Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SMART MOD 7 ... How Do They Rate? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SMART MOD 7 ... How Do They Rate?
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have one of these processors installed? .. If so, what are they like?

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

The SMART MOD 7 is not yet in production. Circuit boards are expected to be here in a few days, and then there will be the usual production and qc time before they are ready to ship. I expect shipments to be starting sometime in late February to March.

The MOD 7 is an extension of the MOD 6. We have taken the Circle Surround matrix, which normally sits idle while in Digital format, and through some additional switching and the addition of some more channels, we have pressed the matrix into use to derive the rear surround (ex) channel plus the overhead channel. (I had to convert the 4 layer MOD 6 pc board to a 6 layer board for the MOD 7 to get everything to fit.)

In essence, we have combined the stereo processor and ex processor into one unit.

e-mail me if you want more details.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 07:41 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply Oscar .... Now, Ok then ... how about the MOD 6? I am looking for 'field' experience... Sound quality? Reliability?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar:

How about putting the new Model 7 on Smart's "New Products" page? [Smile]

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Ken. That page is very much out of date due to my lack of time, laziness, higher priorities, etc., etc.

I will take care of it.

EDIT-Jan.30, 2003 10:50AM EST:
The page is now available. Go here:
http://www.smartdev.com
and select MOD 7 on the welcome page or select New Products from the navigation bar on the left.

[ 01-30-2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Oscar Neundorfer ]

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,

I know this is a post about the MOD 7, but I would like to issue a public kudos to you and SMART for the MOD2B DIT Model. This is one of the best things anyone can put into a drive-in booth. I am very pleased with the performance at the site I project at. The unit feeds AM, FM, and an old RCA field amp. I am glad to see companies take an interest in the unique needs on the drive-in industry. Hats off to the MOD2B DIT!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, want to make it even better.....Have Oscar show you how to install an EQ card in it for the field speakers. I did this in several installations and the field speakers go from sounding awful, to actually pretty decent.
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy the price on that new model 7 is mighty tempting! I'm salivating already.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My manager was salivating when he saw the price in 'Box Office' also ... hence my question here....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy you should see the deal that Smart is offering right now on the Panastereo/DTS6D combination....about 4K less than a 650 and reader! Thats really tempting! Now Matt.....how come you don't just go over , see Ray, and buy yourself a Panastereo.....?
Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-31-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Smart unit was premiered at CineAsia and according to Norm Schneider the response was extremely positive. His target market, since the major chains are finished building for a few years, is to give as many features at the lowest price for independents and export markets.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the Panastereo sells for $9,900 right? ...
I could land a Smart Mod 7 here for under $3000...... hence you see why the interest. Richard has hit the nail on the head. Small chains like ourselves are very interested in saving a few dollars if we can......

However, another question for those using the Smart units .... what's the SR emulation like?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, I don't know what the Panastereo sells for "Down Under" so to say, but here you also get the DTS 6D unit with it for about that muchn in USD. Thats also the best possible combination of equipment for overall a#1 sound quality. Reportedly the dealer cost on a CSP-1200 is a thousand less if you were able to buy it direct fomr Ray. Here the list is around $5000.00 give or take. Dont know but you may get more bang for your buck from a dealer here in the states....just a thought.
The SR emulation is just that...emulation, and is so-so. I wouldn't reccommend it personally. Thats actually another area that Panastereo excells in....Ray's SR really shines,is as good or better than the real thing!! Ya gets what ya pays for.....
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-31-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, List on a Panastereo CSP-1200 in the states is $6,260. Street price is typically less than what a Dolby CP-65 used to sell for.

In Austrialia, The list price is $9,900AUD. In American money, that is $5,825.00. However, List is not List between the American market and the Aussie market (different discount structure)...Street price is actually quite similar(once you go through the exchange rate).

Now as for quality and giving your customers their money's worth, there really is not comparison...the Panastereo is a much better value for all concerned.

You know what they say about trying to get something for nothing.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Much agreeed! Are youa ware of the special deal that started recently on the Panastereo's? Brings list price way below that...
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: