Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WB "pre-show" black band... why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WB "pre-show" black band... why?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thread about green band cutting reminded me of the curious procedure WB is currently doing; of putting in something like 30 seconds or so of black film between their "included" trailer(s) and the feature start.

Before we started adding policy strips between our trailer pack and the feature (and taking out most of this silence), people would occasionally come out and ask if something was wrong upstairs. Of course it's not, but some people sitting through it think you could just about make a trip to the head, then stop by the concession & fill up your popcorn before the WB logo starts! [Roll Eyes]

Anyone here know what the studio actually intends by this? They seem to be putting it on all their features now, so someone up there must have a reason.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-26-2003 03:03 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually seperates the feature from the pre-show and hopefully prevents people from chopping off the sound to the start of the feature.

I wish all studios would be as generous as Warner Bros. with black film.

I rather have a lot of black film than no black film.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...It actually seperates the feature from the pre-show and hopefully prevents people from chopping off the sound to the start of the feature.
Well yah... even I figured that one out.

It's the LENGTH that's got me. Idiot operators are going to cut the sound tracks off no matter what the studios do.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Train your projectionist's WHERE to cut the film.

So that they know from where the junk (and beep) and the analogue sound track starts.

When I top/tail ads/trailers, I will leave at the most two feet at each end and mark six ref frames.

I agree about too much black out film, I amazed that you have 30 seconds of it. I wonder who is paying for that wasted film.

I like a delay between ads/trailers before the feature, I normally try to use a 'policy' tag dolby/dts but it does not always work out to do that (in that some trailers are in scope. w/s then c/s trl the then w/s feature.. etc I HATE that.)

I don't think there should EVER be scope tralers, I think they should letter box them.

To me it's allways nice to run the ads/trl's in w/s with low lights then hit 'em with the DTS in c/s as the lights lower down then the Feature. Big SOUND Big PICTURE right there.
That tells you MOVIE has started!!!

Bill.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As a proud exhibitor of green bands, I appreciate the extra "pause" that WB prints provides. It's a nice place to lower the lights slowly. When the auditorium gets dead quiet and the lights start to dim, it helps to get the audience to shut up. (All other studios get a pause added by me anyway.)

I can see where theaters that cut off green bands would find it excessive, where for the first 10 minutes or so it's all slam, slam, slam, right in your face like tv...then this sudden 8 seconds of nothing. That would definitely be odd. (Jack, do you by any chance cut off the green bands?)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...I can see where theaters that cut off green bands would find it excessive, where for the first 10 minutes or so it's all slam, slam, slam, right in your face like tv...then this sudden 8 seconds of nothing. That would definitely be odd. (Jack, do you by any chance cut off the green bands?)
I have covered our process in that thread, Brad [Razz] and yes, we do cut them back , but not off. I leave about 2 seconds of the bands on.

By your description, I guess I may be a "slam, slam, slam" guy, though by leaving part of the bands in it really isn't that bad (certainly not as tight as tv)... and I think the compromise sets up a reasonable pace. I do think that cutting off the bands altogether can occasionally confuse a viewer as to whether a trailer has actually ended or "blended" into another element of the same ad. The green bands make good separators, if nothing else.

Oh... the WB black strip is more than 8 seconds... check it out sometime... and as for the time used for lowering lights, etc., that kind of detail is cool, but seems to me an individualistic form of artistic license that probably doesn't necessarily make one presentation better than another.

I can understand the thoughts of people like Manny, who think giving the audience time to absorb (and comment on) what they've seen is a positive element of their shows. The beautiful music FM stations of the '70s & '80s rarely ever overlapped their selections (or ads) so as to maintain a relaxed pace. To me though, trailers are produced at a pace that I find easier to maintain through a short period (rarely more than 10 minutes) by keeping things moving. Added to a policy strip that also is fast and to-the-point, and I think a level of "pre-show" excitement can be maintained up to the feature, rather than the roller coaster of "fast trailer", "fade to black until you hit the tail markings, then 10 seconds of "dead green band" before you kick them in the teeth again with a hard-hitting ad that stuffs a whole feature's worth of content into 2 or 3 minutes... which many of them do nowadays.

Just different ways of looking at things, I guess [beer]

My curiosity about what WB's doing comes more from the fact that none of the other studios are doing it, and WB's reasoning is unclear to me (not to mention what the cost of all that extra footage over an entire print run must be!).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-26-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack asked:
quote:
Anyone here know what the studio actually intends by this?
When Daryl answered what the studio's intention is:
quote:
It actually seperates the feature from the pre-show
Jack replied:
quote:
Well yah... even I figured that one out.

Jack, lighten up. You asked a question and someone took the time to answer it for you. It is indeed a separation element, a "pause for effect".

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed at 8 seconds. Maybe it's 10, I don't know for sure. I do know WB has been doing this for several years though.

The other cool thing about green bands is they show off the quality of presentation. No dirt, not a mark, a sharp and well cut aperture mixed with intense light makes for a nice short "damn we are good at our jobs" sort of showoff to the customers. [Wink]

Now if only the labs could print the images STEADY it would be great.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well known editor (he cuts all of a certain actor/director's films and they are always released by Warner Bros.) told me that he was the one who suggested that they put in the lengthy pause to give the audience a chance to settle and counteract the effect that is likely to be had if a big, loud action packed trailer is followed immediately with the more sedate opening of the feature.

I like the idea but I think it's a bit too long but as most theatres will be putting a feature presentation snipe in there leaving some black after it will add to the sense of anticipation.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...from Tim:
Jack, lighten up. You asked a question and someone took the time to answer it for you.

Oh, come on, Tim. Get a grip, will you? You jumped on this like I was slamming Daryl, which I was not. I was merely responding to what seems obvious, even to me in my ever-advancing years... that the silence is for some effect, duh!

My curiosity, and therefore my request, was for some form of intelligent speculation, or informed reasoning as to why Warner Bros (and nobody else) would put such a huge break in the flow that you almost wonder if everything is alright.

You really shouldn't be so sensitive, nor should you be so quick to jump to conclusions as to my intent. Nothing was intended to insult Daryl, I hope he didn't take it that way, and in any case... he's certainly capable of speaking for himself.

Incidentally, Thanks, Steve, for the above post. It does make sense from that perspective. My problem with it is that we, like so many others, separate our trailers from the feature with some form of policy strip. It's like saying, "OK... now here's our show.", and getting the big delay.

[edit... I just read your post again. You pretty much said the same thing... sorry!]...

It may be nothing but personal observation, but I've never cared much for it.

Brad, you're right about them doing it for a long time... I remember it as long as they've been running their current shot of their soundstages with the "as time goes by" theme... I don't recall if they did it before, though.

Green bands are great for dirt... but it doesn't apply here as we are religious converts to the Film-Guard system.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-26-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You really shouldn't be so sensitive,
It sounded mighty condescending to me. You asked what the studio's intention was for the black section and he told you. Then you proceeded to make him feel stupid for responding. There's no call for that.

Sensitive? Read your own half-page over-reaction, containing numerous inferences. You're the one who jumped.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Settle down children or no recess!

Jack wrote:
My problem with it is that we, like so many others, separate our trailers from the feature with some form of policy strip. It's like saying, "OK... now here's our show.", and getting the big delay

Yeah but who says you have to leave it all there? I'd leave some of it after the strip...maybe some before, too. But not all of it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, time for moderation.

Both of you two go to your rooms!

(There, that should do it. [Wink] )

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-27-2003 12:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fault. I posted that at somepoint through a major server overhaul and had been up for a couple days. If I had of been a little more awake I would have posted something similar to Brad and Steve.

What I really meant was the it gives a bit of spacing so that if nothing was inserted between the last trailer and the feature, people would not confuse it as being yet another trailer. -- Which I have personally done my self for about a minute... especially if the studio has a 'short' logo.

Sure sometimes they get a little carried away with the amount of black film included but I really prefer that anyway. I cut out the excess still leaving about about 20-25 feet. Then I keep the rest and use it for inserting between trailers that don't have at least 8 feet of black between them.

So why so much? Maybe to get an even length reel to avoid lab splices. Who knows. Do I mind it? Not at all. Do I wish the rest of the studios did it? Yes.

As for protecting the start of the fanfare... I've found that most both idiots will find the end of the attatched trailer and cut there. Since titles are easy to frame, it's easiest to do it there as opposed to trying to frame through a bunch of studio logos and black film with no frame lines. But that's just my experience over the last ten years. Yours may, and likely is, different.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, preceding the feature with a few seconds of black and silence as the lights dim is "Showmanship". Now if only theatres still had curtains. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: