Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Unscrewing jammed lenses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Unscrewing jammed lenses
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I loaned out some lenses and a prime w/Magnacom came back screwed together, no wait, jammed together. Looks like the threads were not lined up squarely and someone forced it. Fortunately it looks like there was only a couple of turns to it, but I can't get them to break loose.

Anyone know of any tricks for this that won't damage the lenses?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mild heat (e.g., a blow dryer) might help. Part of the trick is getting a good grip on the two halves stuck together. Maybe try those rubber grippers used to open stuck jar tops?:

Jar Opener

Jar grips

Twister Jar Opener

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dosnt Heat cause metal to expand? wouldnt you try getting it cold? causing it to contract. just a tought...

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have access to the outside, you want to apply hear to expand the outside and hope you can do so without it transferring too much to the inside. So the outside expands and the inside stays the same, and then you can remove them.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a "Grip Wrench". You know those rubber strap wrenches you can buy on TV.

-

Use two of them in opposing directions. (They come in sets.)
It may bung up the threads if you force them but I think it's safe to assume that the threads are already beat up if somebody cross-threaded them so tightly you can't get them apart. You may be able to use a thread file to clean up the threads again. (If you can find a thread file with the right pitch.)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some lenses have threads 32 per inch, others have 36 per inch.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-27-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a last resort, put some rubber bands around the end and clamp it in a vice. Don't break the lens. [Frown]

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A vice will do the job put don't put to much pressure on the lens.
I used this method to get an Isco lens off a hypergonar scope lens and result was : I got them seperated but the ring in front of the Isco was disformed and useless, fortunely the lens fitted on a Isco Scope lens without this ring. [Roll Eyes]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try putting some rubber bands around the lenses, to get a better grip. I would avoid things like vices and lathe chucks if at all possible, it is very difficult to feel how much force you are applying, and very easy to damage the lens.

A lubricant can help, but you need something very light, like watch oil, or even kerosene or Diesel fuel. Apply a tiny amount, using a very small paint brush, or the tip of a pencil, at various points around the threads, and wait. As it is such a light oil it will be drawn in between the threads by capilliary action. If the parts are aluminium, enen a few small drops of soapy water may help.

As someone else suggested, moderate heat may help.

I have had jammed optical threads, on several occasions, and have always been able to release them by these means. It does sound as if you may have two threads with slightly different pitches, the clearance between the threads is enough to be able to screw them in one or two turns, but then they jam.

I have also had this problem when cutting threads myself, and trying them for fit, and the fit was slightly tighter than I thought. Aluminium threads are more prone to jamming than brass ones.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they make the Cap Snaffler anymore? [Confused] "And it really, really works!"

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-27-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I use this on pulleys:

-

I wrap a couple of layers of old belt around the pulley and then attach the wrench.

It may work for you.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vice grips and similar tools really should be the last resort. It's very easy to damage something. A little bit of heat and lubricant, and some friction-gripping device should work wonders.

If it wasn't a lens, hot water is often a good choice.

--jhawk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whack the thing with a hammer like the popcorn guy would do. [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regularly use a pair of those vice grips to get old siezed lens apart with no damage
Lubricants are out as I have seen them through capilary action get back into the optics

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, buy or borrow two of those strap wrenches and go to town on it. You get enough pressure on it and it will break loose.
Once you get it broke loose you will have it made.
If that doesn't work the I will be glad to explain how to pop it loose using two 5lb sledge hammers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: