Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Old Xenons. What to Do?

Author Topic: Old Xenons. What to Do?
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 06:59 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All again,
I have at least a dozen old xenon lamps and I know that I am not supposed to go and throw them in the trash or someone might get hurt. What am I supposed to do with them? Shall I send them somewhere for recycling!!!! [Smile] Anyway. Please advice
Demetris Thoupis

|  IP: Logged

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally wrap them in an old towel or blanket, and then throw them down a flight of stairs - Obviously, you need to ensure that they are well wrapped up, and that there is no-one likely to walk in on you while you do it. If you have an echoey stairwell, the sound can be quite alarming!

I know other people generally put them in a skip (wrapped up) and throw a brick at them - Has the same effect.

Mike

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea being that once they've been depressurised, they're no more dangerous than any other broken glass. Even with normal light bulbs I was taught to wrap 'em and smash 'em before throwing them away. Doing so ensures that there is no danger of the bulb breaking and a shard of glass puncturing the bin liner, which could be both dangerous and messy.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some links:

http://www.sylvania.com/forum/pdfs/faq0027-1098.pdf

http://www.ushio.com/safety.htm

http://www.sqpuv.com/high_safety.htm

http://osat-ext.grc.nasa.gov/gso/manual/chapter_26.pdf

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take em out to a field and use them for target practice.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-20-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make good hand gernades, too. [Big Grin]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 01-20-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just changed one a week or so ago and pitched the bad one in the empty dumpster - still enclosed in the protective plastic sheath that is supposed to protect you - in such a way that it would shatter. Well shatter it did, and in doing so it also destroyed the plastic thing that is supposed to protect you.... Makes one wonder if those things just have a placebo effect, and if a lamp actually decided to explode while in one would you really be safe.... Of course they do sound really cool when they go off!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-20-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got some neighbors you don't like Paul? [Big Grin]

Now there was one theatre I worked at that had some dumpy apartments with some real great tenants that we didn't really like... [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,,,,there is some guy on these forums that did something with them at.........
Mark

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 08:32 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually place them in the bottom of an empty metal popcorn oil can, put the lid back on and give it a good shake. [Wink]

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
................I eat a lot of KFC chicken, not using any napkins, then I handle the Xenon bulbs with my bare (greasy) fingers, trying to leave a lot of fingerprints for the forensics people. This gets all the anxiety out of my system and helps me to live a stress free life. Sometimes I do this after I have just done an oil change on the Honda.

[Cool]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I put it in the plastic shell, then repackage it in the box it came in (I always save all packaging when I install a new bulb), seal up the box really good with duct tape so that no shards of glass can fall out, and throw the box on the ground. I did open the box one time to see what it looked like and the plastic shell was not damaged. But I still would wrap it in something else to be safe.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it touch the ground vertically it doesn't explode...
 -
The LTI plastic protector is very weak and most of the times crash within the lamp.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German definately has the right idea...... [thumbsup] Target practice is another good lot of fun with them!
Mark

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use them for target practice, too. [Smile]

A Tokarev TT33, a couple of old Xenons and you've got yourself a grand old time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: