Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How Do I use Kelmar Film Cleaner (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How Do I use Kelmar Film Cleaner
Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 01-17-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another newbie question on my quest to do things right.... We have the Kelmar dry media film cleaner in our facility that is referred to in various info docs on this site. I would like to begin using it - I would like to fix a lot of the wrong things I have been shown from the very little that anybody bothered to show me - this site has been VERY educational for me. I have found all the docs that show the parts diagrams, and I know which of our projectors have the mounting brackets and how to mount the unit. I am intelligent enough to follow the little line diagram telling me how to run the film through it as well. What I can't figure out is the media part, and how it is driven. I've spun the large film pulley by hand and nothing moves on the unit. I can't tell which roller the media should start on - I don't know if the media has been rewound or is at the end of its travel. We have a whole box of media for it, and the media is currently installed, so I know how it is supposed to go on there, but if I put on a new roll I don't know which side to put the fresh roll on when setting it up. Can anyone point me at an online document that will help with this? I've tried Kelmar's web site but that document appears to be conveniently offline. Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Click on the "Filmguard" link on the left. On that page is a picture of the machine loaded up and ready to run.

Remember that the media will advance VERY slowly, so you will have to spin the large drive wheel a few dozen times to see the media creep along. If you are not sure if it is working, put a small ink mark on each media, spin the large drive wheel by hand for about 30 seconds or so and see if the marks move. If they don't, then you are missing the rubber inserts in the takeup shafts or they are not being compressed to grab the takeup core. (You did tighten down the thumbscres finger tight, right?)

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where you can get these rubber inserts besides a supplier I mean would they be available at say home depot?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rubber inserts are not as common as they look to be! God knows we have looked. Home Depot definately does not have them (Think rubber hose).

We have found a very good sub but only for the black Film-Tech cores. Ours are a little oversized, just like the FT cores. The material we found turned out to be not plain old rubber and does cost a bit (not as much as Kelmar) but still more than logic would dictate based on the size of the thing. We sent Brad a sample pair to try out.

Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-18-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in the booth supplies aisle at Home Depot.

<sorry>

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-18-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy lots of booth supplies at Home Depot. Paper tape, white boards, floor mops, elastic bands, etc.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-18-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paper tape as in the white artist's tape to hold down film ends? I've always had a hard time finding that stuff even at art supply stores. (Fortunately there are online vendors.) That would be great if H.D. had it but I'm guessing you mean something else.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-18-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought the tape you speak of, paper tape, at Home Depot before. AFAIK the Canadian and American stores stock nearly the same stuff. I last bought some in October, next time I'm there I'll see if they still have it. Another place I've bought paper tape before is 'Michaels'... an artist / craft type store.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the film cleaner rubber inserts, automotive fuel hose works well and is available from any good auto parts store (even NAPA!) Paper tape can also be found at some music stores or audio rental stores (used as "board tape" for sound mixers etc.) Office supply stores sometimes have it as well.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-18-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The upside of using board tape is that you can get it in lots of pretty colors! [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem getting the paper-type masking tape from a local art-supply store. They sell grease pencils there, too, and their prices are lower than most mail-order places (not to mention that there is no shipping charge).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-19-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, you are from my home town! WAY TO GO!!!!! [thumbsup]

Welcome to Film-Tech. You already discovered Film-Tech to be the home of great people and craftsmen of their trade. [Smile]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-19-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I wonder where Scott shops. I had problems finding anybody who sold Permacel paper tape in Boston; last time I order it was $3.25/roll from buytape.com (for 3/4" rolls).

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnson Art Supply on Newbury St. I think the cost is in the $3-4 range, although it's been a while since I stocked up. The tape is on the second floor. It's some no-name brand (not Permacel), but works just as well.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-19-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Michaels was one of the places I expected to find it but didn't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: