Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon warranty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Xenon warranty
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

I wonder how Osram manage warranty of their lamps.
For example: I have a 7000W in one of our projector. On the datasheet Osram says "500h average life". Does it means that Osram will pay for everything can happen within 500hours?
If the lamp explodes at 450 hour destroying the mirror and the shutter will Osram pay for a new lamp and the damages?
Or will Osram pay for part of the damages while "average life" time is approaching?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my limited knowledge, teh manufacturer will not cover any damages incurred by a bulb that exploded within the warranty specs. I've been quite fortunate in that over a 15year periiod, I've only had 3 bulbs go back under warranty due to premature failure. None of them exploded, except one that was blown up inside the case upon reciept, and that only happened once.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

I never experienced an exploded bulb. But I'm sure I've heard about exploded lamps where mirror and part of the projector has been damaged an Osram paid for the damage, once they verified that the failure of the lamp is a factory fault.

Antonio

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, you need to read the actual warrantee, as coverage may vary with the lamp manufacturer and maybe even the country. There is no standard coverage.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John

Antonio

Erik Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Erik Stevens   Email Erik Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had a bulb prematurely die. It did not explode, but became very dull during one session. The bulb was an Osram 3kW. They are covered under warranty for 1500 hours. Mine lasted 1400 [Eek!] . The rep from Osram is comming out on Monday to take the bulb for inspection, and complete the paperwork.

I believe that anything under its "Rated lamp life" is under warranty. I will find out exactly from the rep on Monday, and let you know.

Ciao,

Erik

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all the headaches that we all experience, dealing with some of these companies, this has thankfully been one area where I've never had any problems. I've had 3 lamps die under warranty before (thankfully no explosions, only xenon leaks. Erik, was this your problem as well?), and have never experienced any problems with getting them replaced/refunded. Normally when you get a new bulb, on the warranty sheet, there should be a fairly definitive list of what the warranty does & does not cover. And I hope to never have to find out of Osram will cover expenses for damaged mirrors & shutters [Smile]

Erik Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Erik Stevens   Email Erik Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, the bulb leak was the problem that I had. This is the second one in my experience that has 'gone' like this!

Ciao,

Erik

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The better lamp manufacturers will cover the reflector/mirror if their lamp explodes within warranty but no other consequential damages (lost revenue or shutters).

The warranties are divided into 2-parts (in all the warranties I've dealt with on xenon lamps)...100% coverage and Pro-rata coverage. The 100% coverage is typically 50% of it's rated life. So if you have a Christie CXL-20 lamp with 2400 hour warranty, for the first 1200 hours they will cover 100% of the replacement cost of the lamp and/or the reflector if it exploded.

After 50% of the rated life, it goes to the sliding scale in the pro-rated life where they will still cover the reflector but only a portion of the lamp (you did get significant use out of it by then).

On larger lamps, like 7KW..the pro-rated section begins VERY soon...like 50 Hours into its life.

The above stuff is true in the USA...different countries may vary in their warranties.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-07-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a lamp explode right next to me (it was really loud). Osram replaced the lamp and paid for mirror and heat filter.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2003 03:33 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about other bulb manufacturers other than Osram, but I feel their warranty policy is very good. For example, the the UPS guy dropped a bulb while delivering it to our Las Vegas theater. Osram covered it, without submitting it to UPS. They have bought us new reflectors in the past, also. The only thing with them buying replacement reflectors is, it takes about two months for them to evaluate and pay, and you must buy a new one yourself and give them the receipt. That is, you can't just keep the money.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Erik.
After the rep has been, could you let me know the results also for my own info.
We find that Ushio lamps are good.
John Spooner. Adelaide, SA.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all replies!

Antonio

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ciao Antonio,

On My knowleldge Osram and Other Lamp manufacturer will only replace the lamp if die at the half of is time life. In other cases the theater owner may receive a financial compensation regadless of the number of lamp burning.

Bye,

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-08-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a bulb blew under warrenty, I just continued using the mirror even if it was badly "wanged". Of course, if you have a glass mirror and it shatters, that's a different story. When the new mirror arrived, that's when I change it.

The last "Q" arc that blew....well, I don't think the manufacturer supplied a new mirror. The dealer sent us a used one, but it was like new. I am not complaining. I think the dealer got stung on that one, and he acted in good grace to give us something that was equal to (if not better) than what was in the lamphouse when it was purchased as used equipment.

Nice to know that there are some dealers that have a heart out there... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: