Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Going out to a film reminds me why I much prefer to stay in (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Going out to a film reminds me why I much prefer to stay in
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here

Home Technology with Bill Lammers

Going out to a film reminds me why I much
prefer to stay in

01/16/03

My wife, Nancy, and I went to our first movie theater together six
months after we were married, a year and a half after our first
date. Somehow during our whole courtship, we managed to
avoid that dating tradition of dinner and a movie.

There were plenty of movies in our lives, but they all were shown
in my home. She saw such classics as "Citizen Kane" and
"Apocalypse Now" for the first time as played on my laser disc player, "Casablanca" on the
satellite dish and "Taxi Driver" on DVD. I saw the animated "Jungle Book" for the first time
from her daughters' videotape.

We have a life filled with
entertainment, but for the most part
it has been home entertainment.

On the first weekend of the New
Year, we managed to make it to
only our third theater movie in the
3? years that we have known each
other. It was a matinee of Martin
Scorsese's "Gangs of New York."
Big budget, big scenery, big
publicity - I figured we had to see it
on the big screen.

Big mistake.

If ever I needed a rationalization for
spending so much money on home
entertainment equipment and
programming, I got it that day at my
western suburban multiplex.

For the first half-hour of the movie,
the sound track dragged. Many of
the opening scenes of the movie
were without dialogue, so when the narrator sounded like Darth Vader on Quaaludes, I
figured it was just Daniel Day-Lewis immersing himself in the role, pulling another
chameleonlike job with his voice.

Imagine my surprise when I later found out that the narrator's voice belonged to Leonardo
DiCaprio, not Day-Lewis.

As the music came in and dragged, too, we realized that something was wrong and that no
one was volunteering to fix the problem. I went to the lobby and found a manager. She
made a call to the projection room. I missed about 10 minutes of the movie doing this.

Someone else in the theater also must have found a responsible person, because when I
returned, Nancy said that the sound had cleared up about a minute after I left the room.

All was forgiven - well, mostly it was forgiven - and we watched the rest of the film. I'm a
credit watcher - somewhat to Nancy's irritation - so we were the last two people remaining in
the theater as the movie was ending.

As the credits rolled, the one contemporary song from the movie's soundtrack, U2's "The
Hands That Built America," became just as garbled as the opening half-hour of sound had
been. Then, as the house lights came on and the credits became impossible to read, the
projectionist speeded up the film, making Bono sound like Pee-wee Herman with a hernia.

All the while this was going on, two theater employees hovered over us, waiting to swoop
down and clear our seats before the movie had fully ended. When I pointed out the bad
sound to them and told them about the earlier problem, the best I got was a shrug.

Bear in mind that we were being herded along at 3 p.m. The next showing was at 3:50 p.m.
We left with my deep-seated need to read every last credit unfulfilled.

Even with matinee prices, the cost of the movie, popcorn, coffee and Sour Patch Kids was
more than $20. That's about how much the DVD of "Gangs of New York" will cost in six or
nine or 12 months from now, when it is released in a special collector's edition with
documentaries, interviews and other extras.

This is why I spend so much time making my home entertainment system work well. This is
why I spend hours tweaking sound levels in the 6.1 surround-sound system. This is why I
scan Internet sites for release dates of DVDs. This is why I'm comparison shopping for my
eventual move into high-definition television. This is why I spend about $100 a month for the
full boat of service from DirecTV to be delivered to four rooms of my home.

Because Nancy works days and I work nights, we usually get only two nights and two days
together. The last thing I need to do is have one of those afternoons marred by a bad time
at a movie theater run by children and slackers with little idea of what quality service means.

When the sound doesn't synchronize with the lips on a DVD movie at home, I can fix that.
When the satellite goes out in the middle of "Oz" on HBO, I can sweep the snow from the
satellite dish. If the actors whisper or shout, I can adjust my sound system to fit my own
taste.

When Nancy has to avert her eyes from Day-Lewis and his meat cleaver - she's a nurse and
can't bear to watch on-screen mutilation - she can bury her head in a pillow on the couch
instead of peeking from behind her interlaced fingers.

Plus, I can make my own blankety-blank popcorn with real butter.

As we drove home from the theater and I ranted about the experience, Nancy said, "You
know, they ought to just release movies directly onto DVDs. I bet they would make just as
much money."

I wish that were true. I think the reality is that true movie lovers pay twice for a movie - once
in the theater and once to rent or buy the DVD or tape for home use. What I saw - and the
portion I heard - of "Gangs of New York" certainly will make me pre-order the DVD when the
release date is announced.

In the meantime, I'll be watching "The King of Comedy," another Scorsese masterpiece that
was released about 20 years ago. The DVD came out in December after a long wait by
Scorsese fans and the Jerry Lewis faithful.

The Lammers family premiere is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. Limited seating available. All the
popcorn we can eat. And an intermission whenever we want one.

Lammers is a Plain Dealer assistant news editor.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

blammers@plaind.com, 216-999-4162

© 2003 The Plain Dealer.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a prime example of "Film Done Wrong" and poor showmanship, except something in the story is "fishy" [Confused] --- few theatres have variable speed drives on their projectors that would allow having noticeably slow speed at one point, and then a significant speed up in the credits. What else could cause the problems described? Something here just doesn't add up. [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, perhaps the author needs to get his facts straight. Why would the projectionist "speed up" the film at 3:00 if the next one doesn't start until 3:50? I believe the author is embellishing some of the facts.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that if the presentation is that bad, what are the chances that the projectionist is standing at the projector to speed up the show anyway? I don't doubt he had a bad cinema-going experience, but some of what he is saying makes little sense.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When the sound doesn't synchronize with the lips on a DVD movie at home, I can fix that.
How? details, please.

quote:
When the satellite goes out in the middle of "Oz" on HBO, I can sweep the snow from the
satellite dish.

Yes, but this takes time (in my case, even FINDING the shovel would have taken the rest of the program!) The snowstorm might even be strong enough to knock off the dish!

I have to admit the temptation is getting greater and greater based on bad presentations I've seen, but I still can't shake that get out of the house mentality and experience the totality of the experience.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, you guys don't have those magical "Fast Forward" and "Rewind" puttons on your automation panels? Get with the times, maaan! [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-28-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only on one machine. It has frame by frame, pause, multi-speed forward and reverse, and resume from last position before system crash. Not too mention it's all on an LCD touch screen. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and how would the soundtrack "drag" for 30 minutes at the beginning of the film? I think this guy belongs with those writers who claim every theatre has sticky floors.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-28-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually now that I think of it... I have actually had these sound problems with a DTS-6AD. This happened to me during the opening of SWEPII. It turned out to be a faulty CPU board (D740).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What else do you expect from a "Film Snob"? His M.O. is "All multiplexes, bad; all single-screen palaces, good".

Give me the AMC Hamilton 24 any day.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Gangs of New York" at the Loew's Lincoln Square in NYC. That theatre usually does film right. I didn't think the sound was up to par, but I couldn't tell whether it was the mix, the print or the presentation. Some of the trailers shown before the film sounded fine. In fact, at one point in the film, I sat there wondering whether the film was actually being shown in Dolby-SR (analog), rather than digital (which I assume was SDDS.) The U2 song on the closing credits was definitely distorted.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The U2 song at the end seems to be recorded louder than the rest of the movie.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember experiencing the "dragging" sound effect and strange dropouts on a DTS showing of "Dark City" several years ago at a theater in Pennsylvania. As the unit lost sync, the sound would change pitch and sometimes drop out entirely.

I agree with you, Charles. The AMC Hamilton does a good job. If they could only keep out the drunken, loud-mouthed jerks who insist on ruining some shows, the experience would be better. I have friends who refuse to go there because of the annoying audiences. I've actually had people thrown out of showings there.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'speeding up' of the feature at the end; could a digital server be made to do this? I don't think our Qualcomm/Techinicolor server could, but maybe someone else's?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to find out what theater this was at and what their booth equipment was. From the (exaggerated) description, I figure it was either analog sound from a Simplex or digital sound from a dts player. There is nothing else I can think of that could produce what he described.

Simplex - later guide roller that won't stay closed. The lights down cue at the beginning of the feature could've popped it loose (seen it happen) and then 30 minutes into the film the projectionist closed it...only to pop open again at the lights up cue.

Dts - seen this happen on faulty timecode boards, where the sound speeds up and slows down quite badly.

I think it's safe to say that between these two, the Simplex answer makes the most sense. Even the sound synchronization is answered by the Simplex, as there is one recent Strong model (can't remember which one) that no matter how you size the lower loop will not be in exact sync.

This only leaves the "fast credits" issue left. I'll try and take a look, but I'll bet the ending credit roll is just fast.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: