Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Making movie theatre images "camcorder-proof" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Making movie theatre images "camcorder-proof"
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was already a thread here on this from the past few days, but I can't seem to locate it. Anyway, I chose this forum because I wish to discuss technical details:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-961484.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

The above link points to a story about "modifying the timing and modulation of the light" to degrade the image that a camcorder would capture if someone tried to videotape a movie from a theatre's screen.

It seems that with the current 35mm film technology, there would already be some serious degradation. A camcorder is capturing interlaced video at 60 fields per second (30 frames per second). A movie theatre's screen (assuming a standard 2-blade shutter) displays 24 frames per second in the form of 48 light-dark cycles with each frame being flashed to the screen twice. The screen is lit for 1/96 of a second, then is dark for 1/96 second, repeating 48 times per second. A device capturing at 60 fields per second should capture a significant number of fields as darkness (or parts of fields as darkness) -- half the time in fact. It seems that a videotape from a theatre screen would exhibit very noticeable flicker due to the frame rate difference and the "lit only half the time" nature of the theatre screen.

I cannot imagine being able to modify the shutter mechanism for a projector to made camcorder recording any worse without hurting the efficiency of the shutter or creating an irregular refresh situation.

Ideas? Has anyone looked at a videotape of a theatre screen? I'd like to watch a slow-motion replay of such a tape to see if areas of black occur in many fields, or if many fields are black. If the VCR in "pause" shows two fields at a time, it may not be as noticeable, but degradation should occur. Has anyone tried this?

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that technology specifically aimed at digital cinema, rather than film?

quote:
Herndon, Va.-based Cinea, the company Schumann co-founded after Divx folded in 1999, is close to unveiling a beta for its Cosmos digital cinema security system that will help movie distributors keep track of how their products are used while protecting them from piracy.

I am curious about the videotaping of film images though. I've never seen a bootleg tape made that way, so I have no idea how good or bad they are. I have seen a brief news clip on TV that was videotaped inside a theater with a film projected on the screen as the background, and it seemed to have sync issues.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 04:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's for digital cinema only. This sounds like it's designed to deal with the issue of people being able to point a camcorder at a screen showing being projected from DLP and get a flicker-free image. But I find this part to be a lot more interesting:

According to the article, this company just got a $2 million grant from NIST to develop this technology.

That's right folks! One of the people behind the failed Divx DVD format is now spending millions of your tax dollars to develop copy protection mechanisms for digial cinema, which people are already speculating about how to get around. Why is the government spending so much money on something like this, which will probably turn out to be a complete waste? I can think of a lot better uses of that money.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To see what a standard camcorder would record off of a 35mm movie screen, just try to blink your eyes as fast as you can, repeatedly. Slightly more flicker than that.

There are camcorders with adjustable frame rates (possibly some high-end broadcast quality ones) which will record a more stable image, but you will get a "pulse" effect like someone is messing with the brightness control on your TV. About the same rate as the flicker, but instead of going completely dark, the screen would just get dim instead. A good example of this is if you've seen the TV show, "Trigger Happy TV" where they do hidden-camera stunts in movie theaters sometimes.

I also assumed they meant some sort of protection for digital cinema, not film. Film has it's own "copy protection" already, which is another reason why it is better than digital.

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bootlegging just got easier.

Bootlegger's paradise

This camera was released to the market yesterday. It records in MiniDV "digital" format and has adjustable capture settings...one of them being 24P which is an exact match to 35mm film's framerate. With this camera, all a bootlegger has to do is point it at the screen and viola, perfect flicker free copy.

What's that I'm smelling? There is a weird odor in here. Mr. V?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But that will result in a 24P tape which would presumably need converting for distribution, not that that would be insurmountable.

With all the talk in the press about bootlegs being swapped online I downloaded a couple of files to see what was what. One turned out to be from a screener tape (tapes given to critics who can't manage to catch a proper screening)...now there's a hole that ought to be plugged.

The other was a bonafide bootleg...shot off a theatre screen with horrible AGC effects on the sound and oddly enough overlaid with Japanese or Chinese or whatever subtitles (done by the bootlegger). Picture quality was poor but there was no major flicker problem. This didn't really seem to be an issue and I doubt they did anything special (anyone who doesn't know to turn off the AGC isn't very technically oriented). If the camera had a shutter or acted electronically like it did then there would be a problem with it interacting with the projector shutter but instead I think the CCD just accumulates the image as the light falls on it and reads it out at the TV scan rate just like a digital framestore where you can update the memory with new data as it comes in while cranking it out at a completely different rate.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 07:54 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My recent experience with my own Canon UC1000 8mm Video camera showed absolutely NO FLICKER when pointed at a 35mm screen both in my home pre view cinema and at the outdoor.
In the preview case I was capturing a segment of old newsreel for a friend who wanted to have a video tape of her brother riding a motor cycle to victory in a race in Sydney in the 1970's.
I just set the camera up on a tripod slightly in front of the projector (which is in the audience area) zoomed it up to capture the full screen area I wanted and set it going.
The only problem I had was that the Canon does not have a sound input jack so I could not exclude the chatter of the the Raycophone J3 as it ran the news clip. I just turned up the sound levels a bit above normal and it became just a quiet murmur.
Copied it then to VHS and handed it to her and she was delighted and there was no indication that it was anything other than a VIDEO.
The second time I wanted some promo shots of the outdoor on video so I again used the Canon and again on a tripod (and the Canon has a rather neat little remote unit which works many feet away) and captured assorted shots around the cinema.
Such as patrons having their meals and settling back into the deckies
a few of clips of screen ads (slides), then trailers and finally some quite long segments of the main feature at the time which was Titanic.
Apart from the conflict with aspect ratio of video to scope again there was no indication that it was anything other than video.
I had wondered if there would be flicker as I had previously seen this with 8mm film shots I took years ago of a drive-in projector operating and the strobe beat between the camera shutter and the projector shutter was horrible.
I think these new video cameras are very smart devices and the shutter speeds are extremely high and completely avoid the strobing that otherwise occurs.
The little Canon (a few years old now) can produce quite good images in candlelit situations and apart from the slight grainy effect due to the very low light levels the images are good enough for TV use.
Would have killed to have this sort of resolution on 8mm cameras years back.
So I am not surprised that reasonable pirate images can be captured with a video camera taken into a cinema. They are small, compact, have extremely sensitive mics on them and if held steady and IF the user avoids the "heads" would produce good results. But of course a MONO only soundtrack which would immediately be a give-away that it was a pirate recording.
The only down side would be audience noises during quiet soundtrack segments otherwise the higher levels of sound in most cinemas would give very good sound to the pirate video.
The Canon is completely automatic and I just let it have its own way doing things and it works well.
It does have a manual over ride where you can drive the shutter to settings you want but I have found that generally I got the best results letting the camera do its own thing.
So there you are, it can be done, and quite easily at that.
Lindsay

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-11-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, FYI stuff here.

The AG-DVX100 camera that was released yesterday shoots at 24P, but exports via NTSC at 60i so it is directly playable (and copyable) on any television in the US.

The reason your foreign dubbed bootleg did not appear to flicker is because the PAL video format that is used overseas runs at 25 frames per second. That's close enough.

Lindsay,

I'm betting your camera is going into low light mode (aka: gain up) and as such is slowing the shutter to the point of hiding the shutter. Many of the higher end cameras have adjustments that can be made to do this, but you do lose full motion when shooting in those low light conditions.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-12-2002 12:49 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But that will result in a 24P tape which would presumably need converting for distribution, not that that would be insurmountable.

Since the camera is miniDv, and most illegal movie distribution takes place on the net, framerate is irrelivent. The camera directly sends the digital data back to the computer (via firewire) in 24fps. Most people are going to be watching these movies on their computer (sad but true) which is capable of displaying exactly 24fps video.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The camera directly sends the digital data back to the computer (via firewire) in 24fps."

No it doesn't Mike. Like I said in the last post, this camera exports at 60i. Yes it exports via firewire, but not at 24fps. The framerate conversion is done inside the camera before it records onto the tape. For consumers, this camera represents the first "affordable" 24P camera on the market. As such there are even special programs being written to convert that 60i back down to a pure 24P. The camera even has two special settings just for this, depending on whether you want to get that 24FPS look and stay in the video domain, or whether you want to eventually export to film.

This camera is not the real problem though. The REAL problem is caused by the Academy for sending out all of those tapes. If someone wants to have a vote in the Academy, then they should get off of their butts and attend special screenings. No videos should be permitted. I'm amazed the filmmakers even want the Academy members to see their films on video. I sure wouldn't!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-12-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD screener discs for film critics and press people are the top way how pirated DVDs get made. A friend of mine here in town bought a bunch of these things (titles like "Spiderman," "Episode II" and "Ice Age" when they were still in theatrical release). I think most of these discs are getting duped off by the millions in China and other far east Asian countries.

As for the Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera, its 24P mode can be output in native 24P form for Internet or other types of multimedia use (along with 30P output). The camera has an internal 3:2 pulldown converter to turn the 24P content into 60i as well. I'd love to have one of those cameras, but the $3500 price tag is a little steep. I'm going to have to save up for a while and get a lot more freelance graphics jobs done.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-12-2002 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bad, Brad. I jumped the gun before I read your post.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, do you think the MPAA or any of its members (like Disney and Universal) will try to slap an injunction on the manufacturer -- preventing them from selling these "pirating devices" like they did against Sony and Mitshushita from making VCRs, which, they claimed, would be used to infringe on their copyrighted works? Even the judge couldn't keep a straight face when they read that claim in court.

Just for laughs, some reporter should ask Jack Valenti what his position is on video cameras that can record at 24p.

Frank

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-12-2002 01:21 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a discussion a few years ago about putting infrared sources behind theatre screens in order to interfere with camcorders? (Most camcorders are sensitive to IR). But I suppose this technique would only work until the pirates figure it out and put IR filters on their cameras...

Anime fans know this problem all too well--camcorder pirating is BIG business in Hong Kong (Cantonese and English subtitles), Taiwan, and China (Mandarin and sometimes English subtitles). Many many VCDs and on-line downloads available for $1-5 US in these areas and in the various US Chinatowns.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-12-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, if you read up on that camera, it does not actually output 24P, but there are programs being written right now that can extract the original 24P out of the converted 30P with the 3:2 pulldown. It's not possible straight out of the camera though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: