Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Platter Rattle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Platter Rattle
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-14-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that Strong platters seem to rattle every time I have used them up until I got a couple of brand new units. The new ones did not rattle... until now, and they are only a few months old. It is always the take up deck and always at the start of the movie... when not much film is weighted down on the deck.

It's not a huge gigantic deal, but does anyone know what causes this and if it can be prevented? Is it the ring rattling against the surface of the deck? Is it something else? Why didn't my brand new platters rattle for the first couple of months?

|  IP: Logged

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Rattling in those platters is completly normal. I've been told it is just the rivets vibrating, like I guess a little gap somewhere around them allowing a little vibration, it should quiet down with a couple minutes of film taken up.

Shaun

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-14-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, rattling is a normal way of life for those things. In addition to what Shaun said, lot of the rattles come from that funky motor support bracket and motor release bracket.

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem with some of our as well. I drilled out the rivets and put in screws with locking nuts.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this varies drastically from tree to tree. It doesn't seem to matter which particular deck is taking up, but as an example #5 only makes a minor amount of noise while #6 is so loud customers complain. I am *guessing* this is caused by the center ring rattling on the deck of the platter, but changing center rings does not alter the loudness of the problem.

The only thing I have found that works is using the larger 19" center rings. I do have another idea, but I won't post it until I try it out.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2002 10:33 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be way off here but I think it is the rubber drive belt slipping against the deck when it first starts to take-up that is why using the 19" ring does not produce this (It doesnt have to spin as fast at first)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I'm at a theater with Strong platters and I tried out my theory. It IS the center ring. I'll post a pic of the fix later (maybe even tonight).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2002 08:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For all of those who say duct tape fixes everything, you are right.

Now you have to look closely, but I have placed black Permacel gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape) on the bottom edge of this Strong center ring. It is just thick enough to prevent the ring from clanging around on the deck until enough film gets on the ring such that the film itself becomes the isolation pad.

Cheap and dirty? Sure. Does it work? Yep.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gaffer tape is so much better than duct tape for most things people use the latter for that I'm surprised that it's not sold more widely. Granted it's expensive but people don't know what they're missing. I'd bet it would do a better job of sealing ductwork without quickly drying out, too.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-16-2002 09:13 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even our christie platters rattle, and its been doing it since it was brand new.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 12:19 PM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Thats a good idea, just two thinks that im curious about, and I'm not saying your wrong, as I haven't tried that. But wouldn't say 10 wraps of milar leader that tightly around the ring plus the weight of the "yo-yo" putting tention on the ring be enough to stop the ring from anykind of movement causing these vibrations? I'm referring to normal running here. And as far as show breakdown is concerned, wold this not cause a off balance of the print, i know it can't be any worse than strongs perfectly balanced center ring . Or maybe I missed a 2nd peice you have placed to counter act this.
Just my 2 cents, maybe different platters have there different rattles, as I recall the ones I work with dont sound like a center ring rattling, the other mind boggling part is, the theatres have been open for many years and each deck doesnt do this every run, just when it wants to.

Shaun

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 12:21 PM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry bout the typo's, i just woke up........

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i noticed those same rattles with strong platters, also. what i think is causing the rattle is the weight if the film, if u press slightly down on the platter taking up, the rattle will stop. you are applying a little extra weight on the platter and the rattle goes away. the ring in my experience has no effect on this rattle sound. i've found out if u wait until the policy goes threw the rattles goes away.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, you need to change out the platter drive wheel on your motors if you are hearing a loud rumbling noise with an AW3.

Shaun, no 10 wraps is far from enough. Some of the platters don't make much noise at startup, others are loud enough to get customer complaints from inside the auditorium, hence my reason to find some kind of a solution. There are 6 pieces of tape evenly spaced out on the ring. There is no balance issue.

William, film itself sitting on a platter cannot cause a metallic rattling sound. It is the center ring banging on the deck of the platter, as in metal against metal. The reason the noise goes away after 10 minutes is because there is enough film on the deck to act as a cushioner.

Ron Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Ron Fleming   Email Ron Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your correct the rattling does go away after enough film has been taken up. But man is it annoying. Maybe the holes that the ring set in after so many runs wear to a larger size, hince the rattling of the ring.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: