Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Largest Screen 35mm/70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Largest Screen 35mm/70mm
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 03:24 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the largest screen you can get with a 35mm setup and still achieve a good quality picture?

Also what is the largest screen you have seen? I assume that that will have been with an IMAX or 70mm setup...

|  IP: Logged

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen #4 at Kinepolis Liege is 80ft wide for Scope 35mm.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 04:56 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on what you call "acceptable" and what the viewing conditions are like in the particular setup. For example, drive-in theatres can produce scope images in excess of 100 foot widths projecting 35mm film, but they accept brightness levels that are typically below what would be considered acceptable for indoor theatres. The grain, weave and jitter on such large drive-in screens are much more pronounced because of the large image size, but patrons are viewing that image from much further away than they would be in an indoor theatre so those aberations are relatively less noticeable; they would be unacceptable if the patrons were sitting the same distance from a drive-in's 100ft screen as they normally sit from an indoor screen.

And yes, I imagine you are right; of current technologies, IMAX would be capable of producing the largest square foot screen area while still maintaining the same quality parameters as 35mm indoor theatres expect to acheive, and then some. But theoretically, 3 panel Cinerama has more film geography than a single IMAX frame and I suppose it could be setup to get a larger image than IMAX, but I am not sure if it can maintain the same brightness levels as IMAX. Perhaps the IMAX guys can tackle that one.

Frank

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 05:03 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua asked:

quote:

What is the largest screen you can get with a 35mm setup and still achieve a good quality picture?

I would say about 15 metres (50 feet) for 35mm, Ive never seen a screen large enough that 70mm couldn't cope with it, so I don't know.

For the smaller guages 6 metres seems to be about right for 16mm, and about 3 metres for Super 8. The first two figures are roughly in proportion to the frame size, the last is rather less, due to no 8mm projectors being available which can put out enough light. Only a couple of xenon models were made, and they had rather small lamps. I think you could go somewhat larger without damaging the film, if someone made a projector with a bigger lamp. I once saw Super 8 projected on a screen of about 10 metres, and the image was very dim.

For occasional use with material which is not available on 35mm, I think it is acceptable to use these guages on larger screens with a less bright image; up to about 10 metres for 16mm, given a very good print, lamp, lens, projector and screen.

He then asked:

quote:

Also what is the largest screen you have seen? I assume that that will have been with an IMAX or 70mm setup...

Almost all cinemas I see have screens in the range of 6-15 metres (20-50 feet) and therefore within the range that can be handled by 35mm. This is not to say that I would not rather see 70mm, but there's very little of it around now; but plenty of places in London that could still run it.

The largest conventional screen I have seen was almost certainly at the Odeon Marble Arch, I'm not sure of the size, but it was advertised as being the largest in London, that place has now been divided up, but 35mm was not ideal on that screen. The next largest is probably at the Empire Leicester Square, I think that's about 17 metres, slightly smaller than the Marble Arch one.

The largest IMAX screen I have seen is the BFI one, I think it's anout 25 metres.

The largest screen of any type, not counting images projected on the sides of buildings, was probably a video system, it was, and may still be at the Tracadero Centre in London, a combined shopping and entertainment centre, with cinemas, video games etc. Very noisy, horrible place, it also once housed the 'Pepsi London IMAX Theater'. They had a sort of video wall system, but made up of multiple projected images rather than monitors, sometimes the whole area was used to show a single image, which I think must have been over 30 metres wide, slightly curved, and very wide aspect ratio. I've no idea what equipment it used.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel,

What equipment is used? What light level is acheived?

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bengies Drive-in in Baltimore Md. Has a 52 X 120 curved screen and for a drive -in its got A very good picture. To add to a previous post they run two machine and can do changeovers as well as run either machine of the platter

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-26-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, I believe that the largest IMAX screen is at the Panasonic IMAX Theatre in Sydney, Australia. It seats just 540, but the screen is 29.6m high by 35.7m wide. It opened in 1996. (1056.72m^2 screen)

The largest conventional cinema screen that I know of was the 40.24m (132 ft) wide screen at the Spektrum (4500 seats) in Oslo, Norway, but that theater is closed now. There used to be a great article about the Spektrum at in70mm, but the page was moved and I can't find it now. (736.4m^2 screen)

The conventional cinema with the largest seating capacity that I know of is The Radio City Music Hall in New York, NY. It originally had 5945 seats but now has 5910. It opened in December 1932, and still shows movies on occasion. The proscenium is only 30.48m wide, so the screen can't be any wider than that.

There is a drive-in theater in Farum, Denmark, with a 36m wide screen, which would be about 118 feet or so.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The proscenium is only 30.48m wide

Only! [Confused]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-26-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many 35mm screens larger than 25 x 60 feet, but screens much larger than that are a challenge to illuminate properly. It gets to be a balancing act between having adequate screen luminance and encountering heat-related issues like focus flutter. Of course. 70mm formats allow spreading the radiant energy over a much larger area of film, so much higher power levels can be used:

Here are some articles that I wrote:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/fall97.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/winter97.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/dec98.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/march99.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/spring98.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/feb97.shtml

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 07:50 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said:
quote:
Screen #4 at Kinepolis Liege is 80ft wide for Scope 35mm.
The auditorium has about 700 extremely comfortable seats with double-armrest and a lot of space for the legs. The screen is wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor without any masking or curtain (which is why I don't like seeing a film in this multiplex). The screen size is advertised as "24m X 10m" which is about 80ft in width. Considering the theatre layout, seats and aisles width, I easily believe the screen is really that big.

Being a recent multiplex, they didn't install 70mm [thumbsdown] They don't have Digital Cinema either. On this screen I already saw projections in Scope, 1.85 and 1.66 - the Scope image isn't very bright and the 1.85 projection looks a bit grainy (you really have to sit at the back half of the theatre to get a good quality picture.

Kinepolis Group theatres use Kinoton FP30/FP75 projectors on a general basis but I heard rumors that they chose Cinemeccanica for this precise multiplex site. However I was never interested to ask and visit the booth so I cannot be sure about that...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-26-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For you Cinerama geeks out there, the Villa Theatre in Salt Lake City has a scope picture at 78 feet wide. The Cinerama Strip Screen image was 93 feet wide, but the new solid sheet does not quite fill the width of the frame. Projection is by a Norelco DP-70 with Christie 7kw lamphouse and Schneider lenses. Image quality is primarily dependent on print quality and occasionally I have seen it look darn good, although with the distortion limitations of this huge curved screen. Best thing is that its about a mile and a half from my house!
Check out www.villatheatre.com
Mark @ CLACO

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 02:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel wrote:

quote:

On this screen I already saw projections in Scope, 1.85 and 1.66 - the Scope image isn't very bright and the 1.85 projection looks a bit grainy (you really have to sit at the back half of the theatre to get a good quality picture.

In the '30s and '40s theatres were much larger, 2500-3000 seats was common, and some were larger than this; our lagest was the Gaumont State, Kilburn at 4004. In these places the screens were quite small, I wasn't around at the time, but looking at old photographs which show the screens, and comparing to the still-existing buildings, I would estimate that many of the screens of this era, in very large theatres, were only about about 6-8 metres wide. While I would agree that an increase in size was desirable, the old screens must have looked very small from the back of the balcony in a place that big, haven't we now gone from one extreme to the other? this place is a relatively small theatre, 700 seats, in the old days the seats were packed in very tightly, so this is probably comparable in sze to an old theatre of maybe 1000-1200 seats, still much smaller than the old super cinemas; why does it need a screen of this size? I would suggest that it is just so they can say that they have a larger screen than somewhere else, possibly anywhere else. This sort of thing is nothing new, I'm sure that at Kilburn they squeezed in a few extra seats, probably with very poor sightlines, just so they could say that the had more than 4000.

I haven't seen the picture at this place, and I have never seen 35mm film, or even 70mm, projected on a screen of this size, but Lionel has used terms such as 'isn't very bright' and 'looks a bit grainy' to desbibe it, and my experience with screens of 15-17 metres suggests that anything much larger would not look good. Would it not be better to have a somewhat smaller picture, say 15 or 18 metres, but brighter, and less grainy? I know which I would rather watch.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 05:09 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

From my point of view, the best screen I've seen for conventional 35/70mm projection is the former Odeon Marble Arch in London, which you probably know. It was not too big, yet had the big size required for spectacular Scope and 70mm shows.

I just found more informations about the Kinepolis I was mentioning on their website (but no picture alas):

Seating capacity: 699
Distance from screen to booth: 42m
Distance from screen to first seating row: 12m
Theatre width: 25m
Screen size: 24m x 10m

In this multiplex, which has 16 screens, the smallest screen is 12m x 5m in a 211-seat theatre. But that's just a matter of architecture because they have one more 211-seat theatre where screen size is 14.4m x 6m and the distance from screen to first seating row is 8m.

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel

thats right,the most of the Kinepolis Plexes uses Cinemeccanica V5 Consoles and the CNR 3 Platter.
In Madrid and their first plex in Bruxeles is a theater with DLP.
And you are right with the sharpness of the Picture.

Greetings Mike

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 07:30 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I always thought it was the other way round: the majority of them used Kinoton but Cinemeccanica was used on an exceptional basis.

Anyway, they also say they have a "all-THX / all-JBL / all-DolbyDigital" policy. Can you confirm this?

Thank you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: