Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Oscilloscope

Author Topic: Oscilloscope
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just won the bid on a Tektronics Scope, a MDL 2336 100MHZ,44-440Hz,75 VA MA. I paid a 105 dollars for. Has anyone used one of these models. I am curious if this will be a good model to use or not, and where can they be serviced and calibrated.
Thanks [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike,

You can find information on the nearest Tektronix service and calibration shop at http://www.tektronix.com/
You can check with the service shop to see if that instrument is still supported. If not, then it is obsolete and you are on your own.

If you can get the operating manual for your instrument it is well worth the effort and cost.

The most important feature you will use in the cinema analog sound "A" chain calibration are the dual inputs and the ability to produce an X/Y plot to show the phase relationship of the two signals.

KEN

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-30-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is a GURU on Tektronix scopes. I am surprised he hasn't commented yet.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I don't know anything about the scope, but here is an excellent repair and calibration service:

Instrument Repair Service, Inc.
3135 Reps Miller Road
Norcross, GA 30071
770-447-6666
800-826-3759
http://www.instrumentrepair.com

This is where I send my Tek scopes, Fluke meters, Hi-Pot testers, etc. when they need service or calibration. I have been very pleased with their work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Thats from the later TEK scope line. I'm not as familiar with them as I am with the 400, and 7000 series scopes. I had a 2213(I think) and I gave it away to Josh....It worked fine but the CRT in it just did not give a decent trace....not sharp....I'm a fussy old fart when it comes tot est gear too and after I had owned it a while I found out that TEK had really cheapened the CRT's up alot. I can't claim this for your 100 meg scope though, just don't know much about it....I do know that parts are alot harder to get for the 2200 series though. Tek does not support ANY of the older CRT based scopes anymore, or any of the TM500 series of test gear. You would have to fix it yourself or take it to an independent calibration place for repair and calibration. Personally, its almost impossible to beat the 465, or 465B scope....many have bandwidths that go well out past the rated 100 meg....some almost make it to 200 meg! Alot of that response thing is all in how its tweeked and calibrated though. Same with the 7000 series modular lab scopes. My 7704A is rated at 200 meg but actually makes 350 meg at -3db with the 7A26 preamps it has in it. Thats pretty amazing for a preamp rated at only 200 meg! Keep in mind that your probes have to be this good too.....they mad many different scope probes depending on bandwidth, and other needs. They are also VERY presision instruments and need to be treated as such!! Its reasons like this that makes Tektronix the very best in oscilloscopes. Nothing else out there really matters if you're a critical person.
You might also want to sign up at the Tek Scopes group at Yahoo. There are a number of retired Tektronix field, and service engineers there and they are glad to assist with any questions or help you may need.
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked under Yahoo groups and did not find the Tek Scopes group. Could you give me a little more detail to go on.
Thanks

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, try this link....it should work.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/messages
It says for tube Tektronix scopes but don't let that mislead you!!!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: