Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica part # required

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica part # required
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for the part number of the electric dowser solenoid for a Victoria 8 projector. This is the one that lifts the #115 safety dowser assembly (momentary pulse, 110-volt).

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's 525 - Solenoid assembly. Look at the V8 manual in the manual download section - page 24 Fig.19.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolk used to have an essany replacement that would fit right in

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, John. Must of missed that one, first time around.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, Why not just bolt a Kelmar C/O right in place of it. Call them and discuss it with Tom. I bet it would work well. We've been installing them in DP-70's with great results...
Mark @ Claco
www.clacoequipment.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the Kelmar is they use a straight rod to lift the dowser plate on the cinemcainca vic8 the cable acually curves down around the shutter to the changeover plate

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Must of missed that one, first time around."

At first, I did too. I've worked on several V8's and I've never seen one with that shutter used actually used as the c/o - just used for fire-safety. I would think that the c/o would look kinda poor, because there's a delay while the outgoing shutter drops, since it's only gravity-pulled.

The V8 "zipper" style c/o shutter was the fastest one I've ever seen. WHAMM! Almost too fast; screws loosen on it. I also liked the microswitches they put in the "zipper" style solenoid - has come in very handy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, The Kelmar can be easily modified for cable drive!!!
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why reinvent the wheel when the original one is faster than anything on the planet

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He'd be likely to have alot less trouble in the long run.....
Mark

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 11:26 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is not intended for change-over operation. This solenoid is part of a kit put out by Cinemeccanica about 20 years ago for Vic 8's operated with a platter and remote-start automation. Formerly the problem was how to lift the safety dowser automatically.

It consists of two solenoids, one larger, which lifts (actually pushes the lever down from the non-operating side) the safety dowser. The other activates the "de-latch" mechanism that the upper-feed loop-guard is attached to.

This projector is also equipped with the Cinemecannica lever-type change-over unit (lever-type).

The manager here beleives (and he is quite right) that a longer useful bulb life can be achieved if the bulb is left on during operating hours. This theatre runs noon - midnight, with intermissions of under half an hour.

The problem is that on a Vic 8, the shutter is between the safety dowser and the change-over blade. If he leaves the lamp on during intermission, he eventually pays for a rather expensive service call (5 hours travel just to get there, an hours work and another 5 hours return) just for me to replace the now badly-warped shutter. The safety dowser, in other words, protects the shutter.

In several of his other auditoriums he operates this way and it seems to work fine for him. In this particular auditorium i tried to use a ceramic capacitor to prevent the emf pulses from this coil pulsing the CPA-10 automation. The cap, wired across the start switch eventually succumed to the collapsing pulse from this coil and shorted, turning the coil into a black motlen mess.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put a small resistor in serries with the cap to make a better snubbing circuit

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: