Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need assistance with SDDS problem...

Author Topic: Need assistance with SDDS problem...
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-14-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony DFP-D2000 that has been out of the shop for about 3 months, and it now has another problem:

It will not bypass the surround channels when turned on in normal run mode and no digital being read. It does bypass them if the BYPASS button is pressed or the unit is turned off. L/C/R/Sub do pass without any problems.

Calling Sony on Friday was a waste of time (see my reply in a post below for more on that)

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank You.

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-14-2002 03:49 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DFP-D2000, is that the MiniDV camera ?
The external channels are routed through the unit by relays which open when the decoder plays SDDS. You need to put down that six pack, swing the front door of the DFP open and check those relays.
Michael

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2002 01:03 PM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, are you using the sony as a stand alone processor, or just as a decoder then sent out to a processor?
Shaun

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-14-2002 01:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun, it is standalone for SDDS, with a Dolby CP55 ahead of it- the CP55 signals pass thru the SDDS unit.

-Aaron

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-14-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be a little more specific, the board you will need to check is the APR 34. Do you have access to another unit? If so, try swapping the boards. If it proves to be faulty, you could contact Sony with the specific request for a swapout board. Even if you reach nobody you can actually talk to about your problem, they should be able to look it up in some spare part list.
On second thought, since it works in hard bypass maybe the relays are OK and there is a software hang-up. Which firmware version does your processor have? There is a display on the inside of the door. You can check the firmware version there. You may have to use the function and arrow keys to navigate the menu. I can`t tell you from memory where you find the firmware info, but as an experienced technician you will have no problem with that.
Michael

edited 10/17
Hello Mr Sisemore,
any news about your problem? I hope my suggestions, if casual in tone, still helped you a little bit. Keep us informed!
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: