Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Keeping your hand in

Author Topic: Keeping your hand in
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2002 06:59 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was present at the opening of a cinema I've recently installed, on 'stand by' so to speak. The projy was a little rushed as he had features to make up as well as running the show, so I volunteered to mind the machines whilst he worked on the bench, ended up taking the change over during 'Moulin Rouge', it's been quite some time since I've done that, but it was a real buzz to know that I've still got the eye for such things. It's like riding a bike, you never really forget!

There is a platter installed in this booth, but where's the fun in that?!

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-19-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I had a man who had retired more than 30 years prior visit the booth, we chatted for a while and he asked if I would allow him to make a change over and thread a projector. It was a very slow night so I figured why not. He did both flawlessly and several more. At 88 he had some difficulty with the 56 steps to the booth but none in the booth. He sid he had not seen a projector since he retired. I guess you never forget.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's like riding a bike, you never really forget!"

That's what I said when I threaded up a projector for the first time in 17 years. The theater I'm at now runs platters but I would love to strike up a carbon and do a change over again just for the fun of it.--Ray

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-19-2002 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at the Berlin Film Festival every year and they insist on changeover, of course. It is always fun to do that as it has a kind of live feeling to it. Also, in practically every show you have the director or the producer or other important people sitting in the auditorium, so you don`t want to mess up a reel change!
Michael

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah- we're talking nostalgia here. I still have dreams that I'm in a changeover booth and with less than a minute to go to changeover, the incoming projector is not threaded and the carbons have not been checked.

Old habits die hard, don't they?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-19-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John - nostalgia? If you want, I can arrange for you to come to work at the next festival. There are moments there when you age by years in just 1 minute! Still, it`s a lot of fun, because of that live feeling. Last year we played a lot of Vietnamese films. They were all acetate and at least ten years old, so they broke constantly. Once, a leader broke when I was threading the reel about 1 minute before the changeover... The film was 90 minutes and came on 11(!) tiny reels just 10 minutes before the screening was to start. A special treat is when the print has already been in much use, and lots of people have scratched in their own changeover marks on it.
Michael

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never forget, especially my case, not really projecting but electrical. Never again will I leave the probes and meter set for amperage when checking for 220 voltage, its bright and melts half the probe, plus lets not forget the reflexes........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: