whose preamp card I modified so I could feed external inputs before the changeover switching FET's so I had two pairs of inputs for feeding dubbers or other sources or I could switch it to normal optical. I also added a switch to the meter/filter card to kill the Academy filter even if NR was off.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-15-2002 04:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Steve, switching out the Academy filter can be easily done? I never really looked into how easy or difficult this would be myself, but now you have my interest; does the Dolby schmatic for the meter card have the filter circuit marked as such? I an not sure I am circuitry literate enough to be able to read a schematic and identify the filter circuit. If it isn't so marked, perhaps I can ask you to be good enough to describe what points have to be jumped or opened to switch the thing in and out. Thanks

Frank

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: