Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Surround EX Problem.

Author Topic: Dolby Surround EX Problem.
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im having a little problem at work. We run Surround EX on our 4 largest screens through CP-500's. My problem is that sometimes when the automation kicks in digital sound, the processor starts off muted. This only happens on these 4 houses and usually not on every start-up but at least once a day on these screens. Has anyone ever had this problem or would know what the problem is?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-05-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What automation is it?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-06-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably electrical noise on the automation input of the CP500. There is also a Field Bulletin about a similar problem.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently run Component Engineering TA-10 automation on all of our screens.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, is this Devonshire mall?

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Rick it sure is. Im sure you guys were there installing everything up to open so I figured you or Keith would probably know the answer to this one.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The system is set up as follows. At event one (you pushing the start button), the automation pulses MUTE on the CP500. Then at event 2 (Douser open) the automation pulses SK3(format 05). Then the auto digital takes it to SK4 (SR-D). What is most likely happening is the CP500 is ignoring the event 2 pulse to go to filmsound, and therefore staying in MUTE (and non-sync). I have run in to this quite a lot with CP500's with SA10's hooked up to them. There is a real quick fix, but it involves a bit of rewiring at the automation.Probably best to get Keith or my dad to do it next time they're out there. E-mail me if you like.

Rick Long Jr

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Also, though, I have found this problem a lot more prevalent with the upgrade to cover EX (1.61?) on the 500's.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-10-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP-500 firmware 1.61 is very bad...the ignoring of format pulses (particularly non-sync) I have found to be previlent.

I downgrade all non-EX theatres to 1.31...all problems just vanish (including the old favorite...memory dump).

There is a version of 1.5 (I think it is 1.51) that will work with EX and won't have the other problem (misses automation pulses).

Steve

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 01:28 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely appreciate all the help and info guys! This is one our top priorities on the maintenence logs and hopefully have it taken care of next time Best comes our way.

P.S. I like the "Film Done Wrong" effect on Steves picture! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: