Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cp100

Author Topic: Cp100
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a Dolby CP100 worth having?
What is one worth used?
Are the things field repairable or can you send in the cards for repair and all that jazz?
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP100 is a good unit. As long as it was not abused. Some CP100's
I've seen started out in the first run houses and work their way down the food chain into houses just to get Dolby Stereo. One question is
how many miles (theatres) are on that unit? Is it cheap or is someone
just trying to unload it? Because the CP100 uses cat.22 and cat.64
cards that can be found very easy. But some of the rest of the cards
are alittle harder to find. Like the meter and format cards. We took a CP100 out of service at this one theatre, because it just died to many times. A CP50 is a easier Dolby Unit to find cards and fix.

Good Luck

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP100 uses the same type chassis as Dolby's original 16-track studio A-type units. We had some of those in control rooms at Channel 9 and they were a pain in the butt because the edge connectors are flimsey and cause all manner of intermittent problems. However the CP100 is a flexible unit you can do a lot of things with it. Hoyts senior tech in Melbourne (DJ) still thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are probably the most versitile since it almost all hand wired so with a soldering iron it is totally configurable
Edge strips can be problematic
Also which surround adapter is with it (the cp100 didn't have optical surround internally)
SA2-3 are olderQS technology but the SA4 uses the cat 150 serries cards and best is a SA5

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surround adapters seem to be difficult to come by, I've been looking for a SA4, Tried various people/places here in the uk, but no luck, asked Dion Hanson, he didn't know of any looking for a new home, and was recently looking for one himself. Posted to the wanted forum here, had a couple of replies with possible leads, but neither could find one. A CP100 without a SA is probably best avoided.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a great unit and a classic! It was the first complete Dolby Cinema Processor ever sold on the market. The 100 also had Dolby's one and only rock solid power supply. The supplies rarely fail. There are problems with the fader cards to be aware of though as there are certain tantalum capacitors in the fader line that short out. When this happens it locks up the fader control, ususally leaving you with no sound at all. What ever you buy be sure to get one of the SA adaptors with it. The 100 appeared before surround sound was finalized. I have also built the cat 150 into a few 100's in past years but this eliminates some of the space you need for running 70mm. If the later does not matter then the inboard card is a good thing.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also modified them for DTS and SRD playback with split surrounds rerouting P and Q to the LE and RE equalizers and the sub to the old surround out

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 12:20 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a lot of CP-100's around now. I have used one for a couple of years now with a SA-4 and MPU's for stereo optical, mag, and perspecta. Have had no problems but have performed normal cleaning and upkeep. I have been able to locate the changover / format remote units but have yet to install them. Cheapest way to get parts is to get another as a spare. I have also seen SA-3's modified by Dolby to SA-4 specs, so look at the back of the unit. It will have a sticker and, I believe added or remarked terminals. It has been a problem finding some format boards like a Cat #83. If the price is right a CP-100 would work just fine. Except for a spare make sure you get the surround adaptor with it. SA-4, SA-5, etc.
Dick

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 09:39 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked and the unit does indeed have the SA4 adapter.
The gentlemen says it works so I guess I will find out.
Next question is finding a reader for it. A used one would be great.
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 10:32 AM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never seen a 100 in person, seen pics at the dolby seminar this january, but thats the closest ive been.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-17-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, let's not forget that 1U box you made to hold a Cat.160 LF card and a Cat.??? split surround card.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2002 06:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this before, but it seems to have got lost somehow on the way.

quote:
There should be a lot of CP-100's around now. I have used one for a couple of years now with a SA-4 and MPU's for stereo optical, mag, and perspecta. Have had no problems but have performed normal cleaning and upkeep. I have been able to locate the changover / format remote units but have yet to install them. Cheapest way to get parts is to get another as a spare. I have also seen SA-3's modified by Dolby to SA-4 specs, so look at the back of the unit. It will have a sticker and, I believe added or remarked terminals. It has been a problem finding some format boards like a Cat #83. If the price is right a CP-100 would work just fine. Except for a spare make sure you get the surround adaptor with it. SA-4, SA-5, etc.

Dick, you don't have any idea where I might find one, or two, SA4s do you?

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2002 02:55 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
I will ask around and see if anyone I know has one. The way I got mine was to buy a complete CP-100 with one included. That is probably the way you will need to go. I needed the 100 for the spare boards and the extra SA-4 to put my Perspecta card in. I keep having visions of dropping either the Perspecta or the Cat 150 card when I change them. Neither of which I want to do. If you see Dion Hanson, could you ask him if he has a diagram for the Fairchild systems switcher.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: