Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Sub problem. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS Sub problem.
Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently moved one of our LOTR prints to a house that has dolby digital as its main format, it also has the ability to plug in an external DTS unit to it. Running LOTR in Dolby digital we get too many dropouts(probably the print we had no problem with the previous movie, yes it's a basement reader), so I decided to run it in DTS. On the CP500 screen I noticed that the subwoofer is not used at all. All the other speakers/channels are used but the sub (Even during very loud scenes where the sub should definately be used). The thing is when I switch it over to Dolby Digital sk8, the sub is used (at least on the cp500 screen) and I can definately hear it in the auditorium.

Is there any way to fix this?

It is a Christie package, with a CP500, it has EX capabilities (SA-10)? It has QSC-700 amps, the thing I plug the various DTS connections into is a USL DPP10 (sorry I don't know what the exact term for it is.) I don't know whether its the connection to the CP500 (I checked the connections in the back and they all look ok) or if it's something that I will have to call a technician out for.
I know my way around the cp500 menus a bit so if anyone has any ideas (nothing that will blow it up [Razz] ) please post

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 05:57 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the cable may not be wired properly. If you look at the dts manual (on this site) page 45 I think tells you about the problems with a CP500 and dts6D and a non-functioning sub.

Did the 6D used to be wired with a different processor before? Maybe it is the the wiring in the USL thingy?

Mike

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 07:37 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike is absolutely right if you have NO subwoofer on DTS sound.
On the troubleshooting DTS manual you can find:

-

So check if your unit is 6 (two drivers) or 6D (three drives) and make the modification.

Bye

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 08:24 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo,
regardless of whether or not you see anything on the CP500 screen, are you getting anything out of the sub in the auditorium? If so, leave well enough alone.
Has the DTS unit been set up properly for use with multiple houses (i.e. all outputs set the same so that they work in every house?) Do you have one of the setup discs so that you can test the sub output?
Are you using format 11 external 6-channel or are you using a custom user format based on format 11 for your DTS?

Are you using the SA-10 for DTS as well as Dolby digital? If not it is easy to set up. What I have done is make an adaptor for the back of the SA-10. One side a DB25M the other side a DB25F. Pins 1-13 connected pin to pin except pins 5 and 8 crossed. remaining pins not connected. This is for the SA-10 automation input connector. This is assuming that you have Dolby Digital-EX set up for sk8 (lower right) and DTS set up for sk5 (upper right). Then a DPDT toggle switch (I used a ON-OFF-ON type) mounted somewhere (on the adaptor or on the front of the rack somewhere so that you can bypass the adaptor for normal Dolby-EX.
Jonathan

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALdo,

Use a DTS setup disc and test the DTS player's outputs. Perhaps the sub pot on the DTS player is turned down (it is a 20-turn pot). If that doesn't work, use the setup disc and check the DTS sub output with a meter directly at the back of the DTS unit. You should see at least 300mV RMS.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, there is no sound coming from the sub in the auditorium in DTS.

Antonio, which cable is the ANALOG cable exactly? Is it labeled? I have a 6D.

Karen, I don't have a DTS setup disc unforunately, how can I get one?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo, Antonio is on the right track. You HAVE to pull pins 16 and 18 from the audio cable if you want dts sub with a CP500. You don't have to buy their special cable, just get a pair of needlenose pliers out and yank them out of the male end.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 04:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo

Since there is no sound from the subwoofer in the auditorium there something to fix... [Smile]

However, I've read again your first message, you said that DTS cables end to an USL and I really don't know what is an "USL DPP10". Someone can help better of me on this.

It sounds strange for me: what could be between CP500 and DTS6D?

However, the audio cable is the one that are connected on the "Analog out" connector on the back of your DTS6D. IF this cable is directly connected to the CP500 you should find that the end of the cable that you connect on the CP are missing of two pins: 18 and 24.
Usually a cable that seems the same is used to connect the "automation" connector from the DTS to the CP500 "automation" connector. This cable has all pins. If you swap for mistake the cable, the result will be no subwoofer in the auditorium.

Karen is right too. You should check that all analog out, using the DS3 disk, are set at 300mV with the reference tone.

But before adjusting the level: Do you use this DTS player just on one screen with Dolby Digital too? Or do you use it also in other sound rack alone, without any digital format?

You can download 6D manual from DTS or from Film-Tech.

Hope that this can help!!

Bye

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aldo,

You can get a DTS setup disc from any of our dealers listed on our web site at www.dtsonline.com/cinema The current disc is the DS3 that is used with the E313-00 breadout board and D561 adapter for DTS-6 units.

Also, Brad has a good point, you must removed pins 16, 18, and 21 on the audio cable from the DTS-6D to the CP500. A drawing of it is in the DTS-6D manual. If you do not have a manual, go to our free online techcenter (same address as web site). All our manuals are posted there.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Karen!

I said it first!!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-08-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, the audio cable is the one that are connected on the "Analog out" connector on the back of your DTS6D. <snip> Usually a cable that seems the same is used to connect the "automation" connector from the DTS to the CP500 "automation" connector. This cable has all pins. If you swap for mistake the cable, the result will be no subwoofer in the auditorium.
If these cables were swapped you would have no digital sound at all.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to take a picture just to make sure before pulling any pins out. WiIll post it tomorrow.

Antonio I just use it on this screen as a backup sound format in instances such as this as it is our second biggest house. I think I know which cable you are talking about but we have an adapter in the back connected to the cp500 so I don't know whether to take it out of the adapter or the cable itself.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Karen, is it legit to post .iso images of the DTS setup discs somewhere (like on Film-Tech, if Brad was willing)? I realize it's a no-no for DTS movie discs because of studio intellectual property issues, but that shouldn't apply to the DTS setup discs. Right?

It might help out those people who need them in-a-pinch.

--jhawk

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

Are not "audio" and "automation" the same cable inside?

Aldo,

Are you using DTS sound as Dolby Digital "backup"???? [Eek!]

Bye

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-08-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, I thought you had meant only swapping one end of the cable so that you would have Audio to Automation and Automation to Audio.

If both cables are 25 conductor / 25 pin, then yes you'll have all audio but the sub. However if your automation cable only has the pins/conductors needed for your specific automation, chances are you'll be missing at least a few audio channels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: