Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Final Destination 2 DTS problem.

Author Topic: Final Destination 2 DTS problem.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have problems with this movie playing in DTS? One of the theaters in my company is having problems with the digital switching on and off on three different reels. I haven't run our print yet so I don't know if have a similar problem.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a weak DTS timecode reader. I have had that happen before. When they are weak they have a lot of trouble reading timecodes that may not be tracking on the film correctly or when the timecode is not consistntly bright and legible for the reader to pick up.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
So what can be done about that? Just replacing it?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can go to the DTS web site and get the directions on how to check and set the LED's. But if your reader is an old one 5 years or older you would want to get a replacement from DTS.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 11:21 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the DTS track on this print seemed unusually narrow, but thought nothing of it. I haven't heard our print yet.

=TMP=

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 11:27 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well according to them, the unit was working perfectly with whatever they were playing in there before. I would think that it would be some what of a coincidence that the unit would stop working just as they were screening FD2. But I've been here long enough to know that pretty much anything is possible.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

If only a few reels are having drop-out problems and you see that the timecode track is narrow, I'd say those reels are bad and should be replaced.

Checking your reader (as mentioned) is always a good idea. It should be done about twice a year and is easy to do. If you need the tech notice, please send me an email and I'll send it to you.

If a reader will not adjust to the proper level, you must do a repair/exchange on the reader.
Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: